Independent Junior schools Surrey

(15 Posts)
neeti1 Tue 28-Jan-14 14:21:44

I desperately need some recommendations on Independent junior schools in Surrey. Please advise

niku Tue 28-Jan-14 14:39:34

Which parts of Surrey specifically are you looking at?

PatriciaHolm Tue 28-Jan-14 14:40:27

where in Surrey? It's quite a big place! boy? girl? co-ed?

seriously, there are dozens in Surrey, you need to give people a bit more of a steer. Have you seen any yet?

PatriciaHolm Tue 28-Jan-14 16:04:58

ah, thought I recognised your name - did all your other threads not come up with something? What about the schools already suggested?

neeti1 Thu 30-Jan-14 00:28:04

Hi, sorry I should have clarified. We live in Ewell/Epsom but are pretty much open to move if need be for the school.
Right PartriciaHom, I had posted another thread but nothing really came up. We did look at Kingswood house but they have a very small class size of only 7 boys in at the moment so we dropped it as we would ideally want to take him out after Easter. Tomorrow we are going to have a look at Priory.

niku Thu 30-Jan-14 09:17:48

I can only speak for the Esher area and highly recommend Shrewsbury Lodge School (lovely and nurturing but only till 7) but is the main feeder to Shrewsbury House. For some parents this does not work so alternative is Milbourne Lodge. It is a predominantly boys school (I put my DD there and she loves it !) but for the more academic/quirky type feeding into KCS, St Paul, Eton etc and goes to 13. neeti1 - it all really depends on which destination schools you are looking it and ofcourse what you think will best suit your DD e.g. academic, sporty etc etc.

PatriciaHolm Thu 30-Jan-14 09:48:32

Did you look at abedour, priory, ewell castle, st Christopher's? How about state - they can often be more nurturing and accepting than privates.

homebythesea Thu 30-Jan-14 12:50:43

Downsend take some beating

neeti1 Fri 31-Jan-14 01:22:33

Milbourne Lodge has a long waiting list so we definitely can't get in there. Had a look at Priory too today but we are not sure yet.
Since I am thinking of In Year admission for my son, we can apply to state schools one month before the term ends and not before that. There seem to be good state schools Wallace fields and St. martins but keeping our location in view I don't think I would get in there, we might get some school though but not our choice.

tiggytape Fri 31-Jan-14 08:24:02

neeti - You can apply in year to state schools at any time you choose. They cannot restrict you to certain months of the year!

And your location won't have any bearing on which state school you get allocated since you are applying outside the normal admissions round.
If you live nextdoor to a school that is full, they cannot give you a place there.
If you live 2 miles away from one with a vacancy (and no waiting list) they must give you that place if you ask for it.
You can also go to the schools direct now since in year admissions no longer have to be coordinated by the council. You can also join waiting lists now too (and would be wasting an opportunity if you don't since some schools have a list all the time and you'll only ever get in by waiting on the list until you reach the top)

LIZS Fri 31-Jan-14 08:27:23

I'm guessing it is to tie in with notice period for current school , otherwise op would still be paying fees while dc start elsewhere, state or private.

niku Fri 31-Jan-14 09:02:59

neeti1 re: Milbourne...if you are willing to wait till the next academic year there may be some movement in Year 3 classes and they open up an extra class in Year 3 (as opposed to just one class per year before that) so there is every chance you can get in. I think you should go and speak to the head (who is very very approachable) especially if you think it is the right school for your DS.

neeti1 Fri 31-Jan-14 17:48:57

Hi thank you all for your thoughts- So I called the Surrey county council and asked for the in-year admission form. Wallace fields has waiting list 65 for current reception. I think they must be kidding with 65 , next preferred have got 10 and 12 respectively- not bad
Regarding Milbourne Lodge I am fairly convinced that it's kind of school which might be great for my little one as he is brilliant with Academics but looks difficult to get through. I am thinking of putting down ds name there in waiting list and try next year, we will attend coffee morning on 7th February. How do we approach the Head The registrar didn't entertain us at all sad and said there is so much waiting that we don't stand a chance.
Does anyone else has any recommendations for other schools- until now tried Kingswood house, Priory, Shrewsbury (tried this when ds was to join nursery)

tiggytape Fri 31-Jan-14 17:59:32

You don't go to the end of waiting lists for state schools so the number currently on the list may not matter that much.

Your position on a state school waiting list is 100% determined by how closely you match the admission criteria for the school. For example if you live nextdoor you will leapfrog over all those living further away but remain lower on the list than those with siblings at the school (assuming it is a school that gives sibling priority as most primaries do). It isn't first come, first served.

neeti1 Sat 01-Feb-14 11:38:58

Ah that way! I have to do something soon. Thank you tiggytape

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now