School Strikes 26th March - Invoicing the LEA

(433 Posts)
Bexinder Fri 21-Mar-14 11:47:46

Just wanted to share what I'm doing, and I wonder if we can get some sort of campaign going. Lots of UK schools are closed due to teacher's industrial action next Wednesday 26th March. Given that we parents have absolutely no leeway when it comes to taking children out of school during term time and will be hit with heavy fines per child if we do without permission, I'm invoicing my local education authority for failing to provide education on this day. They haven't asked MY permission to allow the school to close.....Now I'm not expecting them to pay this at all, but I am wanting to cause a stink. They can close the school over the pay and pensions row, but I can't take my children out of school for a funeral.
Sorry - rant over... if anyone wants to copy the invoice, let me know and I'll post it. Thanks!

17leftfeet Fri 21-Mar-14 12:29:13

Hands OP a grip

It's not the teachers decision to fine parents

It is their right to strike over what is a very important issue

Teachers are invaluable and as a parent I support the strike as I want my children's teachers to be in happy secure jobs so they can do their best for my children and be advocates for their profession so more well educated, enthusiastic graduates see teaching as a credible and viable career choice

BTW Gove never asked my permission when he threatened to get rid of my subject (as it's not 'important' enough for the "Big 8") and left me wondering if I will have job this time next year.... I am only trained to teach one subject. No subject, no job. Doesn't matter to him that I am a consistently outstanding teacher with 90% A*-C pass rate in a socially deprived area.

Did he ask your permission when he overhauled your DC's curriculum, or turned your DC's school into an academy? Didn't think so hmm

VillaVillekulla Fri 21-Mar-14 12:30:56

What a bonkers thing to do.

Agree with this: The sun's a good choice. They like massive tits. Which is what you are going to look like if you carry this plan through.

Damnautocorrect Fri 21-Mar-14 12:52:34

The teachers are striking to protect the gift of education that our children are thankfully entitled to in this country.
Gove is trying to destroy this and turn education into a business.
If my ds's teachers strike I back them.
Good luck with your silly misunderstood campaign

oh dear god almighty, really?

Do you think the strike is because people want a random wednesday off work?

TheGreatHunt Fri 21-Mar-14 14:13:56

Maybe if the government stopped fucking about with education then teachers wouldn't strike.

We are not a dumbass nation so our education can't be that bad. So fuck off Gove.

Although given that the sun is such a widely read paper even though it appeals to 14 year old teenagers with page 3 (I mean come on, named breasts. Grow up) maybe I'm wrong.

TheGreatHunt Fri 21-Mar-14 14:14:38

*naked not named. Although to sun readers, they are just that. Breasts with a name.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 21-Mar-14 14:16:50

What exactly are you invoicing them for? This should be interesting.

BreconBeBuggered Fri 21-Mar-14 14:20:32

I would actually like to see the invoice. Is this very wrong of me?

ninaprettyballerina Fri 21-Mar-14 14:21:19

morethan people are being forced to take time off work so presumably recompense for lost earnings

HauntedNoddyCar Fri 21-Mar-14 14:21:54

But the NUT aren't behind the fines. So suing them for failing to provide education is nonsensical. You are getting in a pickle here.

TheGreatHunt Fri 21-Mar-14 14:23:02

Unless you take unpaid leave ninaprettyballerina or are self employed then there is no loss of earnings.

headlesslambrini Fri 21-Mar-14 14:27:13

The LA have met their obligation to provide education by providing schools and teachers. They are not in charge of strike's.

It used to be illegal under a.strike to take one member of staff from their duties to cover someone else who is on strike which is why some classes are in and some are not.

Also DCs are individuals, why should a younger child be kept off school when their teacher is in when the older one is off. If there wasnt a stike on, you would still be doing the school run so what difference is it. Its not an excuse for a lie in.

ninaprettyballerina Fri 21-Mar-14 14:31:30

Im not affected next week but if I were then I'd be forced to take unpaid leave thegreathunt
Not defending the OPs actions btw, just suggesting what the invoice would be for

Parliamo Fri 21-Mar-14 14:32:37

Am annoyed I wasted my time reading this goady stupid shite. There doesn't seem much point trying to summon the energy to argue with it. I'm impressed anybody is trying.

Sometimes I wish I washer witty. There must be some scope for taking the piss here surely?

LackaDAISYcal Fri 21-Mar-14 14:33:20

"The sun's a good choice. They like massive tits. Which is what you are going to look like if you carry this plan through."

grin

Parliamo Fri 21-Mar-14 14:33:46

*was more literate, as well as more witty

During the last strike a stupid parent at our school threatened to do this, but taking her invoice into the school instead.

She is a SAHM

hmm

'The Sun are going to back this'

You are a loon and I dont believe that for a second.

WhatEverZen Fri 21-Mar-14 14:35:02

I had no problem with the school authorising a day off for a family funeral and i have no problem with people using their right to strike, however inconvenient it personally may be to me.

I fully support our teachers... and no, Im not a teacher. Just a parent with 2 children in our education system that some politicians think they can play political football with and ignore the advice of those who actually know what they're talking about

girliefriend Fri 21-Mar-14 14:39:06

I think op you may be missing the point, one of the first of many stupid policies Gove pushed through was to clamp right down on unauthorised absences.

Teachers are striking because of Gove and all of his policies which are so detrimental to our childrens education. Rather than 'kicking up a stink' you should be cheering them on!!

ChocolateWombat Fri 21-Mar-14 14:39:21

Crazy! Sounds like a total failure to understand what striking is about and the huge difference between the government policy on school attendance and the general principle of striking.

Any member of the labour force can strike at any time. Someone on strike is withholding their supply of labour (without pay of course) in order to make a point to the employer. Collectively striking aims to force the employer to give into, or compromise on the demands of the employees. Typically these demands include pay, pensions, working conditions, hours etc.
Strikes are usually organised by Trade Unions, who are independent bodies which members pay a fee to belong to. They call a strike as collective action is more effective than individual action. The strikes are certainly not organised by the employer, school or LEA.
The whole point is that they cause disruption. The disruption is to force the employer to consider the demands of the employee. Just like a train drivers strike, it will cause disruption to the customers....in this case, the children and their families.
You can look into what the dispute is about and you can join the campaign if you think it is fair. Or you can feel annoyed about it....it is intended to make you feel like this.

The LEA have not called the strike. The government have not called the strike. They both are keen for it not to happen.
The government has ruled that non attendance at school can be fined. The LEA enforces the rule.

Sending the invoice will not get you anywhere. It will just show a failure to understand what is behind these 2 very separate issues.

girliefriend Fri 21-Mar-14 14:40:02

Also had no problem getting dd 'authorised' for a family funeral hmm

Pooka Fri 21-Mar-14 14:42:17

I also had no problem getting authorisation for dd and ds1 to attend my fil's recent funeral. First day off in term time for several years, apart from tonsillectomy and other illness.

scottishmummy Fri 21-Mar-14 14:46:01

Gosh how irrational.teachers have right to strike,irrespective of whether you inconvenienced

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now