GHS 7+ exams

(45 Posts)
subzerotemp Tue 21-Jan-14 18:27:15

Is there anyone here who's DD wrote the 7+ tests at Guildford High? Just wondering if anyone had an idea of number of places to applicants this year..

Niku Wed 22-Jan-14 23:52:18

I am also in the same boat as you subzerotemp. I would really like to know number of places and how many typically apply. Did your DD also sit LEH? The waiting is the worst bit. They did say on their website that letters are sent out within a fortnight of the tests...which is on Friday ! This waiting is the worst.

subzerotemp Thu 23-Jan-14 08:47:08

Niku, not sure about GHS - but I've heard around 300 have written the LEH entrance! Same boat again with you on LEH too smile. I asked the registrar at LEH and she said it might take as long as February half term to hear about the results. Waiting is the most painful bit!

Niku Thu 23-Jan-14 09:10:31

I did hear from someone whose DD is at GHS currently that they have 5/6 places this year (but this is hearsay and not solid info from school. I cannot believe the waiting for LEH ....half term is a long time to wait (and is also my DD's 7th birthday that week...arghhhh).

sixlive Thu 23-Jan-14 20:57:47

Up to 11 or 12 places at 7 but often they decide not to fill them all at GHS. Good luck. Rumour 10 applicants to each place.

subzerotemp Fri 24-Jan-14 08:43:02

Wow 10 applicants to each place! That's even more difficult than LEH!! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Niku Fri 24-Jan-14 13:26:22

Arghhh...been 2 weeks since GHS tests and still no results ! I am sure they said they would be in touch within a fortnight of the tests. Anyone else heard yet?

sixlive Fri 24-Jan-14 13:48:50

Results in post today is the rumour

Niku Fri 24-Jan-14 14:51:11

Nothing in todays post hmm

subzerotemp Fri 24-Jan-14 17:26:46

Nothing here too.. Probably first post tomorrow morning? hmm

Niku Fri 24-Jan-14 18:14:36

It is going to be a long night subzerotemp wink

subzerotemp Fri 24-Jan-14 20:20:33

Lol

subzerotemp Sat 25-Jan-14 10:15:03

No news yet! Anyone else heard yet?

Niku Sat 25-Jan-14 10:35:12

No nothing here either confused

sixlive Sat 25-Jan-14 11:51:55

People have heard today so they are in the post.

Niku Sat 25-Jan-14 13:43:23

Our post was late today but we got the good news. Good luck for those who are still waiting !

subzerotemp Sat 25-Jan-14 13:58:26

It's a no for us. Congrats Niku and well done!

Niku Sat 25-Jan-14 14:16:48

Sorry to hear that subzerotemp .....hopefully LEH comes up trumps for your DD !

subzerotemp Mon 27-Jan-14 20:58:22

Thanks Niku! Yes keeping fingers crossed for LEH!
Which one would you choose when you hear back from LEH, just out of curiosity?

niku Mon 27-Jan-14 21:36:10

subzerotemp....that is the million dollar question for me at the moment and both my DH and myself have different opinions on this...I want one and DH another !! I have thought about nothing else the past couple of weeks as there is little difference between the two for us and travelwise not much of an issue either way. LEH informed me that they will be posting out 7+ results by first class post on Thursday this week so we should know by Fri/Sat atleast ! I have a couple of weeks after that to come to a decision. I supposed it is would good dilemma to have but will wait till this weekend!

I declined an offer from another school today so hopefully there is a happy bunny from the waiting list wink.

I will keep you informed but out of interested which would you have gone for?

subzerotemp Tue 28-Jan-14 09:20:38

Niku sadly my first choice was GHS sad. Academically both schools are on the same level. I just liked the feel of GHS. The atmosphere felt more welcoming and relaxed.
You are very lucky indeed to be able to choose between them. Good luck smile

niku Tue 28-Jan-14 09:34:23

subzerotemp.....well I have not heard from LEH yet (and they will not disclose anything on the phone) so not sure as I may not really have a choice but am happy I have a top choice in hand. I am assuming you live nearer Guildford? I also liked the feel of GHS compared to LEH...felt less pressured but yet achieve the same. My daughter also really enjoyed the exam day as they mixed it with lots of fun things (unlike LEH). I tried at 4+ for GHS for my DD and was unsuccessful (and I know exactly why as soon as I walked in......I just was not prepared at all compared to other mums !!). There is still another chance at 11+......

subzerotemp Tue 28-Jan-14 09:51:33

Thanks for your kind words smile. Yes guess can try again for 11+. I need to make up my mind about that though (after this weekend of course, based on LEH). Might PM you to get some advice and tips if you don't mind.

niku Tue 28-Jan-14 10:18:39

subzerotemp..yes please feel free to PM me anytime for advice and tips...will be more than happy to help !

elementary2 Tue 28-Jan-14 12:42:10

Hi Niku,

Congrats to you and your DD smile!

Would you mind explaining in more detail about how you felt unprepared compared to the other mums and how that affected your DDs outcome at the 4+ assessments?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now