How many summer-born 4 yrappear olds can write their name unsupervised?

(80 Posts)

I'm noticing many references in threads to Reception children age 4 even the summer-borns being able to write their first name, although it doesn't specify whether that's unsupervised.

Is this normal?

My June born Reception starter can recognise his first initial but he certainly can't write his whole name supervised or not.

Of course, it will be impossible to hear honest replies I suppose. Still, I'm curious.

RobinSparkles Sat 23-Nov-13 16:39:28

DD1 could write her name unsupervised at 3.11 (so very nearly 4). She was born in June so was 4.3 by the time she started reception.

She's now 6 and her writing is fine as far as 6 year olds go. She doesn't hold a pen "properly", she never has - she's always held it with her whole hand iykwim, I haven't really pushed her to do it "correctly" as I thought it was more important for her to be comfortable. Her presentation could be improved.

In fact, my two year old holds a pen much better than my 6 year old ie. correctly but she can't write her name! grin

ihearttc Sat 23-Nov-13 21:14:23

DS1 who actually has a feb birthday couldn't write his name before starting school and at the end of Reception wasn't that great either.

However he is now in Y4 and has really neat and small handwriting.

Iwillorderthefood Sat 23-Nov-13 21:21:09

DD2 is July born and can recognise the first letter of her name. She absolutely cannot write her name though. She has no interest in doing it either.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sat 23-Nov-13 21:24:02

dd1 was 4.6 (March-born) when she started reception
she could just write her name when she started, in massive, wobbly letters about three inches high. plenty of the kids in her class hadn't got that far.

bundaberg Sat 23-Nov-13 21:24:12

my june baby can write his name. But his name is Asa, so it isn't exactly hard. and he has an obsession with letters and writing...

he's the only one of my children to be able to write his own name on starting school. His siblings were both older than him when they started too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now