Trying to Find a Book I Read as a Child in Primary School. Anyone remember?

(12 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Fri 11-Apr-14 08:37:44

A book series (I think) about a boy called either Tim or Sebastian. He had a black cat. Possibly the cat was called sebastian. He went on adventures with his cat, I think he travelled on a broomstick (but might not remember that right) and one of the stories he had a highwayman in it.

I was about 7? so, 1984 or so? they were not picture books, but I don't think they were longer books like Roald Dahl, smaller with some possibly black and white pictures on the odd page? The books were not bright and colourful, dark I think (I am thinking dark plots but that might be my mind interpreting the cover of the book?)

I asked at the library and they have no clue what I am talking about, neither do any of my friends of a similar age.

Do you lovely lot know what I am talking about?

(and, while I am at it, the librarian said she is trying to remember a child's programme where a monster looks through a window and into a story….grin)

PavlovtheCat Fri 11-Apr-14 08:39:38

Found it!!!! Tim and the Hidden People! There is a book called the Highwayman! grin

Cat was called Tobias not sebastian.

Fletcherl Fri 11-Apr-14 08:41:55

I think it might be part of a series called 'Tim and the Hidden' people by Shiela Mc Culllagh.

wannabestressfree Fri 11-Apr-14 08:42:34

Do you remember a book called carbonel about a cat? We were read it at school (same era) smile

Pleasenomorepeppa Fri 11-Apr-14 08:44:51

I remember Tim & The Hidden people. I loved them!
Off to Ebay grin

PavlovtheCat Fri 11-Apr-14 08:50:24

Me too! I am going to buy some for my children. I have been trying to find them for ages. Think DD might be a little old, but maybe not (she is 7.5 but fluent reader, Roald Dhal level now) but DS is 4 so perfect start for him and maybe DD can help read to him too.

<off to ebay>

RustyBear Fri 11-Apr-14 08:58:06

I loved Carbonel, wannabestressfree!
There were three books, Carbonel, King of the Cats, and The Kingdom of Carbonel, which I read as a child, and then the author (Barbara Sleigh) wrote another in 1978, Carbonel and Calidor. I found it when I was a children's librarian and read it eagerly, but was disappointed - I'm not sure if it was because I was older, or because the author was, but the magic just wasn't there.

nonicknameseemsavailable Fri 11-Apr-14 09:12:20

I found my old copy of Carbonel in the loft a few weeks ago. I remember really liking it but like RustyBear says I do wonder if it is as good now. We have lots of old books that I loved as a child (and my sister) and we have tried reading some to our girls and whilst some have been very appreciated, others have fallen completely flat which surprised me.

OwlCapone Fri 11-Apr-14 09:13:24

I loved Carbonel. smile

RustyBear Fri 11-Apr-14 09:23:05

I still like the first two nonickname, I do think the third just wasn't as good.

NotCitrus Fri 11-Apr-14 09:24:07

I loved the Carbonel books but found Calidor the kitten very annoying.

batgranny Mon 01-Aug-16 10:51:02

If anyone is still looking for information on these books I have a site dedicated to them timandthehiddenpeople.net It has a rundown on each book in the series with some great examples of the artwork in the books. I hope thias helpes someone out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now