Do you volunteer at your child's school? What jobs do you do?

(46 Posts)
PenguinBear Wed 26-Mar-14 20:41:50

Just interested to hear what you do and whether you have any say in it atall?

Cakecrumbsinmybra Thu 27-Mar-14 21:24:59

I go in once a week and listen to reading usually. However the last few weeks I have been helping with spelling, handwriting and, this week, maths. Which is good as I was getting a little bored with all the same reading books! I decided I'd rather do this sort of thing than the PFA.

Cakecrumbsinmybra Thu 27-Mar-14 21:26:37

That sounds great zaphod

Cakecrumbsinmybra Thu 27-Mar-14 21:30:27

Scottishmummy, nobody would think badly of you not going into school - so why look down on those who do? I don't feel a 'need' to do it - I enjoy it and the school are always asking for volunteers. And I have the time - sorry about that.

Parentingfailure Thu 27-Mar-14 21:31:27

In my dc school it is a badge of honour to help in school. There's a rurally a waiting list. Every single one is a sahm, none of the working parents do it.
My dd would love me to but it's impossible when I work 50+ hours a week. I really don't think it's true that working mums help out at all.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 27-Mar-14 21:31:40

I work, but I am on the PTA so I support the school in that way as I'm unable to be there for school hour activities.

Some of us are so amazing that we can do both wink

Parentingfailure Thu 27-Mar-14 21:31:53

Actually, not rurally

HumphreyCobbler Thu 27-Mar-14 21:37:51

I used to volunteer in the school I also did supply teaching in. It is the school my dc attend. I did a lot of assessment activities as a volunteer. It was bliss to be able to do this without managing a class at the same time, but it would possibly not have been appropriate for me to have done this had I not also worked at the school. They knew they could trust my confidentiality.

I like to see how long it takes scottishmummy to post something insulting on threads like this.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 27-Mar-14 21:39:41

I can assure you I didn't faff. I used my professional knowledge to benefit everyone.

But the other helpers were hugely beneficial to the children, esp those whose parents never bothered to hear them read at home as volunteers gave them the opportunity to practise.

Lesleythegiraffe Thu 27-Mar-14 21:55:12

In my school, we've found that having parent "helpers" in school is more bother than it's worth.

The ones we've had are only there to snoop and tittle-tattle to their friends about which child is in which reading group etc etc and who got told off by the teacher.

We now have no parent helpers and are getting on just fine.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 27-Mar-14 22:06:11

I agree it can be not so beneficial Lesley, I have had to put off unsuitable parents who were only interested in snooping in classes I taught before now. It has to be managed properly if it is going to work.

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 27-Mar-14 22:29:51

Some teachers love them others hate them. Depends on the reason they want to do it, if they cant bear to leave their PFB then they are not likely to be of any use or they want to gauge where little Tommy is compared to others.

Ours has some parents that read or gardening, they are generally not allowed to work with their childs class which does tend to weed out those doing it to be with their children.

Hawkshaw Fri 28-Mar-14 09:11:54

I do maths with some children in my own child's class and it's working out fine. I haven't felt the need to snoop on levels or cling to my child who I see quite enough of out of school. Plus I have a job. And 'my' maths group are doing really really well. I love helping. It's a lot of fun.

Zipitydooda Sat 29-Mar-14 10:46:57

I run a Code Club teaching children (y4-6 so far) computer coding. They create their own computer games.
It's so enjoyable and seeing the progress they make and the increase in their confidence as they progress. They are developing really useful skills such as logically solving problems and collaboration with each other as well as the coding.

NewtRipley Sat 29-Mar-14 13:11:57

scottishmummy's SAHM-thread batphone just went off and she's swooped into action

NewtRipley Sat 29-Mar-14 13:12:51

OP

I used to volunteer - daily small group reading, It got me an actual Job so I could stop faffing around

NewtRipley Sat 29-Mar-14 13:14:24

Lseley

That happened at our school. Some people wouldn't know confidentiality if it stood up in their soup. So it was stopped for a while then reinstated with stricter guidelines

chocolateshoes Sat 29-Mar-14 13:21:25

I work 3 days a week and on one of my days off I listen to readers. Our school asks for volunteers to do certain jobs and we sign up at the meet the teacher evening at the start if the year. Other jobs included going to the swimming pool with them, helping in reception, changing the reading books, cutting stuff out.

scottishmummy Sat 29-Mar-14 13:50:38

You're slow on uptake newt,you noticed on Saturday that I posted Thursday
I think you need to swop to be quicker on uptake if you're going to take the piss
And it's not a housewife thread?its a who's a school volunteer thread

Retropear Sat 29-Mar-14 15:09:58

No but you still managed to attack sahp.

"the PTA types can volunteer seeing they don't work and do faff all"

hmm

NewtRipley Sat 29-Mar-14 18:39:00

Believe it or not sm, i am not onMn all the time.

It not being about housewives, how is it you brought that into it in your first post? Ironic.

Bonsoir Sun 30-Mar-14 11:09:13

Yes I do, but I stay right on the margins of the Parents' Association (French equivalent of a PTA) and volunteer in a very specific way on a very specific issue (bridging the numerous gaps in the English curriculum).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now