KS2 level - 45min musical for charity

(11 Posts)
erictheelf Sat 04-Jan-14 21:21:34

Hi all

my 9yr old dd has decided she wants to raise money for the local cancer charity and after doing a mind map!!! of all the ways she can fundraise, she has decided that she wants to start big - with a show!

Any school or stage school teachers out there know of anything that would be appropriate? Don't want it too complicated with too many complicated songs, parts and costumes as i don't want her to feel overwhelmed with it all.

freetrait Sat 04-Jan-14 22:34:50

Ooo exciting! Wonder how old Andrew Lloyd Webber was when he did his first?
Sorry, not very helpful, but good luck to her. My 7 year old frequently puts on shows, but these are for family consumption only and are generally based around whatever story/topic is at the forefront of his mind. The songs are very much improvised and normally involve more dancing than singing.
Perhaps someone will have some more practical advice grin.

toomuchicecream Sat 04-Jan-14 23:37:28

How many friends will she rope in? How many of them will be able to learn/project lines? Happy to sing or dance alone?

DippityDoo Sat 04-Jan-14 23:42:34

Try googling 'LasyBeeScripts'. I have used them before and some are very good. You can search them by all sorts of criteria.

Schmedz Sat 04-Jan-14 23:50:55

What a wonderful child! Try the Starshine website or just do a google search for KS2 musicals.
Might I suggest she tries a KS1 show if she is going to produce it herself? A lot of the commercially available KS2 shows are at least an hour long and generally involve a huge cast (so that as many children as possible in a class get a line!)
There is LOTS of material available and generally you will find that it has been reviewed and there are sample songs/scripts online to give an idea of what the material is like.
Good luck to her (and you if you are assistant producer...)

Marmitelover55 Sun 05-Jan-14 00:13:41

My DD1 and her friends put on a show called "Fartzhen" and it was hilarious. No singing or dancing though delete: but lots of farting grin

Marmitelover55 Sun 05-Jan-14 00:15:12

Oops - haven't tried that crossing out thingy before so obviously don't need to write "delete"...

MrsShrek3 Sun 05-Jan-14 00:26:49

elf - how about she looks into a Britain's got (no) talent style thing? Invite friends to do "spots" each and find some "judges" to add witty banter. The acts could be fairly genuine, with dancers, singers, jugglers or whatever and no responsibility for making up all of that?!

fwiw last year we did a Roald Dahl based play - goldilocks. its based on the revolting rhyme and there are songs and so on - but imho far too much for children to do themselves.

MidniteScribbler Sun 05-Jan-14 08:29:22

If she's raising for charity, why not suggest she actually writes a play based around the issues that the charity is trying to support? I'm sure the charity would give her lots of information to help out.

erictheelf Sun 05-Jan-14 10:57:51

Thanks all - brilliant suggestions - just trying to choose now! she went to bed thinking about it and woke up thinking about! She's going to chat to her friends and i think they are going to write their own play and use some "magic" oriented songs that are easy and known by her friends. I guess my house is going to be busy for the next few months!

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 05-Jan-14 11:20:20

Where is she planning on putting it on? The easiest thing would be for her to get her school on board, that negates the need for involvement with child licensing, chaperones etc which shed need if she uses a local
Village hall or other venue & would be a pain for a child to organise

If she uses someone else's script she will have to pay performing rights however some of the companies mentioned the costs are quite low.

The easiest thing really would be for them to write their own script, pantomime is good because for some obscure reason panto is exempt from having to pay for the rights to use other songs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now