3+ 4+ 5+ 7+ support thread 2014

(643 Posts)
mumteacher Fri 08-Nov-13 18:47:30

I started the below thread last year and have had so many people find it useful I thought it might be worth doing it again.

I have had a number of messages asking if I have any spaces in my classes. I'm really sorry but I have been at full capacity for some time now.

However, I do appreciate that this is a very stressful time of year for parents who have children sitting these private school assessments in January 2013. So, I'm hoping that by setting up this support group thread I can help by answering some questions you have about these assessments.

Hopefully this thread will also contain some useful insight from the experiences of parents who have already been through the process.

mumteacher Wed 13-Nov-13 20:56:59

Mustbebetterwife I'm confused. Are you asking my advice to help aid your decision re state vs private? Is your son sitting manor lodge because this was in October! Habs? One is 4+ and the other starts at 5+.

mustbeabetterwife Wed 13-Nov-13 21:28:53

no, not advice for state vs private - I need to make that decision..

I know the assessments were in oct - just wanted general information on manor lodge and lochinver house assessments if you have knowledge of them please, presume they don't change greatly year from year - need to then make a decision on whether to register for him for these schools..

forget habs - I'm not particularly keen on them.

thank you!

finland Wed 13-Nov-13 22:36:23

My son is in Year 1 in a prep school which does not prepare for 7+. I am thinking of sitting him for 7+ next year for Highgate and Habs. You have mentioned doing Assessment papers and importance of starting early. Can you give me an idea of how I should pace the year if I were to start preparation soon? At the moment I am just making sure he is doing a good job of the home work he is getting and reading. But bit stuck as to where to start next as feel too early for assessment papers. Maybe should just wait to start preparation?

mumteacher Thu 14-Nov-13 13:49:16

Finland possibly a little early. I won't start prep for 2015 entry till end of jan 2014. I'm sure you so this already but asking questions at/during reading time will be beneficial. Ask 'deeper' question that require much more thought and maybe lead to a discussion. Eg how was the main character feeling at this point in the story? Can you give me 3 examples of how the author shows us this? This should will translate naturally into written comprehension when the time comes.

bunnys Fri 15-Nov-13 12:56:38

Mum teacher, please can you give some guidance on Northwood prep, St Martin's, St Johns and Orley farm for 4+ boys
many thanks
smile

mumteacher Fri 15-Nov-13 19:47:24

Bunnys are you sitting for these schools in Jan 2014? Did you sit 3+? What's your son's DOB?

bunnys Wed 20-Nov-13 15:23:52

Hi mumteacher
yes he will be sitting in Jan 2014 - he didn't sit the 3+. DOB is Dec 2009

thanks

SK22 Fri 22-Nov-13 20:57:03

Our DS had the 3+ assessments for Northwood Prep and St Martins and been offered a place at both. We are really struggling to choose from the 2 schools, any recommendations on which school to go for?

mumteacher Mon 25-Nov-13 10:16:56

Bunnys being an older child he will be expected to excel at the assessments. ESP since many of the schools you mention have the bulk of their in take at the 3+. Pencil control will be tested so make sure he has a good grip and can write his name. Orley assessments are longer usually just under 2 hrs and inc a physical element to the assessment.

sheehu Wed 27-Nov-13 10:32:40

Hello - thank you for starting this thread.

I would also be interested to hear on the HABS boys 5+ entry process. Is it just one assessment day or two rounds? My boy is reading up to level 6 (ORT), writings small text about his day etc, can add and subtract up to 20, do simple two digit column additions and knows his 1 and 2 timestables. He can draw 2-d shapes. He does not know how to tell the time fully though (only the hour). We have not considered tutoring as yet, but is there anything else that we are missing out on that we should try and cover?

mumteacher Fri 29-Nov-13 13:01:10

Sheehu what a smart young man you have there. Habs boys is 2 rounds first in Feb, second a few weeks later.
What's his general knowledge like? Does he know where elephants live? Does he know which mode of transport requires tracks? That sort of thing.

You don't need to tutor - by the sounds of things you've done great so far!

Niku Fri 29-Nov-13 14:22:29

Can anyone provide any insights on the LEH and Guildford High 7+ process? I am keen to know if either of them do verbal/non verbal reasoning tests. Also Guildford High seems to have the assessments for the whole day so keen to know what they cover over the whole day. Does anyone know when the Wimbeldon High assessment results will be out (tests for the 4 places took place on 27th Nov !)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

sh77 Tue 03-Dec-13 18:28:00

Hi mumteacher
Do you know what the 5+ Arnold House assessment is like? I hear they give preference to children of old boys and siblings - neither apply to us.
Many thanks!

sh77 Thu 05-Dec-13 15:00:18

Bumping for mumteacher

ThisOneAndThatOne Thu 05-Dec-13 16:15:27

Arnold house do a 45 min interview with parents and a 15 minute assessment of the boy.

So I think entry is rather haphazard. But worth a try.

Don't put all your eggs in this basket.

Dropsy23 Thu 05-Dec-13 16:34:05

Thisoneandthatone do you have any tips for the girls habs5+ assessment. Thank you

ThisOneAndThatOne Thu 05-Dec-13 16:39:10

Sorry. No experience of the girls school.

mumteacher Thu 05-Dec-13 21:21:16

Sh77 Arnold house ask parents to visit at their open days/evenings and yes as mentioned there is a parent interview. Make sure you have read all the literature and have relevant questions ready to ask. Have you son ready to talk about favourite toys/books/holidays/animals. And dislikes. They don't have a sibling policy but they do seem to favour siblings with only 36/38 places and dome already taken by siblings it's very competitive as I'm sure you know x

mumteacher Thu 05-Dec-13 21:35:24

I have had a mumsnetter PM asking for advice for 5+ girls ( Habs) earlier this year. I spoke to the lady and after much discussion I agreed to see her daughter. I'm honest and transparent in my feedback to parents and I guess this parent didn't like what she heard because she turned aggressive threatening all sorts.

For this reason alone I am not able to offer any advice on 5+ girls this year.

I am normally happy to share my experience and knowledge because I do understand how stressful the process is and the tight lipped the culture around these assessments.

My sincere apologies xXx

Dropsy23 Fri 06-Dec-13 12:10:28

Mumteacher that is a real shame especially because you started this blog to help mums like me. Why offer this then for all other schools and not habs ( girls ) don't really understand but your prerogative.

Dropsy 23

mumteacher Fri 06-Dec-13 21:53:07

Dropsy23 I'm sorry - truly I am.

I won't offer assistance for 5+ girls because I know the parent in question has a daughter sitting 5+ and that they follow my threads.

sh77 Fri 06-Dec-13 23:00:44

Thanks mumteacher for your response. V helpful.

Americanhoney Sun 08-Dec-13 21:44:10

Hi, thanks for this thread. Our DD was called back for the final assessment for 4+ entry at SHHS (junior school). do you know if it is much different from the first assessment? Thanks

soundevenfruity Wed 11-Dec-13 23:22:11

I would really appreciate an advice. DS has a place offer from a prep school and I am thinking about how to improve his pencil control. He just started initiating all drawing and writing himself but it's a bit wobbly. How can I make it more interesting for him? He really dislikes if it looks like I am teaching him something but is happy to do it with others. His nursery is all about free play and not pressurising children into anything.

allmixedupreally Thu 12-Dec-13 14:17:23

Hi mum teacher I have also PM you but wondered if you had any experience of 7+ Colet Court and Latymer Prep? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now