Humiliation by teacher

(20 Posts)
merylfan13 Sun 17-Nov-13 07:22:42

Our dd is in year 1 and is 6. She is a well behaved child, has been "Star of the Week" before and although I certainly know she is no saint, she is being brought up to be respectful and polite. It was 3 weeks ago that she was suffering with a persistent cough but was in school as loves school in the main and doesn't like to be absent if at all possible. Anyway, it was assembly one morning and she started to cough quite early on....however, she tells us that the male teacher who usually takes the assemblies (ex Head, who left his post there due to stress) was furious and chastised her to the point of tears.

She told us asap that day and was most upset at being picked out in front of the whole school and told to sit elsewhere. I was furious and decided to consult with the
teacher concerned. I was as prepared as I could be bearing in mind his reputation as an aggressive, bad tempered and volatile individual. I was shocked with his attitude towards me especially as I wasn't rude to him at all, not my style. He didn't let me say a word hardly and was totally aggressive, angry and defensive. She had a cough and he clearly labelled her a demon child! I decided to not pursue it but monitor situation....however I've picked up info yesterday that he was very humiliating to my daughter and I now feel I SHOULD consult with the Head! She is very approachable and professional. Is it too late now though, really and should I just let this one go?!

bluebell234 Sun 17-Nov-13 07:29:46

pursue it, so he will understand you are not an easy target.

shushpenfold Sun 17-Nov-13 07:32:12

Definitely not too late - I would be taking it up with the Head. Unacceptable.

BlackberrySeason Sun 17-Nov-13 07:32:20

What did he think she should have done differently? Just not cough? Sounds very mean!

Do you think Head could say maybe she was too ill to be in school if her cough was really bad? Just to try to anticipate what school may say - I know sometimes they just have a tickly cough but are fine to go in.

bluebell234 Sun 17-Nov-13 07:37:07

if they think she is too ill to stay in school they should call parents to take her, not humiliate in front of all school.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 17-Nov-13 07:50:09

So this teacher actually told you your child was a "demon child"?

Could we have some more actual details please?

Are you 100% totally, hand-on-heart sure your daughter was humiliated and moved because of her cough? Might she have been chatting as well as coughing? Why did he say he had moved her? Was she perhaps moved to be nearer the exit so she could go and get some water?

if this teacher really moved and humiliated your daughter because she was coughing, then of course you should take it further. Ditto if he was abusive to you....or called your daughter a demon child to you.

T'is a big word, if.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 17-Nov-13 07:51:23

(I am guessing from your OP that he told you she was moved, not because of her cough, but because of her behaviour?)

newbiefrugalgal Sun 17-Nov-13 07:52:26

Yes let it go. Just go to the head next time something like this happens.
Also explain to your DC she did nothing wrong

scratchandsniff Sun 17-Nov-13 07:53:30

Definitely speak to the head. She's 6 for goodness sakes, he should know better. Sounds likes he's stressed and taking it out on the children. Nobody can help a cough.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 17-Nov-13 09:38:18

The fact that she is 6 means I would be making extremely sure I had heard both sides of the story before I went in complaining about humiliation and being called demon child......

My own told a tale this week of a teaching saying another teacher (with me so far!) was a "cruel witch". Transpires she said she was "strict".

pollypocket31 Sun 17-Nov-13 10:04:15

Dare I say the children could possibly be playing the game of who can cough the loudest and most frequently? A favourite game in my school, seems to entertain them so much....? Just checking....however it does seem that he reacted rather OTT. If he was genuinely telling her off for having a cough, then I would be appalled.

Would be interesting to hear what his defence was?

Xochiquetzal Sun 17-Nov-13 21:42:35

ex Head, who left his post there due to stress - So the teacher who was humiliating your daughter has left the school and won't have any more contact with her? If that's the case I'm not sure the new head can do anything or even that anything needs doing as him not working there is a pretty good sign he won't be upsetting your daughter anymore.

If he's still at the school and you are sure your daughter is telling the truth then yes, I would make sure the head knows and that she does something about it because he sounds horrible.

DrankSangriaInThePark Mon 18-Nov-13 06:14:24

I think the "humiliating" teacher is doing the assembly because at the moment the school doesn't have a head?

DrankSangriaInThePark Mon 18-Nov-13 06:15:08

Oh, no sorry, read it wrong! You are right, he is the ex-head!

clam Mon 18-Nov-13 08:59:35

How did you get all this information? How reliable is your source (not for the actual conversation you had)?

BlackberrySeason Wed 20-Nov-13 06:19:11

What happened in the end,op?

intitgrand Wed 20-Nov-13 08:12:43

I am not clear what actually happened.Are you sure he didn't just tell her to sit at the back where her coughing wouldn't mean others couldn't hear what he was saying.

Galena Wed 20-Nov-13 11:14:32

I assumed he was a head at a different school, and left his post there due to stress and joined OP's school as a class teacher.

But yes, she could well have been being silly - a child at DD's class assembly today started off with a cough, but then started doing exaggerated 'fake' coughs, wanting attention. Very common with children.

posheroo Wed 20-Nov-13 12:24:43

I believe the original account it sounds as though the new head is under stress and needs to be given some manners

posheroo Wed 20-Nov-13 12:25:43

He would have been daft enough to cane her in my day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now