ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

OK, somebody slap me re EYFS

(21 Posts)
CharlesRyder Tue 21-Jan-14 20:49:26

I have just signed out my DS's Learning Journey for the first time.

He is 41months and is still in the 22-36month bracket in 4 areas, one of which is 'Managing Feelings and Behaviour' and not in 40-60+ for anything. I am a bit gutted.

I am being a lunatic, or am I??

TheGreatHunt Tue 21-Jan-14 20:51:32

<slap>

I do wish preschools/nurseries didn't have to tell you this stuff!

CharlesRyder Tue 21-Jan-14 20:56:08

Yeah, me too and I am a teacher!! Thanks for the <slap>

TheGreatHunt Tue 21-Jan-14 20:58:50

grin and sorry!

He is a boy and will be okay.

Yes, there should be a spectrum as to where children should be at certain stages, but any mum can tell you that all children eventually meet targets.

lilyaldrin Tue 21-Jan-14 21:01:52

Well if he is only 41 months, you wouldn't really expect him to be in the 40-60+ category - that's working at a Reception level.

I assume if he is 22-36 months in 4 areas, then in most areas he is in 30-50 months, which is exactly where a 41 month old should be.

I work in early years and we are always told to look at what the child is secure at doing, rather than try to push them up - otherwise it's not a realistic picture of where the child is or the progress they've made. If he was being scored at 40-60 months now, where would he have to go?

elspethmcgillicuddy Tue 21-Jan-14 21:05:32

Another slap!

When Ds left nursery they had him in lower than expected for literacy. They had failed to notice that he could read (and well). I felt a bit flat but just made sure his reception teacher knew when he started school and it has made no difference at all.

MomentForLife Tue 21-Jan-14 21:16:38

I quit working in childcare partly because of the eyfs, and tended to ignore most of my own dd's learning journey. In my opinion, there will be something else thought up by the govt in a few years, they all just keep changing the goal post. Im sure your son is fine.

CharlesRyder Tue 21-Jan-14 21:50:52

Thanks for the slaps grin

Yeah, Elspeth DS is reading confidently at level 2 of the PM scheme that my school uses at home, yes I know it is different . It is mentioned in his Learning Journey that he can read the words 'big' and 'small' independently and use the written labels to categorise objects but still not at 40months for reading.

Oh well.

I would really rather not know!!

Oh god. I had all this, I used to be an eyfs manager which made it worse. DD was behind at everything leaving preschool and the assessment was not fair.

I am determinedly not looking now, because I know she is masses further on and doing really well.

Sorry, the assessment WAS fair!

lilyaldrin Tue 21-Jan-14 22:00:42

The other thing to bear in mind is they are only assessing on what they see in the classroom - the way a child behaves at nursery as one of 25 kids with loads of exciting toys/children/a big garden to play in is going to be different to what they manage at home with 1:1 attention and support.

CharlesRyder Tue 21-Jan-14 22:11:22

TBH I am glad they know in infinitesimal detail where his development is and what his next step are. I need this info on the children I teach so I can focus my work.

I think I wish they didn't have to tell me though. I just want to see DS as my son and a whole, unique, amazing little person. He is only 3.5 and I am proud of him for things he is incredible at like blowing raspberries.

I am not one of those parents of an 'indigo child' glossing over problems and I'm totally happy to accept and work on difficulties. I just want some time for him to be my baby. sad

CharlesRyder Tue 21-Jan-14 22:13:18

Absolutely lily I', 100% aware I squeeze more out of him on his own at home than preschool will see in their environment.

Amy106 Tue 21-Jan-14 22:47:15

No, I am not going to slap anyone but gently encourage you not to worry. It will be just fine.

Runoutofideas Wed 22-Jan-14 08:13:50

Also bear in mind they have to write about what they see the child choosing to do independently, rather than much being "adult led". Therefore if you have a child who spends 3 hours brmming a car around the floor, or elbow deep in the sand and water, they are not necessarily going to notice that he can read. (Not saying there is anything wrong with car brmming and water play btw!)

MomentForLife Wed 22-Jan-14 09:13:29

Runout that is so true. And when you have children whogo to other settings or child minders they will have done different obs and assessments. I find it's all conflicting.

lilyaldrin Wed 22-Jan-14 09:23:00

Why do you think they can only write about child-led activities Runout? I have never heard that before.

suburbangirl Wed 22-Jan-14 10:01:19

there are some things you don't need to know re your child's education, and the EYFS scores for children this young count among them (unless there are serious developmental delays).

Adikia Wed 22-Jan-14 10:19:06

I wouldn't worry, DD's things for playschool were always behind her actual age, it was just because she spent her whole time playing with her friends, so although she could read and write they never saw that. She's in reception now and doing absolutely fine.

hazeyjane Wed 22-Jan-14 14:42:59

I agree with suburbangirl, unless there are concerns about your dcs overall development, then look at the child and not the scores.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now