3+ 4+ 5+ 7+ support thread 2014

(639 Posts)
mumteacher Fri 08-Nov-13 18:47:30

I started the below thread last year and have had so many people find it useful I thought it might be worth doing it again.

I have had a number of messages asking if I have any spaces in my classes. I'm really sorry but I have been at full capacity for some time now.

However, I do appreciate that this is a very stressful time of year for parents who have children sitting these private school assessments in January 2013. So, I'm hoping that by setting up this support group thread I can help by answering some questions you have about these assessments.

Hopefully this thread will also contain some useful insight from the experiences of parents who have already been through the process.

number3ontheway Fri 04-Apr-14 22:37:17

Thanks kittermum. Really helpful.

kittermum Tue 01-Apr-14 14:08:26

Hi Number3, I have pmed you regarding 7+ !

Suremum Tue 01-Apr-14 09:29:48

Hi mumteacher,
I have sent a pm to you and hope you can reply. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

missravda Mon 24-Mar-14 21:59:51

Could anyone share what the NLCS 5+ assessment was like and what did they ask the girls to do so we can prep (if there are any vacancies next year)? Tx, x

Soveryupset Sat 22-Mar-14 13:38:11

Not nlcs but thought my experience of 8 plus might help as it reflects comments above.

Ds1 very bright but desperately understretched and seriously ignored at his primary.

We noticed he developed a habit of hiding in his books and with our own efforts to prep him for the exams we never thought of the bad habits he was picking up like not looking at people in the eye, struggling to articulate his opinions etc

Anyway after his assessment an offer was received however the head rang saying he wanted to offer feedback. He said ds1 scored incredibly well on all tests and was up there academically, however performed very badly at interview and this nearly cost him a place. All the above habits were really apparent but they decided in the end they could work to improve them. We realised we were really complacent as ds1 is so bright but actually they are looking for more.

Hope this helps a bit x

MightBe Sat 22-Mar-14 09:36:04

Workbooks are not sufficient in terms of inference and fluency (reading), multiplication tables, story writing, conversation skills (favourite book , recent trip - why enjoyed, etc.), eye contact, general knowledge or child-friendly current affairs (as you already know).

slowcomputer Fri 21-Mar-14 22:33:05

NLCS doesn't have a 5+ entry, they have one chance vacancy which is what the assessment was for. Habs has a 5+ entry so at a rough guess I'd imagine someone last year took a reception place at NLCS as they didn't get into Habs and has now got a place at Habs, thus freeing a place at NLCS.

The only ones I know of with a proper 5+ entry are The Hall, Arnold House, St. Christopher's and Habs.

ThisOneAndThatOne Fri 21-Mar-14 17:39:14

Lots of schools have a 4+ and a 5+ intake. For example The Hall has one form entry at 4+ and then one at 5+.

I don't have girls. But I would not be surprised if NLCS has a 5+ entry.

stikmatix Fri 21-Mar-14 14:15:57

Well, I guess it's to fill up the spots of the girls they 'manage out' from Reception. I doubt they'd mention that too widely!

MHDad Fri 21-Mar-14 11:20:32

Funny that about the 5+ at NLCS. was there on tuesday and saw lots of cars in the car park specifically for Year 1 assessment. Wasn't aware NLCS had a 5+ intake unless there are drop outs from the 4+ class intake that reach year 1. Can't imagine there would be many places at year 1. Funny they don't mention this widely....

number3ontheway Wed 19-Mar-14 19:50:00

I am sitting my son for 7+ this year at habs ie Jan 2015. We have just employed a tutor but she seems very workbook based. I have seen the past papers online and can see the value in these in terms or improving his verbal reasoning, maths, reading etc. However can you advise of anything else he needs to know? we have just started keeping up to date with the news. What else should we be doing? We would really appreciate thoughts from mums who have been through this or mumteacher. Thank you!

mumteacher Tue 18-Mar-14 21:13:38

I meant this week for the 5+?

mumteacher Tue 18-Mar-14 08:17:23

Anyone sitting Nlcs this?

missravda Wed 05-Mar-14 18:33:40

Hello everyone, do we have any more happy outcomes from the girls on the waiting lists? X

Platinumstar Fri 28-Feb-14 22:31:16

Hi Mum teacher thanks for your reply.. Thankfully we have been called back for round 2.. Keeping fingers crossed. I would be very grateful if you could share some tips for round 2..if possible..

