Computer programming

(21 Posts)
Picturesinthefirelight Thu 30-Jan-14 15:20:29

Wasn't quite sure where to put this question

Dies anyone have a reccomendations if a guide to computer programming for 9 year ds. He wants to learn how to make simple video games like notch did when he was 8!

Dd has a raspberry Pi & uses python (she's 12) & I think they have come across scratch at school but its all a bit double Dutch to me

He's really enthusiastic about it.

stoopstofolly Thu 30-Jan-14 16:07:18

No info, but marking place as DD 8 is really keen to learn.,,,,

jomidmum Thu 30-Jan-14 16:09:32

Code Academy website is really good.

AnswersToAnything Thu 30-Jan-14 16:14:47

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/begin-programming-2014

Free, online course staring at the end of February.

Oblomov Thu 30-Jan-14 16:25:41

Looks fab. Will talk to dh about it for ds1(10).
Thanks a lot.

stoopstofolly Thu 30-Jan-14 16:34:43

Thanks!

Erac Thu 30-Jan-14 16:45:08

If he has a ipad Hopscotch is a great app that helps give a visual experience on the concepts of programming. It's a fun way for kids to start.

WingsontheWind Thu 30-Jan-14 20:02:12

Kodu is another good one

spanieleyes Thu 30-Jan-14 20:25:39

We have Scratch

midweekGandT Thu 30-Jan-14 21:34:47
MrsMot Thu 30-Jan-14 21:41:41

Get him to do the Hour of Code at code.org. Great introduction

mostlysinging Thu 30-Jan-14 21:41:43

My son started on Scratch and is now using Kodu which both seem good.

There is project on Kickstarter called 'Hello Ruby' which is trying to get backing for a book for programming for children and on one of the updates there is a list of useful websites for children who want to code - it has some of the ones mentioned above as well as some more.

Hulababy Thu 30-Jan-14 21:42:53

I would recommend Scratch - a very visual programming language aimed at this kind of age. I have taught it to Y2 children quite successfully. It is also free and no need to download - can be done online.

Lots of books available for it too, plus tutorials. There is also an app with tutorials too.

All children will (should) start coding, beginning with the basics in Y1, from September - as part of the new Computing NC curriculum.

Hulababy Thu 30-Jan-14 21:44:24

and yes - Kodu, another visual one, freely available.
Logo - pre coding; Daisy the Dinosaur app is based on this

Coding Academy was recommended - though for staff and upper KS2 - on a course I went on today. Didn't get chance to look at it but tutors rated it.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 30-Jan-14 22:52:23

I think we've decided to buy him a raspberry pi for his birthday but in the meantime will look at scratch.

Thanks everyone

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 30-Jan-14 22:53:10

His teacher at school says they've just put something on the espresso site they use.

Hulababy Fri 31-Jan-14 09:38:23

You can run scratch on a pi too smile

I believe Raspberry Pis come with scratch already on them. At least, ours did.

As well as all the good suggestions here already, DS has also discovered a website called Roblocks where you can create your own games.

Hulababy Fri 31-Jan-14 13:08:15

I had to upload everything into mine, came without anything at all on.

GreenerthanGrass Fri 31-Jan-14 14:11:26

Ds (7) started on scratch and is now starting on python and using a pi. He does need quite a lot of help / guidance though. i'm going to try some of the apps too - they sounds great

gordonpym Fri 31-Jan-14 21:47:15

Have a look also at the Khan Academy. I use Khan for math quite a lot, and I'll start the programming soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now