Cleves school walton on thames - what infant school?

(8 Posts)
lifesobeautiful Mon 20-Jan-14 20:32:16

My husband and I have found a property we love in Walton, and it's right next to a really good junior school called Cleves. However, it's 0.7 of a mile from the closest infant school, Oatlands Infant - and I don't think we're in the catchment. What happens in this incidence? I'm not from here and was also privately educated - so don't know how it works. Would my DS be offered a place elsewhere - or just have nowhere to go?

Clare7787 Tue 21-Jan-14 14:01:02

Hiya. I'm local and so can help a bit.

Surrey County Council have to find your child an infant place, it might just not be at a school you desire.

The main infant schools that feed into Cleves are Oatlands Infant School, Manby Lodge both of which are in Weybridge and then if on the Walton side of Cleves children come from Burhill Primary (Hersham) and BellFarm. There are also children that transfer from other settings such as Walton Oak and some private schools.

There has been a lot of change in schools locally and I believe both Burhill and BellFarm are becoming primary schools, which means that at this point in time parents from those school can decide whether to let their children stay at their existing schools or apply for Year 3 entry to Cleves. At this stage no infant school is linked to Cleves admissions wise.

At the moment, you apply to Surrey County Council to obtain an infant school and then have to do it again for Year 3 entry.

I would recommend you call Oatlands, Manby and Burhill and they should be able to give you an idea of whether the house you are keen on would have got your child in in recent years. There are a few people Walton/Hersham side of Cleves that have children at Manby. I would also recommend (if you haven't done so already) to try and get a tour of Cleves.

Good luck!

lifesobeautiful Tue 21-Jan-14 15:07:37

Thank you so much Clare! What a kind and thorough response! I shall take your advice. My DS is 3, so I'll also be looking for a nursery school (either day nursery or a few mornings/afternoons. I don't suppose you could recommend one? Toad Hall in Weybridge has an outstanding Ofsted rating - do you know it?

Clare7787 Tue 21-Jan-14 17:22:30

I don't post much, but as this is my area thought I should respond! I am only familiar with Toad Hall in Walton (Felcott Road) one, which a few friends have used and rate. I'm not sure if there is a Toad Hall in Weybridge, but I am a bit out of date as my kids are older. There have been 2 nurseries open up in Weybridge recently I think and so there are quite a few options now locally. People tend to choose one that is easiest to get to traffic wise or location to nearest station for commuters. Some people use a preschool option (Whitely Village, Stagecoach, Oatlands Preschool) and other's use St Georges Junior School Nursery. I would caution against using Ofsted as your main guide and go and have a look!

Clare7787 Tue 21-Jan-14 17:24:59

Forgot to say, Honeypots (one in Walton and one in Weybridge) are another preschool option and often have places.

Clare7787 Tue 21-Jan-14 17:58:51

Schoolswise this link from Surrey Council may help you: http://findaschool.surreycc.gov.uk/default.aspx

ShoeWhore England Tue 21-Jan-14 19:00:23

Surrey admissions are really helpful on the phone OP.

lifesobeautiful Wed 22-Jan-14 22:32:52

Thank you SO much girls - that's so helpful!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now