National Reading Average - is it very low?

(128 Posts)
Crouchendmumoftwo Mon 11-Nov-13 10:43:26

My son is in the top reading group in his year one class - he is on level 6 blue book band. I looked this up and it says its is a level for year 2. I'm not sure if this is the case. To be honest he is aged 6 and he isn't a free reader and his reading is quite slow and laboured. We think it should be a lot better for his age and he should be reading more confidently . We are thinking the national average must be very low, the school must have very low expectations or not be pushing the kids much. He is at a good state school but I guess the question I'm asking if the state school national average is very low as well as their expectations.

We get him to read with us just once a week and wonder if we should be doing more - pushing him harder. I know there is no rush. We have parents evening this week so I can find out more.

maizieD Sun 17-Nov-13 00:03:06

Montessori taught 'phonics'; very easy with Italian children as their alphabetic code is far more transparent than the English one. If you read her account of 'her' children learning to read it seems that they started with writing rather than reading.

As far as I am aware, modern Montessori schools still teach phonics.

mrz Sun 17-Nov-13 07:30:21

Yes MaizieD Montessori schools do teach phonics
A quote from the Montessori Society
"The recent claims that ‘synthetic phonics’ hold the key to transforming literacy levels in the UK is far from news to those familiar with the approach to language found in a Montessori Children’s House."

maizieD Sun 17-Nov-13 13:38:30

Yes MaizieD Montessori schools do teach phonics

I was pretty sure that they did but didn't want to make a sweeping assertion only to be shot down in flamesgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now