The joy of Christmas (plays)

(63 Posts)
ParkerTheThief Thu 14-Nov-13 17:57:33

Ahhh, that happy moment. Casting the Christmas play.

I have obviously allowed the rush of power go to my head grin

So far I have been accused of

Choosing a play that a pupil didn't want to do on purpose aren't I lucky to be able to read minds.

Allowing a pupil to audition for a part but not giving it to her (epic fail on the understanding of audition)

Saying that if a pupil refused to sing a solo during the audition process that it was fine, but obviously as the part required him to sing a solo he wouldn't be able to do it and would need to take on a different role.

As I'm typing I've just realised the son of a member of the Gov Body has been given a good part! The ultimate teacher sin

Good job I love doing the whole Christmas thing

Periwinkle007 Sun 17-Nov-13 19:20:32

Mrz - you could do a name change and post them all there....

melmo26 Sun 17-Nov-13 20:17:38

One year dd1 & 2 were in nursery play together, dd2 was an angel( which dd1 was the previous year) and dd1 was a camel. She hated being a camel. ( no matter how much dh and I said how cool camels are) She stood behind two other kids the whole time not joining in on any of the songs. Dd2 got about 1 minute into the play, burst out crying and refused to go back on stage smile

There is no way we would have went to her teacher and said dd1 will not be a camel. It's the part she was given,end of.

We recently moved so will see how dds do this year. I didn't even know that some schools made parents make a costume. All we've needed the past 2 years is a white t-shirt and tights. I can't sew sad

MiaowTheCat Mon 18-Nov-13 12:27:45

Once worked at a private school where the parents ruled the roost to ridiculous levels. One woman refused for an entire remaining academic year to speak to any staff in the school as her son had been in the second row of angels and not right at the front (child was one of the tallest in the class).

All costumes had to be made by the staff - and we weren't allowed to go to the factory outlet to buy the fabric for it - it HAD to come from John Lewis (and I was the only staff member who could work a sewing machine... so muggins did them all). Couldn't even re-use costumes from previous years with alterations - so all the fucking shepherds had to be re-made from scratch.

I got wrong another year for suggesting we picked the play based on which songs you were LEAST likely to catch yourself singing on the way around Tescos!

Oh and the year I had to ban one over enthusiastic shepherd from bringing his dad's cattle prod in to use for his costume... although that would have proved handy to wrangle the bunch of shepherds who were not the most "with it" members of the class!

But spare a thought for parent and child who are privately and certainly-never-going-to-share-with-the-teacher very disappointed because the promised speaking part never materialised. Because she now knows she's 'not good enough'. Self esteem can be very fragile.

Galena Sat 23-Nov-13 10:19:33

Depends on whether the speaking part was actually 'promised' or whether they were invited to audition and the best children for the role were chosen.

Teachers cannot get it right - either choose children with loud, clear voices so everyone can hear, and be accused of favouritism, or choose children whose self esteem needs boosting and have everyone (except the child's parents) complain that they couldn't hear a word.

Acinonyx Sat 23-Nov-13 13:21:43

This year - every child has at least 2 lines. Seems reasonable.

I have heard grumbles about some pupils always getting the main parts. I wonder how they even know this - I couldn't remember who any of the main parts were from previous years if my life depended on it. Happily dd doesn't care and neither do I.

The costume saga OTOH hmm OMG................hmm

itsnothingoriginal Sat 23-Nov-13 17:14:11

It was a rough week for DS last week as he auditioned for a part he really wanted despite being really scared (hes very shy). He was was told afterwards by his class teacher he sang beautifully she was hopeful of the part for him...and then he didn't get a singing or speaking part at all sad

A rude awakening for him I think..

Maybe it's because DH is a governor (had no idea giving leading parts to governors kids was a sin!)

SatinSandals Sat 23-Nov-13 17:28:38

I'm not sure why schools bother putting on plays these days, it causes so much angst with people sure that they get parts if the parent is on the PTA or don't get one if they are a governor. ( A novel suggestion but maybe they just audition and take the best for the part!)
I am convinced that parents would be happier if every child had a costume, stood in a line and all had an equal lines of dialogue!

mrz Sat 23-Nov-13 17:31:15

Our EYFS leader has decided they are not performing a nativity or songs this year and parents are up in arms about it

insanityscratching Sat 23-Nov-13 17:33:23

Dd is Mary with a solo. I think her teachers must have nerves of steel seeing as Joseph (like dd) has a statement of SEN and I wouldn't have thought they were the easiest of options to cast. Dd will need handling with kid gloves for a start hmm.

AbbyR1973 Sat 23-Nov-13 17:34:26

At DS's school, the asked them what they wanted to be and have first preference to year 2's for whom it will be their last nativity. I suppose it's easier because there is only 15 per year group. I think they found not all DC's wanted starring roles. According to DS all the boys wanted to be soldiers!
DS1 is delighted because he is going to be King Herod! He seems to be attacking the role with sinister enthusiasm!

itsnothingoriginal Sat 23-Nov-13 17:55:31

SatinSandals - my point about DH being a governor was tongue in cheek grin I have absolutely no pretensions about this being the reason for DS not getting his part.

My point was really about managing the disappointment - especially when it's such a big deal for some kids to put themselves through an audition.

insanityscratching I think it's great your DD has a major part -DS has SEN too and I think the school didn't want to take the risk..

SatinSandals Sat 23-Nov-13 17:58:43

I thought it was, but there is no doubt that some parents think there are outside reasons and not just the ability of the child!
Managing disappointment is a very useful skill to have and the resilient child will go far in life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now