Another reception reading thread!

(33 Posts)
Onelittlebugbear Thu 02-Jan-14 22:15:55

Hi
Ds went into red level just before christmas - is this ok for this point of reception? He's a summer born and not particularly academic but I want him to achieve the best he can. He suddenly seems to be reading more fluently, I've really noticed his reading has come on over christmas.

Where do they expect them to be by the summer?

simpson Fri 03-Jan-14 00:08:39

Dandelion books are really good. I am in a reception class once a week and they use them and a mixture of biff etc (but the newer phonics ones), songbirds (which are truly fab) and WRI.

Iwillorderthefood Tue 07-Jan-14 16:54:33

I am really glad I just found this. DD2 summer born, just struggled through a red book. I can tell her over and over again, and nothing is registering, feel like had epic fail from me today. I am unsure of she is actually learning anything at all.

SapphireMoon Tue 07-Jan-14 18:07:09

My ds still on pink/ level 1, earliest books but really interested in words and rhyme and having stories read to him etc.
Things will click when they click. Making sure they learn to love stories and words the main thing at this stage I would say.

Onelittlebugbear Tue 07-Jan-14 19:12:10

My main stumbling block is that ds hates doing it, especially after a full day at school. It's amazing how much better he read over the holidays. Sat down to get him to read tonight and he just hasn't the focus. He's too tired.
It makes me want to tear my hair out.

SapphireMoon Tue 07-Jan-14 19:17:17

I think when they are tired just reading to them best.
My ds doesn't really show massive interest in school books but loves stories being read to him [Dr Seuss at present] and will pick out the occasional word and letter as I read them. Finds them hysterical.

Red band is perfectly fine smile

ARealPickle Tue 07-Jan-14 22:49:22

I really like Songbirds at home. One "the pegs and the pins" made me laugh! I really like it and the illustrations.

Our school is fairly average I'd guess. This term has been all about the sounds and they haven't even sent proper books home as they want the to have the phonic knowledge first.

Some children will get books this week - the ones that are already fluently blending at an easy level.

The school gets really good results with reading so I really wouldn't worry, despite half of mumsnet saying their children read before they started school!

WillBeatJanuaryBlues Thu 09-Jan-14 10:12:48

we scraped first reading level in reception by end of it....literally with two weeks to go before end of term my DD finally started to read, very slowly and basically...over summer, she shot up in ability she is 6 and so older for her class not younger....then now, she is flying up levels in class and can read most books alone...

it will click do not worry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now