Present for an 8-year old girl

(21 Posts)
CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 06:11:51

My DS has been invited to a friends party. She is a bit of a Tom Boy and I am not sure what to buy her. She also likes a lot of the things other girls like (jewellery, beads etc.)

I am a bit stumped what to buy her. She is a good friend of my son, so want something nice. Budget is up to 15 pounds.

3bunnies Wed 22-Jan-14 06:22:00

My dd loves this lettering book it comes with stationery but you could add some rubbers or nice writing paper.

chimchar Wed 22-Jan-14 06:55:03

My dd loves the Tom Gates series of books. www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=tom+gates&tag=mh0a9-21&index=aps&hvadid=3170776217&ref=pd_sl_ck3rqrk33_e

or how about a science type kit?

or a space hopper? grin

richmal Wed 22-Jan-14 07:39:41

Dd likes K'nex.

ItsATIARA Wed 22-Jan-14 07:46:44

DD adored the Klutz paper fashions books.

Celeriacacaca Wed 22-Jan-14 13:58:57

Just remembering some of DD's fave presents (also tomboy)
A craft set of some sort;
a voucher for Lush;
A diablo;
Science Museum experiment set;
A tin filled with nail varnish and stick ons (Primark, I think);

HTH.

Runoutofideas Wed 22-Jan-14 14:07:11

My 8 yr old dd loves anything from this craft website . She also loves games such as Qwirkle and Suspend (strategic type games) She also loved this doodling book

AnAdventureInCakeAndWine Wed 22-Jan-14 14:08:12

What would you buy if she were a boy?

shebird Wed 22-Jan-14 14:43:24

Rainbow loom
Vouchers for itunes/amazon

Jinty64 Wed 22-Jan-14 21:45:15

Hama beads are great or a badge making set.

Iwillorderthefood Wed 22-Jan-14 21:48:17

One if those secret safe diaries
Rainbow loom
Science kit
Marble run
Lego
Art set
Shabala jewellery

Set of faraway tree books
Set of David William books including gangsta granny, billionaire boy etc
Junior monopoly
Twister

Iwillorderthefood Wed 22-Jan-14 21:49:13

Shambala not Shabala sorry

LoveSewingBee Wed 22-Jan-14 21:50:28

How to train your dragon books

CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 23:08:26

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions.
If I was buying for a boy I would buy them a couple of books e.g. Kensuke's Kingdom or a couple of Percy Jackson books. I don't think she would like them TBH. I think I am going to buy her something craft-like.

Thanks

3bunnies Wed 22-Jan-14 23:37:56

My dd enjoyed Percy Jackson and she isn't even a tom boy. I think it is fairly unisex, but it depends if she enjoys that sort of book.

I love Percy Jackson, so does DD1(much older, but dyslexic and so caught up with everything at the wrong age-twilight then HP)

Craft site link looks interesting, not the usual hobby craft stuff.

CreamSodaFloat Wed 22-Jan-14 23:58:34

I know they are unisex. It is more a case of I don't think she is a big reader.

guccigirly Thu 23-Jan-14 00:08:13

I would get David Walliams books, like previous poster said. They are brilliant and not girly.

ShanghaiDiva Thu 23-Jan-14 08:47:54

My DD is nearly 8 and loves the David Walliams books. The new on is the Demon Dentist.

AlfAlf Thu 23-Jan-14 08:59:35

The David Walliams books are awesome, but I'm not sure I'd get them for someone else's kid, there are (funny) references to Page 3 girls etc.

A lot of the kids (boys and girls) in dd2's class have got into knitting and sewing lately, I've given a few gifts of proper knitting and sewing equipment which have gone down well.
Other ideas are board games like Cadoo,,Pictionary, or maybe even backgammon or chess? 8 is a great age when they suddenly become old enough for loads of different stuff smile

suburbangirl Thu 23-Jan-14 09:21:15

A torch with light changing filters.

A pocket microscope

A 'magic' chemistry set (we have one for wizards - basically kitchen science but bit hit).

Make your own pop up books.

Books are tricky as you never know what they've read already.

go to craft shop and put together a bead set (s-in-law did this for my kids and they loved it).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now