With the big freeze coming, how do you keep boys' legs warm on the school run?

(58 Posts)
werenotreallyhere Mon 18-Nov-13 11:44:32

Do people tend to put thermals under the trousers, put on a big old snow suit, or something else? Just trying to get organised before everything sells out! Thanks in advance

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Mon 18-Nov-13 17:18:04

Our school insist on shorts for boys and skirts for girls; no trousers at all. I think it's astonishing in 2013 shock

UniS Mon 18-Nov-13 21:44:53

waterproof trews if its wet, if its not wet he seems to keep warm enough , just as I do by brisk walking.
He is still wearing shorts, but with long socks, he likes his long socks.

Bunnyjo Mon 18-Nov-13 21:54:40

DD wears a long sleeve thermal vest and thermal long johns leggings under her uniform when it gets really cold. We live way 'oop north' and her school like to make the most of the vast outdoors they have (rural school) even in the middle of winter, so she really does need to wear warm clothes. I prefer to wrap her in layers, as she can remove some if she gets too warm.

darksparrow Mon 18-Nov-13 22:02:57

Sainsburys normally do long johns for boys - I normally pick up a couple of pairs. We live in Scotland so mine wear salopettes and snow boots to school when we get snow and have their school trousers underneath and school shoes in their locker and get changed when they get to school. H&M and Costco good for cheap salopettes - handy to have for sledging!

cakesaregood Mon 18-Nov-13 22:22:09

We're in the 'still in shorts' category too! In fact we have 2 pairs of trousers hanging up in case we have a week of snow like last year. Someone will get some good quality hand me downs next year :-)

We've outgrown the preschool waterproof dungarees though. Can we really justify the carbon footprint for possibly one week??

UniS - I like long socks too, but DSs gave up on those as too much hard work!

starfishmummy Mon 18-Nov-13 22:26:02

Couple of boys near us wear shorts year round (private school uniform). I even saw them playing out in the snlw in them. Actually it seemed sensible as legs dry mkre easily than trousers!!

ShoeWhore Mon 18-Nov-13 22:29:54

Waterproof trousers for deep snow but otherwise just school trousers.

It's really very warm in most schools so I think they would overheat in long johns (and die of embarrassment grin )

Dc3 came out of school tonight and promptly stripped down to just polo shirt so I'm not too worried...

capercaillie Mon 18-Nov-13 22:34:49

Shorts still here - and for as long as he wants. He won't get cold. He would get massively too hot if he wore anything underneath school trousers - schools tend to be well heated.

itscockyfoxagain Tue 19-Nov-13 07:31:58

Both of mine have snow boots and salopettes for over the top and take off when we get to school only when it is is properly cold though.

LittleMissGreen Tue 19-Nov-13 08:43:17

Do those in shorts live in the balmy south? Or do they wear them even in the snow? (Genuinely curious as the snow here gets so deep that the only way the kids can get to school is to crawl over the top of it as it can get to their head height)

One of my boys wear shorts, the older one gets to wear trousers now. The one in shorts has it much easier. I just make sure he has spare socks (they're long). To be fair they do t walk to school but they do spend more time outside at school than the average.

OhYouBadBadKaleds Tue 19-Nov-13 09:04:05

LMG - do they not clear the paths then? That sounds like a very exhausting way to go to school.

LittleMissGreen Tue 19-Nov-13 09:17:34

They clear the roads but there is too much snow to clear paths as well - last winter (which was particularly bad to be fair) there was 4 feet where not drifted and up to 10feet in the drifts. There just isn't anywhere to put that much snow. There isn't room for cars to pass pedestrians easily on the cleared roads so have to lift the kids up onto the top of the snow piles when the cars come by - which in rush hour is regularly.

OhYouBadBadKaleds Tue 19-Nov-13 09:19:31

That is rather a lot of snow!

Preciousbane Tue 19-Nov-13 09:22:15

My DS just doesn't feel the cold and insists on wearing shorts in the winter. He played footie in the garden at the weekend and got so hot he stripped off topless much to the amusement of his friend, that was a bit much for me.

SerialStudent Tue 19-Nov-13 09:45:39

My son wears school shorts all year thru - we travel by car mostly unless it is snowing then we have to walk or part walk/part bus.

If walking in snow then salopettes are the order of the day. Salopettes stay in school for snow playtimes too.

Otherwise if just cold then a base later under school uniform - white top and grey base layer cycling shorts. The cycling shorts idea is new to me - recommended by a school mum friend - and just makes do much sense. Until now we've managed with just base layer top tho.

werenotreallyhere Tue 19-Nov-13 13:45:39

Thanks all again, and thanks to the person who recommended the H&M salopettes, they look perfect for snowy days

Artandco Tue 19-Nov-13 13:54:00

Tights under trousers. It's freezing out ( IMO)

Toddlers have been out in tights and jeans/ joggers over the top and warm boots, and I have been wearing tights under jeans. Everyone also has vests/ thermal tops/ ski socks etc most of the time.... I hate being cold and so do they.

noblegiraffe Tue 19-Nov-13 14:51:27

Hah, I didn't know what salopettes were so just googled. They are not the things like tennis rackets that you strap to your feet in snow. I did think that would be excessive for the school run! grin

BlastOff Tue 19-Nov-13 19:09:53

Ds1 has lined trousers from m&s. He is a skinny little thing though, and really feels the cold. We do have long johns/ thermals from last year, but but worried he'll get teased if he wears them this year now he's at school.

UniS Tue 19-Nov-13 20:11:09

Last time we had lying snow during school term... I think DS may have been wearing long trousers under his waterproofs. Our lane doesn't get gritted or cleared , so we can sledge about half of the way to school, then have to walk up hill for last bit.
He does wear winter boots when its icey. I'll put up a pic on my profile of his going to school rig from january this year. I think pic was taken on the way home as there are other kids sledging too.

UniS Tue 19-Nov-13 20:23:42

first snow of the winter here today. kids enjoyed morning break in snow, ds in shorts and long socks.

RussianBlu Tue 19-Nov-13 22:08:57

Parents who put their young (nursery/reception) age children in tights and leggings or long johns then trousers on top and a vest and a couple of t shirts and a jumper and possibly a belt/tight button make me laugh. Do you really think they can manage to get to the toilet in time? No. They cant. Stop getting cross when they have accidents.

busylizzie76 Tue 19-Nov-13 22:10:59

At my son's school they aren't allowed to wear trousers until year 5.....shorts all winter brrrrrr!

RussianBlu Tue 19-Nov-13 22:12:06

What???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now