School Strikes 26th March - Invoicing the LEA

(433 Posts)
Bexinder Fri 21-Mar-14 11:47:46

Just wanted to share what I'm doing, and I wonder if we can get some sort of campaign going. Lots of UK schools are closed due to teacher's industrial action next Wednesday 26th March. Given that we parents have absolutely no leeway when it comes to taking children out of school during term time and will be hit with heavy fines per child if we do without permission, I'm invoicing my local education authority for failing to provide education on this day. They haven't asked MY permission to allow the school to close.....Now I'm not expecting them to pay this at all, but I am wanting to cause a stink. They can close the school over the pay and pensions row, but I can't take my children out of school for a funeral.
Sorry - rant over... if anyone wants to copy the invoice, let me know and I'll post it. Thanks!

rollonthesummer Wed 26-Mar-14 12:44:22

Junior school next door to my school has OFSTED in today and tomorrow. Half their teachers are striking today. Not sure if that would be good or not, thinking latter tbh.

I hope the school isn't penalised for the strike. Will you feedback on here and let us know if the strike is mentioned in the Ofsted report when it comes out? I'd be really interested to know.

Feenie Wed 26-Mar-14 13:33:54

There is a school near me which I suspect deliberately does not employ NUT teachers.

There is no way they could possibly find out before employing them.

Philoslothy Wed 26-Mar-14 13:49:10

You don't know what union teachers are in when you employ them.

A school where nobody striked would worry me, suggests an over controlling head, a climate of fear and rather weak teachers.

At our school the NUT staff who are striking tend to be the passionate, successful teachers I want teaching my own children. Overall this is not the case the NUT teachers who are not striking.

As others have said, there is no way a school would know what Union you are a member of. For the record, after 13 years I changed unions this year to join the NUT after getting so pissed off at all the meddling in education and disruption for our students and to us as teachers trying to support them.

BreconBeBuggered Wed 26-Mar-14 15:24:56

I'm not sure how heavy the MN demographic is on Sun readers, but was there any sign of this bullshit story actually appearing in the end?

That is a relief (that union status is unknown). But the school is never closed. I looked around it and sent my child somewhere else.

Philoslothy Wed 26-Mar-14 16:27:13

Sometimes people switch unions according to the union presence in a school, this may be more pronounced in the primary sector. If I started working at a school and everyone else was in the NASUWT I might switch . Although they should have striked last time.

Hulababy Wed 26-Mar-14 20:11:38

rollonthesummer Will def try to rememeber too; added thread to watch to remind myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now