Northwood Prep or St Martins

(16 Posts)
SK22 Fri 22-Nov-13 21:33:19

Our DS had the 3+ assessments for Northwood prep and St Martins and has been offered a place at both schools. We are really struggling to decide which one to go for, any recommendations?

jmf294 Sat 23-Nov-13 22:32:36

My son is at Northwood Prep and has been there for 4 years.
We are delighted with it and he's so happy, working hard, achieving, lovely friends, great facilities.
I like the atmosphere and staff.
I'd go for NP personally.

SK22 Sun 24-Nov-13 22:35:14

Thanks jmf294

Loveulots Mon 25-Nov-13 10:04:37

They both are very good schools.My son has just started in St Martins.. it has been brilliant.its very difficult to decide between the two, we personally chose St Martins as the class sizes are small compared to Northwood prep and their wrap around care is excellent. Good luck with what ever you choose.

OhFourFiftyNineThirtyFive Mon 25-Nov-13 10:07:42

DH went to St Martins many years ago (not that helps you - it was just funny to see it mentioned).

We have friends with boys there who are very happy.

Mowgli2011 Mon 25-Nov-13 12:38:41

Hi SK22....our DS has also been offered a place at both of these schools....we have no idea which one to go for!!

My gut instinct after the open mornings was NP....but favour the facilities (swimming pool for example) at St Martins, also prefer the idea of the kindergarten being at the same site as the main school.

Have you got any further in making a decision??

SK22 Mon 25-Nov-13 13:20:06

Thanks mowgli2011 we have the same preferences listed above but also like the swimming pool etc at St Martins. No where nearer and only a few days left to decide!

Mowgli2011 Mon 25-Nov-13 14:09:32

Yes i know - need to decide quickly!

how did you feel about the two assessment days? I thought Northwood Prep was a lot more relaxed and my DS felt more comfortable and seemed himself. But i guess you can't read too much into any of that...

SK22 Mon 25-Nov-13 14:32:42

Mowgli2011 I have PM you

mumof2funones Mon 25-Nov-13 17:04:32

Ladies - I am in a similar place but my son also has a place at st johns.. I am totally torn!
my son was happy (generally a happy kid!) at all three, I preferred the assessment at NP as I didn't have to be in the room! I didn't enjoy stmartins as they kept bringing in boys every 15 mins and then bought in a group of existing nursery boys into the room overwhelming for me at least. St Johns they interviewed me as well.

My son is happy at all.. argh
swimming pool is a bonus at st martins and isi report is brilliant, but sports facilities at stjohns amazing, clearly academically strong, but new head - albeit not new to the school. np seems to be an all round balanced school.. I am totally utterly confused.. any helpful comments outthere?

stikmatix Mon 25-Nov-13 20:30:56

No direct experience as our son is at a prep school in Pinner, but I know people with boys in all three if the schools and all seem happy with their own choice.
They are all good schools, I'm not sure there is a 'wrong' choice as a lot if it will be the luck of the drawer of what kids are in the year group.

Make the pick o which school best matches what you would like for your child, and is closest to you own family ethos.

On a practical note consider which is the easiest journey as Northwood is vile during pick up and drop off times. If you need before and/or after school care, which school best offers what you need? St John's makes boys wear shorts until 9 or so which you may love or hate (too archaic for my liking!), and Northwood Prep is not automatic to pass from Nursery to Reception, so beware.....

Good luck!

Mumofad Mon 27-Jan-14 23:13:30

Hi Sk22, mumof2funones,mowgli2011 i am in same boat for 4plus as you were, can i ask which school did you select and why...so confused now..sad

Mumsy68 Wed 23-Apr-14 21:24:16

Just for info St. Johns and St Martins were listed in London's Top Ten Academic Prep Schools.

RPR4568 Thu 24-Apr-14 08:38:03
RPR4568 Thu 24-Apr-14 08:39:35
northlondoncat Fri 02-May-14 22:08:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now