3+ 4+ 5+ 7+ support thread 2014

(648 Posts)
mumteacher Fri 08-Nov-13 18:47:30

I started the below thread last year and have had so many people find it useful I thought it might be worth doing it again.

I have had a number of messages asking if I have any spaces in my classes. I'm really sorry but I have been at full capacity for some time now.

However, I do appreciate that this is a very stressful time of year for parents who have children sitting these private school assessments in January 2013. So, I'm hoping that by setting up this support group thread I can help by answering some questions you have about these assessments.

Hopefully this thread will also contain some useful insight from the experiences of parents who have already been through the process.

Bliss3017 Tue 24-Feb-15 21:31:09

Everyone's views or suggestions pls welcome thx

Bliss3017 Tue 24-Feb-15 21:29:59

Hello mums teacher ... My son has got through the first round of Habs boys can you pls help me or put some inputs as to how the interview is and why they might expect ... Thx

T0t4llyL0st Wed 21-Jan-15 10:55:26

Please can anyone help with HABS BOYS 5+ assessment? What are boys expected to be able to do for this? The more detail someone could provide the better. I know he has to be able to read, write and do maths but what else?? Thanks

Tabya876 Tue 23-Dec-14 13:26:08

I certainly understand a parent's desire to get their child into a good school but am not certain that tutoring at 4+ is the right thing to do for the majority of children. They may struggle a lot once in the school. I have 2 nieces at NCLS (one on an academic scholarship). I know they practised past papers at home but not more than that.

My own daughter is at Guildford High School (5 years old). We never tutored her, practised with her or advised her she was having an assessment. We told her it was a playdate at a potential new school, dressed her up as a fairy (replete with wand, etc) and told her to have fun. The thinking was that if it was right for her she would get in on her innate ability rather than because she was drilled, force-fed or out-housed in.

mvmd968 Thu 16-Oct-14 13:19:12

Hi dear mumsnetters - we are also desperately looking for a 7+ tutor around the Merton (London SW) area for assessments in the next 3 weeks (Nov '14) for our 6yo DS. Seems availability is scarce given the time of year. We've been going it alone but need more experienced tutoring to guide through verbal reasoning and algebra/geometry and perhaps do several 7+ mock exams with our DS. Aware time is tight. Any tips pls email: bncl8916@gmail.com - thanks ever so much!

pash6812 Tue 23-Sep-14 16:12:16

Hi Mumteacher
My little boy is looking to go for the 3+ assessment at St.Johns, St.Martins and Northwood Prep. He's currently at Redifford- whilst I like it for its strong academia, I am still interested in the other schools.
Just wondering if we should take him in his uniform or not.
Thanks

paprikash Mon 15-Sep-14 18:44:52

Hi mumteacher gather this is unlikely, but have you got any knowledge of Forest 4+? DS is going next week and our strategy so far has been to pretend it isn't happening for fear of stress somehow becoming apparent to him.

4pluspsycho Sat 30-Aug-14 23:02:46

I've started a new thread for the 2015 intake, but I seem to be the only one! Anyone else care to join me?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2168185-4-5-7-madness-2015-whos-going-to-join-me?msgid=49202537#49202537

Lanki Wed 18-Jun-14 23:47:32

Hi, Can someone please let me know what sort of Assessment is given to 5+ at Habs boys. Has anyone got experience in the 2013 5+ entrance? Mine will be sitting for 2015 entrance. Some advice will be much appreciated.

number3ontheway Fri 04-Apr-14 22:37:17

Thanks kittermum. Really helpful.

kittermum Tue 01-Apr-14 14:08:26

Hi Number3, I have pmed you regarding 7+ !

Suremum Tue 01-Apr-14 09:29:48

Hi mumteacher,
I have sent a pm to you and hope you can reply. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

missravda Mon 24-Mar-14 21:59:51

Could anyone share what the NLCS 5+ assessment was like and what did they ask the girls to do so we can prep (if there are any vacancies next year)? Tx, x

Soveryupset Sat 22-Mar-14 13:38:11

Not nlcs but thought my experience of 8 plus might help as it reflects comments above.

Ds1 very bright but desperately understretched and seriously ignored at his primary.

We noticed he developed a habit of hiding in his books and with our own efforts to prep him for the exams we never thought of the bad habits he was picking up like not looking at people in the eye, struggling to articulate his opinions etc

Anyway after his assessment an offer was received however the head rang saying he wanted to offer feedback. He said ds1 scored incredibly well on all tests and was up there academically, however performed very badly at interview and this nearly cost him a place. All the above habits were really apparent but they decided in the end they could work to improve them. We realised we were really complacent as ds1 is so bright but actually they are looking for more.

Hope this helps a bit x

MightBe Sat 22-Mar-14 09:36:04

Workbooks are not sufficient in terms of inference and fluency (reading), multiplication tables, story writing, conversation skills (favourite book , recent trip - why enjoyed, etc.), eye contact, general knowledge or child-friendly current affairs (as you already know).

slowcomputer Fri 21-Mar-14 22:33:05

NLCS doesn't have a 5+ entry, they have one chance vacancy which is what the assessment was for. Habs has a 5+ entry so at a rough guess I'd imagine someone last year took a reception place at NLCS as they didn't get into Habs and has now got a place at Habs, thus freeing a place at NLCS.

The only ones I know of with a proper 5+ entry are The Hall, Arnold House, St. Christopher's and Habs.

ThisOneAndThatOne Fri 21-Mar-14 17:39:14

Lots of schools have a 4+ and a 5+ intake. For example The Hall has one form entry at 4+ and then one at 5+.

I don't have girls. But I would not be surprised if NLCS has a 5+ entry.

stikmatix Fri 21-Mar-14 14:15:57

Well, I guess it's to fill up the spots of the girls they 'manage out' from Reception. I doubt they'd mention that too widely!

MHDad Fri 21-Mar-14 11:20:32

Funny that about the 5+ at NLCS. was there on tuesday and saw lots of cars in the car park specifically for Year 1 assessment. Wasn't aware NLCS had a 5+ intake unless there are drop outs from the 4+ class intake that reach year 1. Can't imagine there would be many places at year 1. Funny they don't mention this widely....

number3ontheway Wed 19-Mar-14 19:50:00

I am sitting my son for 7+ this year at habs ie Jan 2015. We have just employed a tutor but she seems very workbook based. I have seen the past papers online and can see the value in these in terms or improving his verbal reasoning, maths, reading etc. However can you advise of anything else he needs to know? we have just started keeping up to date with the news. What else should we be doing? We would really appreciate thoughts from mums who have been through this or mumteacher. Thank you!

mumteacher Tue 18-Mar-14 21:13:38

I meant this week for the 5+?

mumteacher Tue 18-Mar-14 08:17:23

Anyone sitting Nlcs this?

missravda Wed 05-Mar-14 18:33:40

Hello everyone, do we have any more happy outcomes from the girls on the waiting lists? X

Platinumstar Fri 28-Feb-14 22:31:16

Hi Mum teacher thanks for your reply.. Thankfully we have been called back for round 2.. Keeping fingers crossed. I would be very grateful if you could share some tips for round 2..if possible..

knijabat Fri 28-Feb-14 13:29:27

Hi mum teacher, thanks for all your great advice, I have pm'd you too but do you have specific advice for the hall school assessments at 5 plus?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now