World Bookday Costume angst

(84 Posts)
StarWarsStanley Wed 29-Jan-14 15:13:23

It will be upon us before we know it - tell me about your winning costumes so that I can shamelessly copy start considering what to suggest to my DS and is within the realms of my very limited cobble-up-ability.

Ihatecobwebs Wed 05-Mar-14 18:13:13

I was tempted to do DS as the invisible man, but DH didn't think that was quite in the spirit of the day -DS and I would have been happy doing something on our own for the day, while I got DH to walk to school on his own and pretend to hand him over at the door.

So, he's going as a fireman from Fireman Sam.

PatriciaHolm Wed 05-Mar-14 19:03:47

DS hates dressing up, so is going in school shorts, white shirt, waistcoat bought for Victorian day and a cardboard evacuee label that says " Edmund pevensie" (lion witch and wardrobe). After much discussion!!

Hogwash Wed 05-Mar-14 20:04:31

DC3 wants to be a pigeon - marvelous! How in the hell do we do that? (and more to the point, I can't think of a single book with a pigeon of significance in it!).

Mugglewhump Wed 05-Mar-14 20:04:58

Dd is going as Sophie from the Tiger Who Came to Tea.
Handy as her name is Sophie!
Purple pinafore (charity shop womens top, which will be fashioned into a dress) blue long sleeved t-shirt, blue ribbon in hair, tights, school shoes.
Tin of tiger food (made from old paint can)

I am sure no-one will have a clue who she is but hoping the tin of tiger food may point them in the right direction.grin

Vickiyumyum Wed 05-Mar-14 20:19:37

Alice here. Although I cheated and brought a costume from amazon blush

Spink Wed 05-Mar-14 20:23:50

hogwash 'don't let the pigeon drive the bus' is a marvellous pigeon based book.
Here, dd is going as puss in boots & ds will be Mr Magnolia.

thaliablogs Wed 05-Mar-14 21:42:31

dd is being pippi longstocking - we've sewn a patch pocket and some fake patches onto a pinafore dress and she's wearing a long sleeve top underneath, we'll plait her hair over a wire coathanger to get them sticking out, bought 2 pairs of long stripy socks and she'll wear one of each. Even sewed a tail onto a teddy to make him look like a monkey although now he just looks like a mutant teddy....

ds is being tim, from the edward ardizzone books. He's wearing a red jumper and blue shorts, which he already had. NO one will have a clue who he is (he is in reception so I'm guessing everyone else will be a superhero), but he chose Tim and he's happy.

madeindevon2 Thu 06-Mar-14 09:38:03

irrationally annoyed at the whole thing. wouldn't let son Go as Anakin Skywalker but seems 3 or 4 are star wars characters :-((
before school he was happy with his...

Needingthework Thu 06-Mar-14 09:45:44

Ds3 is going as one of the skeleton crew from Funny Bones. A mix of Halloween Skeleton outfit and pirate outfit. He initially wanted to go as Michael Rosen hmm.

DS2 is going as one of many Charlie Buckets, although I may try and persuade him to go as George with some 'medicine' or the dad from Fortunately the Milk. Neither costume needs much work, thankfully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now