When DO you start to worry about reading?

(32 Posts)
averywoomummy Mon 23-Dec-13 16:56:26

DD is fairly young in the year and struggled in reception with reading. I went in a couple of times to talk to the teacher but was always told "it's fine, just keep reading with her, talking to her about books etc" which I did. However she was still struggling at the end of reception and we found out she clearly wasn't doing fine as she ended up on bottom table at start of year 1.

Again spoke to teacher and got told it's fine, keep reading etc. Anyway now after first term of Year 1 she is still on red level and I am concerned that this is now really quite behind (especially from what mumsnetters children seem to be on!). I know she is still young but at this stage and if a child is on this level should I be worrying? Should the school be doing more? Due to xmas play/parties that last time her teacher heard her read was 20/11 so by the time she is back in jan will mean teacher hasn't heard her for nearly a month and a half which doesn't give me much faith that they are doing much to bring her along at school.

And I do read with her everyday, read to her, go to the library, do phonics workbooks etc but I have started to wonder if the school need to be doing more too? I believe she should be on blue level at the end of year 1 to be "on track" - and am worrying that she might not make this.

Would be interested in any opinions?

Frikadellen Fri 27-Dec-13 15:11:01

No Mrz it doesn't however it would be a good idea to actually ask the parents if they feel there is a problem would you not agree?

When she went to the doctor for the test he actually stated Well Dyspraxia is definitely no a problem here. My point is there can be a LOT of jumping through hoops to get the right boxes checked and it is hugely frustrating both for the parents and for the schools.

mrz Fri 27-Dec-13 15:32:39

The fact that she has a problem with reading and writing can indicate dyspraxia even though gross motor development such as riding a bike isn't an issue. How was she screened for dyspraxia if you weren't consulted?

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Fri 27-Dec-13 15:54:27

Hello OP, I know this is difficult as your child is at school but I found that with my dd if I left her and didn't expect her to read that eventually she did it because it was important to her.
She has gone from reluctant reader to devouring books for pleasure.
Also from average for her age to well beyond her years in conversation/vocabulary too.
It is hard to trust that it will work, but it does.
Perhaps let her read at school when they have to, but leave off her at home. Leave some age appropriate material lying around and she'll soon pick it up and read.
Once her confidence grows they'll probably be no stopping her, especially if you can find a series of books/author she enjoys.

Frikadellen Fri 27-Dec-13 16:12:07

Mrz I don't wish to take over the thread with my dd's issues.

If you check my post what I am saying is that if OP is concerned to make sure she voices this concern. No where am I trying to make it about my child. I gave my experience and it was that the school did not take it seriously enough when I was originally concerned. I wish I had been a bit more vocal about my concern. I believe had the school had the set of teachers it does now my concern would have been heard. (full change since she started only 1 teacher is still there - actually the one she has now in y5 ) my comment that was made as a "ARGH" from me not as a the school is shite and working against me" comment as you seem to be taking it. I actually have a good working relationship with the school my dd is in.

I do not think You can say that what I am saying is bad piece of advice to the OP. If she thinks something is wrong talk and communicate this clearly with the school. & be prepared to jump through a lot of hoops to get some ticks done that neither you nor the school feel are 100% necessary.

I would add don't make flippant comment on this board seems you get taken the wrong way.

Mrz if you are genuinely interested I will be happy to respond to a pm from you to explain what actually has happened. However I don't think it is relevant to Op's case.

mrz Fri 27-Dec-13 16:15:14

Thank you I am interested

sazale Fri 27-Dec-13 19:14:57

I was really worried about ds this time last year. School weren't and I was told that it was me that was anxious. I wasn't being anxious and I had every reason to be concerned! Due to my questioning and insisting on an IEP (he was on sen register but no one had told me) DS had wave 2 intervention last year and is now in year 2. He is still on red band, can't read any word bigger than 3 letters and he hates books and everything about reading/writing!

It doesn't just click for all kids but that doesn't mean it won't for yours OP. My advice is to keep an eye on things. It was the way DS was trying to read in reception that first made me concerned not particularly his lack of progress.

picnicinthewoods Fri 27-Dec-13 19:46:24

the child is in year 1........imo, enough said, Id take a chill pill! Take the pressure off yourself and certainly off your child. Children know when we're worried & it won't help. If school are happy then at this very early stage, I would not worry. It doesn't really matter how many phonics books/reading eggs/book schemes etc you do, if your child is not ready to read then s/he is not ready. End of story! Best thing you can possibly do is read your child wonderful examples of children's literature. Inspire her to love books and the idea of reading and in time she will.
Take your cues from school about when to worry. Many children make a big leap in terms of reading in the year they are 7 -8 years old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now