Rank in class

(95 Posts)
MilestoneMum Mon 27-Jan-14 18:02:17

When I returned from parents' evening last term DH asked me where DD was ranked in the class in terms of ability, as DH's (independent) school would tell parents this.

Would a teacher discuss this? DD is in a state YR and is very capable but at a school which "requires improvement" so I guess we want reassurance she is in the top handful.

NewNameforNewTerm Mon 27-Jan-14 18:42:54

I read that Gove wants assessments to identify what percentile children are compared to national figures rather than rankings within a class.

Wallison Mon 27-Jan-14 18:43:19

In common with many others, I don't see what the point would be in finding out where your child 'is' in relation to the other kids in the class - quite apart from anything else, the cohort will vary from year to year. Surely the most important thing is whether or not she is making progress? I would ask about that.

lalouche Mon 27-Jan-14 18:45:22

I went to school in france where class ranking is (or was) very explicit. It is poisonous IMO. Demotivating for kids at bottom, and kids at top end up chasing high marks for the sake of it rather than having any innate sense of the fun of learning and challenging themselves. Ask if a child is within range of expectation and making good progress by all means, but a class rank is a dangerous and meaningless piece of information, especially in reception.

Kittymalinky Mon 27-Jan-14 18:46:00

Nope, we wouldn't at out school. Not good practice and useless information.

Also I wouldn't know where all my kids ranked in terms of 1-24. I would tell a parent if their child was high, middle or low ability and how we are supporting/pushing them. Ranks ate meaningless really

NewNameforNewTerm Mon 27-Jan-14 18:47:20

It is more of a private school phenomenon. I have heard of cards with children's names on displayed on a rankings chart at the front of the class and a big show being made of swapping children's name cards around after the results of that week's tests as they rose or fell in the rankings.

KingRollo Mon 27-Jan-14 18:51:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsKCastle Mon 27-Jan-14 19:04:52

Class rankings would be pointless and meaningless. On what basis would you rank them? If you look at maths, for example, one child might know all their times tables perfectly, another has a better grasp at written methods, while a 3rd is really confident at problem solving. All 3 children could be at a very similar level, but with different strengths. The same with Literacy- one has excellent reading comprehension, one writes perfectly structured but rather unoriginal sentences, while another has a real flair for language but forgets to put full stops in!

I admit to being curious as to where my DD1 fits in (Y1) but I have no idea and won't ask because there's really no point. (And, of course, because it's none of my business!).

MilestoneMum Mon 27-Jan-14 20:18:56

So is it acceptable to ask what NC level DD is working at?

The school's results aren't the best but I want DD to fulfill her potential.

LondonBus Mon 27-Jan-14 20:22:58

In Reception they don't work at NC levels, but from Y1 on wards you should know what NC level they are working at, so should your child. Your child should also know what they need to do do move to the next level.

LittleMissGreen Mon 27-Jan-14 20:24:13

I've been told NC level working at, but never where they are in class.

stealthsquiggle Mon 27-Jan-14 20:26:50

DC's (independent) school do, on a subject by subject basis, from Y4 onwards, and only in written reports, not at parents' meetings

thenoodlemachine Mon 27-Jan-14 20:30:00

Snort @ "All I know is that MY children are really, really, really, REALLY clever".

mrz Mon 27-Jan-14 20:30:19

Top of (a low achieving) class or bottom of (a high achieving) class ... hmm

Commander6 Mon 27-Jan-14 20:31:48

I asked and found out!
Then I had some odea of where they were. Becuase I knew their capabilities well, I was able to tell if they were underperforming in some subjects. And to find out why!
ie did they not get on with the teacher, was someone getting their attention in class, were they bored, were they struggling etc etc.

Buggedoff Mon 27-Jan-14 20:36:22

She's in YR, so ranking is pointless. When they are still so young their attainment is so linked to whether they are old or young for the year.

This will gradually change over the next few years. So you may find that a slightly above average September born child will be at the top of the class in YR, but will be a middle attainer by KS2. I really wouldn't stress too much at this stage.

Sparklingbrook Mon 27-Jan-14 20:40:42

In YR I would want to know if they are in the top group for dressing themselves and making friends. smile

HanSolo Mon 27-Jan-14 20:47:56

It is meaningless- I was top in every subject throughout my entire secondary education- but it's very easy to be top when I began reading at age 2, and most of my peers had EAL, and had been to dire primary schools to boot. (I had too, but my parents were teachers/lecturers)

HanSolo Mon 27-Jan-14 20:49:13

Also, your DD is in Reception, when most of their 'achievement' is down to how far they have developed.

My DC's school does rank them, from Y4 onward, but it is academically selective.

NearTheWindmill Mon 27-Jan-14 20:54:25

When my DC were at primary everyone knew the rankings anyway. Top table, the articulate child who could read a longish passage at a parents' assembly, the children talked about who was on "grown-up" books and who went out with the lady who helped the ones who needed help. It really wasn't rocket science.

DS tranferred to prep at 8. From 8 his report gave place in class, place in year, mark, and average mark for the year. Personally we found it quite helpful and because DS was competitive it helped him raise his game where necessary. Having said that it was a very competitive and selective prep.

Wallison Mon 27-Jan-14 21:16:24

I don't get how a place in class ranking tells you if your child is underperforming or not. At the risk of sounding wanky, surely the only way to tell if your child is underperforming is if their attainment doesn't square with what the teacher judges they are capable of doing. Am I missing something crucial here?

curlew Mon 27-Jan-14 21:20:05

All you need to be able to do is read upside down at parents's evenings. One of my most useful skills. Second only to my ability to put covers on king sized duvets in an unfeasibly short time.

thenoodlemachine Mon 27-Jan-14 21:31:18

DD's class is sorted by ability into four or five groups for reading and maths and it is pretty obvious who the brighter kids are so easy to tell. The kids are not told where they are by ability (groups have neutral names eg Red, Yellow) but if you asked the teacher she would tell you. Also, the kids know without having to be told.

MilestoneMum Mon 27-Jan-14 22:11:58

DD is September born so I would expect her to be towards the top end of the class and if she is not, I'd be wanting to support her more somehow.

TalkinPeace Mon 27-Jan-14 22:12:06

I know where both my children lie in their secondary cohorts in most subjects.
Its not particularly useful information because I do not know all of the other children and it does not impact on their different attitudes to work.

thenoodlemachine Mon 27-Jan-14 22:14:57

I would want to know where dd is in relation to her class rather than in relation to national averages because it is a v high-achieving school. But I am a control freak.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now