What is Y6 like after they've done SATs?

(15 Posts)
Sleepyhead33 Thu 30-Jan-14 22:09:37

Lots of transition. Stuff with the local secondary schools
Sports
Art/Dt projects
PSHE/ICT projects
And the usual subjects of course.

Hulababy Thu 30-Jan-14 17:59:33

DD's school didn't do SATs- independent so don't have to - but they had local entrance exams in January which they worked towards. They were over by early January.

They did, obviously, continue with teaching and learning - but they also had more enrichment activities than before. They had extra language sessions (already did French but has some for Spanish, German, etc), First Aid training, diving lessons, nd lots more, etc.

They also do the end of year show - Y6 have the main roles with rest of juniors in supporting roles - so time was also allocated to that.

juniper9 Thu 30-Jan-14 17:55:56

In my school, the writing assessments aren't due in until July so after SATs week, they focus on writing.

ImASecretTwigletNibbler Thu 30-Jan-14 14:23:50

Thanks, all. We've already had the Y6 residential but good to know the other fun stuff that migjht be happening.

moldingsunbeams Wed 29-Jan-14 14:55:13

Thanks for the sats week dates,
DD broke her wrist on the school playground the day before year 5 sats, she therefore got a scribe and did much better than she would have (dyspraxic and processing issues).
Maybe I should encourage the dare devil in her again that week, or maybe just bandage her arm grin

PastSellByDate Wed 29-Jan-14 14:49:01

Hi IamaSecretTwigletNibbler:

In years past (DD1 in Y6 - so we're still awaiting post SATs celebrations) - the school has a lot of activities which are less pressured but celebrate these last weeks together as good friends:

class play for Y6 July Assembly (lots of writing/ making of sets)

Y6 Leaver's service (Y6 write most of the church service)

Y6 fundraising scheme (each year makes something for fundraising for the school - calendar's, dish clothes, cook books, etc...) - They have to research idea, prepare business plan (all costings for materials, time to make it, etc...) and compete in teams to be the winning design for Y6 fundraising project. Then Y6 heavily involved in making product/ promoting their product/ selling product. (City also has a school wide competition regarding Y6 enterprise competition).

Sports Day (Y6 referee, organise events & run refreshment stand)

School Talent Show (Y6 decide who is included, organise event).

Summer Fayre - Y6 traditionally come up with stall ideas and help run many of the stalls/ set up / clean up. Y6 tally up expenses/ earnings on day & work out profit. Y6 also allowed to chose to spend 10% of profits on a gift to the school - for example purchase of tree/ shrub or bench or sports equipment all children can play with/ enjoy.

'Tiny Teachers' - Y6 pupils do more with KS1 pupils - especially supporting reading/ phonics. They get some training each week from Head of English before working with partners.

Y6 Trip - usually to amusement park like Alton Towers. They love it. Teachers not so sure about roller coasters.

City-wide Y6 CofE Leaver's service (takes 1/2 day).

Y6 competitions - class is divided into groups and each are given puzzles (brain teaser type things with riddles to solve) as a group. First to solve it wins points. Several competitions (often maths/ fact related) - overall winning team gets choice of Y6 field trip destination. Seems to always be Alton Towers - so everybody is happy.

Usually one or two - isn't it a nice day - let's go to the nearby park and play cricket/ football/ have races mornings/ afternoon.

My general view is this is both an opportunity to blow off steam, have some last good times together before heading off to various different senior schools & there does seem to be a lot of writing/ planning/ maths going on - but in very practical ways.

DD1 is doing nothing but review, review, review for SATs just now (I think school is seriously concerned about numbers able to achieve NCL4) but knowing all this amazing stuff is coming keeps her cheerfully working away.

HTH

They don't all do leavers stuff. DS2 is at middle school, they just carried on as normal, with trips and a residential etc. High School in Year 8.

We have great fun but do keep tight rein on the kids or else they become unmanageable.
We do a big project,
Sex and relationship education
Sport tournaments
Transition days
And I also cover some year 7 maths.

But it's so much nicer without the pressure!

OldBeanbagz Wed 29-Jan-14 14:44:07

Last year my DD did...

1 week residential
Leavers assembly
Helping with Nursery/Reception classes
Sex education lesson
Induction day at new school

There were normal lessons too but nothing too taxing.

lljkk Wed 29-Jan-14 14:16:30

12-15 May

Note that regardless of anything else they tell you, they don't have to decide who goes in for the L6 tests until 21 March.

lljkk Wed 29-Jan-14 14:15:04

google you'll find it.
oh yeah, lots of sex ed grin

when are SATs this year (I should know as have a Y6 but don't!!!)

hootloop Wed 29-Jan-14 14:11:34

When I taught year 6, a while ago now after SATS it consisted of a unit of work taught part by me part by the teacher at the Secondary School 98% of the children went on to, visits to the secondary school, a unit of sex and and relationships work and a lot of sport and if course lits of practice for the leavers performance.
I did give up teaching in 2006 though so probably very different now.

lljkk Wed 29-Jan-14 14:09:33

They lark about with
Leavers Assembly
residential for a week, typically
lots of sport if they like it or whatever they do like
induction days
Still have topics & lessons but nothing too taxing

DD said she didn't learn anything new in that 6 weeks but she still loved them. Our school really didn't drill, such a shame that so many do!

ImASecretTwigletNibbler Wed 29-Jan-14 14:07:00

DD is finding Y6 a real bore with all the SATs drilling at the moment. What is school likely to be like after these - do they coast a bit or are they still pushed hard? I guess it depends on the school but wondering if there is a general feeling...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now