year 5 and NC 2a - will she be okay at secondary?

(9 Posts)
bjkmummy Wed 29-Jan-14 19:48:23

she is dx with dyslexia - starting to worry about the SATS next year and how will she cope heading towards secondary - I also worry as a lot of secondary schools complain primary over egg the NC in primary so she could be further behind than I think. current school don't seem overly concerned about her levels - shes just gone up one sub level so say she is making progress. will she reach the magic NC level 4 and is it the end of the world if she doesn't?

moldingsunbeams Wed 29-Jan-14 19:55:16

I just want to offer you some hope. Dd has a similar diagnoses and in year 5 was a 1a.

She is getting help in year 6 and making slow progress But will probably scrape a level 3.

I have spoke to secondary schools and the one we have applied to has many schemes in place to help dd.

Iamnotminterested Wed 29-Jan-14 19:59:37

OP - is she 2a in everything ?

bjkmummy Wed 29-Jan-14 20:03:18

yes she is - when we had her tested she also had quite a few areas on the 2nd centile - her working memory is 4th centile. I applied for a statement but we have just had a refusal. im appealing but thinking long term if she ends up going up to secondary with no statement in place - will she be okay.

Wafflenose Wed 29-Jan-14 20:15:56

Much depends on her progress over the next 18 months, but if she were to make average or 'expected' progress she would be on course for a 3b or so at the end of Year 6. Although this is still behind, plenty of children do score at this level, and should get support to catch up at secondary, statement or not. What sort of help is she getting for the dyslexia?

bjkmummy Wed 29-Jan-14 20:28:10

shes in a very small school 20 ish kids so 10 in her class so high level of teacher?ta support so lots of small group work, we are paying for an hour 1:1 with a dyslexia teacher. my concern and schools also is that she struggles to retain anything that she has learnt

MillyMollyMama Wed 29-Jan-14 21:10:47

Level 3 makes it difficult to access the secondary curriculum though. You need a school that has support in place to help her or she could struggle quite a lot. What is her IQ out of interest?

bjkmummy Wed 29-Jan-14 21:27:51

her IQ states that she is 21% - hope that makes sense ! does give an actual number - also she is not reached her full potential and is struggling given her IQ and where she should be

moldingsunbeams Thu 30-Jan-14 18:45:28

Sorry my post should say dd should scrape a level 4.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now