knijabat Fri 28-Feb-14 13:29:27

Hi mum teacher, thanks for all your great advice, I have pm'd you too but do you have specific advice for the hall school assessments at 5 plus?

mumteacher Thu 27-Feb-14 08:04:06

Platinum star hope the 5+ worked out x

mumteacher Mon 24-Feb-14 23:12:42

Letters in post today so 5+ boys results should be out Tom depending on your postal service x

Platinumstar Mon 24-Feb-14 14:29:47

I meant Habs boys 5+ assessment

Platinumstar Mon 24-Feb-14 13:55:48

Has anyone heard from the boys 5+ assessment yet ?

AmIIndecisive Sat 22-Feb-14 19:13:02

Hi mumteacher, to clarify when I said tutored I was talking about specifically paying someone externally to train 3 year olds specifically for assessments.

If you call tutoring, normal everyday things you do with a child who is inquisitive or willing to learn, reading stories, looking at books, an inquisitive child will ask what letter that is, or what number that is or how many sweets do I have etc, or what is that animal called, or please can I have a pencil I want to do drawing.

Maybe we should agree to disagree but I think tutoring a 3 year old is absolute madness, a much older child who was struggling with fractions is a different scenario (in the first instance I would expect the school teachers to help, then if that failed maybe I would try and help if I could work it out!) but if, and let's use your example, a 3 year old is struggling with these tasks, is this going to be the right school for them anyway at that age??

They have safety scissors and glue and things to cut with at her nursery, we have none at home, excuse my naïveté but don't most nurseries have that? Re drawing, yes my dd draws ok, she is interested in it, by the same token, my older son never was and I never made him sit down to draw, nor did the nursery.

To answer your last point, my concern is that tutors, in RL and on mumsnet, are perpetuating the myth that you have to tutor (pay externally) to pass the 4+ and it's in all your interests to do that. You select your candidates, who knows how many would have got in regardless, the fact that those parents who contact you in the first place are obviously committed enough to their children's education to think of spending money on private education and doing whatever it takes to get in so they are halfway there. The whole tutoring at 3 feels like a bit of scaremongering to be honest.

mumteacher Sat 22-Feb-14 11:52:44

Their

mumteacher Sat 22-Feb-14 11:49:49

AmIIindec of course ;)
I've mentioned this before but the term 'tutoring' shouldnt always mean paying someone to prepare a child for these assessments. Why can't it mean it's someone a parent a nanny assisting ? Parents who work 10 hrs a day may not have the luxury to help their Chn in the same way as other parents who can spend afternoons doing puzzles with their Chn. Should these Chn then be labelled as being tutored?

AmIIindec if your nursery is not fast paced and covers the ground required to "pass" these assessments then who did these thing with your daughter? Someone would've had to teach her to draw well and cut accurately.
Very rarely do girls need much assistances after they've secured a place, and they need assists to secure a place because it's a numbers game.

Now let's assume you helped prep her for the assessments. When she's in her new school and she struggles with maths for example aren't you going to help her? How is that different from again the parent who works 6 days a week employing a person for half a term to make sure that their daughter understands fractions?

It haven't yet understood what the objection is against- that a person is paid to do the things that a stay at home or parent that works part time can do?!

Someone up thread asked me what they need to do with there dd for 5+ I mention three/4 things. That parent is hopefully going to go and do it and figures crossed their dd will secured a place. How is this different from say me teaching their child these things and the child securing a place?

Slowcomputer a lot of the state schools won't cover much of what's required for the 5+ but some of the private schools may.

slowcomputer Sat 22-Feb-14 10:37:44

I don’t know whether we were completely naïve in not being more pushy with the prepping.

Yes, you were
So was I
So are many many people each year so don't feel bad about it

The numbers are now so ridiculous that without proper preparation the odds are stacked against you- doesn't mean that no unprepared girls get in, but it is much much harder.

I believe that for Habs 5+ they need to be reading at ORT level 2-3 and comfortably adding/taking away up to 10, which many schools won't have covered by Christmas of reception year.

AmIIndecisive Sat 22-Feb-14 01:58:20

I would prefer not out myself on mumsnet if that's ok - I hope you understand.

Its a nursery though not a pre school and I know they have had occasional children go to selectives schools but not big numbers, certainly nowhere near the place that the previous poster put a link to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now