How much do you 'push' your Reception child at home?

(60 Posts)
BoysRule Wed 20-Nov-13 20:30:28

My DS1 has just started in YR and was 4 a week before term started. I am a primary school teacher.

He is doing well at school and the teachers are happy. It is a very academic school and IMO they are teaching phonics at a very fast pace (a new sound every day). He is not keeping up with this at all and knows around 6 sounds - he can only write a couple of them.

I know if I was teaching him my advice to the parents would be to let him go at his own pace - there is no SEN and he is bright, articulate, confident and loves learning.

At the moment I do very little with him at home - he doesn't enjoy it and I can see that he is tired, not concentrating etc and I don't want to push him when, as a teacher, I can see he is not ready.

However, there is still a part of me that feels bad for not doing more with him at home. Even though this would be forcing him, I almost feel guilty for not helping the teachers by trying to teach him the sounds to 'keep up'.

How much do you 'push' your child at home? How much work do you do with them?

juniper9 Thu 21-Nov-13 12:43:49

Why don't you ask one of the reception teachers in your school? I frequently get asked by colleagues about what's expected in my year group so they know where their children are at. Their kids aren't in the school so it's not a parents' evening type situation.

BoysRule Thu 21-Nov-13 13:10:47

Really interesting and useful replies - thanks everyone. He is at a state primary. I have only taught in very deprived areas where children come into Reception with very low literacy levels, but it sounds like it is normal to teach a sound a day.

Since birth I have done all of the fun and play based 'teaching' which he absorbs really well. Of his own accord he is always pointing out letters he knows in signs and is extremely inquisitive about the world.

I just don't do any formal, sit down teaching as I know he is not ready. Apart from 5 minutes reading his ORT book every night (I read - he points to the words) and his weekly homework (which is play based) we don't do any actual sitting down and writing or reading. I do all of the other wonderful things that parents do to help with literacy and numeracy and have always done.

I feel reassured that I don't need to do anymore.

Our school has morning family reading sessions twice a week at 9am for ten minutes, so I sit with mine in the library. Eldest reads, Reception youngest looks at pictures and counts the page numbers.

At home, he listens as I read his chosen book most evenings.

Reception is mostly learning through play, so I keep reading, so I'm certainly not pushing him academically at (summer born) 4 years old.
Fortunately his bossy older sister a couple of years above him likes to play teacher at home and sits and reads to him too !

PaperMover Thu 21-Nov-13 13:42:04

We don't do anything that she would think of as "work", we play with magnetic words, look at words that have been written down, we make up rhymes and she has just started to write stories for me. I tend to leave books, pencils etc around so she can do whatever she wants. Sometimes she plays with her bear and sometimes she does making.

I have bought some reading books and will read those with her as I don't like the school reading books. My aim is to do that daily for 5 mins or so but at the moment we are doing a word every now and again. If we don't do reading every day that wont be the end of the world.

I think they have a long day and they should chill out and have fun at home.

Thank goodness our "homework" is sensible, so reading to your child and finding things in the home that begin with the sounds they have learnt. I probably wouldn't do it if it was a chore.

Plymwife2011 Sat 23-Nov-13 22:10:45

I am a reception teacher and my advice to all parents is not to push anything and make it like a chore. I say I would rather they read a well loved story at this point in the year and instilled that love of reading, than read Kipper & Chip and make the child frustrated! I am also horrified to hear that thegreylady's child has spellings!! This is totally against the ethos of EYFS and this comes from someone working in a fairly formal EYFS setting!

freetrait Sat 23-Nov-13 23:26:15

No, we don't do anything at home really.

Well, DD has a reading book that we listen to twice a week, but it is very easy for her, so that takes less than 5 minutes. It's always one she's read at school already, then we hear it at home, then it gets changed. Normally pleasant, short activity. They have just started getting "home learning" as well, but this is also a fun activity and DD was so excited that she had some like her older brother (Y2).

Tbh I am more concerned that my 7 year old is very slow on his number bonds, so we are going to practice those!! I told him he has to get as quick as me (only the easy ones..).

YellowDahlias Sun 24-Nov-13 16:48:22

Not very much. We practice with the reading books that get sent home a couple of times a week - maybe 4-5 days out of 7. But that's no more than 5-10 minutes at a time.

She'll play with the Reading Eggs programme on the computer when she asks for it. We never suggest.

She's got free access to markers, pencils, paper, etc so will draw or practice her writing when she's in the mood.

We read to her every night at bedtime.

columngollum Sun 24-Nov-13 17:38:58

I suppose it depends on what you call work. My children were all reading fluently in kindergarten. We don't do any worksheets or repetitive exercises but we do talk about things quite a lot. So, apart from reading, which I don't consider to be work, we either do lots or none, depending on your definition.

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 24-Nov-13 17:50:35

My dd is summer born, but knew all her letter sounds and could read some cvc and high frequency words before starting Reception.

I practise her high frequency words with her and read everyday. On the weekend we do that plus whatever homework the school has set. Generally maths based, practising numbers, writing numbers, hours on the clock, measuring. If she wants to do more I do it with her, but she learns through daily activities too like shopping.

I agree that if your child is too tired pushing him may be counter productive at this stage. He will get there at his own pace.

posheroo Tue 26-Nov-13 11:59:06

How much you push depends on the child not the teacher

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now