How much TV in Year 1?

(30 Posts)
Wigeon Thu 05-Dec-13 22:00:16

How much TV does your a Year 1 DC watch? I have been slightly surprised that DD watched some of Lion King last week, some of Shaun the Sheep (more than one episode in one sitting) this week and two Numberjacks in the last week or so (arguably educational, but they do seem to be about very basic maths concepts, when DD is now happily counting in 2s, 5s, 10s and doing basic addition and subtraction in her head). She's also mentioned she's watched Finding Nemo at some point (last few weeks). And there may be others she hasn't mentioned as she doesn't tell us everything that happens each day.

I get that Y1 might be pretty tired, coming up to the end of term, but I'm still slightly surprised that the TV seems to be wheeled out to deal with this. But then again she is my PFB and first experience of primary schools, so I don't know what's normal / ok.

Any experiences?

Wigeon Wed 18-Dec-13 20:25:13

Yesterday they watched the film Anastasia, but apparently didn't have time to finish it...This is getting silly...

MrsBennetsEldest Wed 18-Dec-13 20:31:27

It's Christmas.

Wigeon Wed 18-Dec-13 20:38:22

Sure, no problem with one film as a lovely end-of-term treat, but in the last few weeks, it's been Lion King, Sean the Sheep, Finding Nemo, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Thumberlina, Pocahontas, Anastasia...Today's film was on the same day that they had a pantomime come to do a performance at school, so they'd already had one nice long Christmassy treat during the school day...

Dreamingofcakeallnight Thu 19-Dec-13 18:12:53

Am I the only one that thinks watching TV doesn't really have a place in a school?! It's pretty lazy teaching, there are tons of better things children should spend their time doing. Widgeon, if I were you, I'd have a word with the teacher. It's not on.

Wigeon Thu 19-Dec-13 21:17:25

Yes, that's my feeling, but started this thread to find put what's normal. The teacher is an NQT, but pretty open plan school, so it's pretty clear what each class is doing. And am a bit concerned that on one occasion, the Deputy was there when they were watching a film, so she may well have the support of senior managers. But will definitely say something in the new year. Doesn't seem like a nice note to end this term on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now