Level 6 English?

(9 Posts)
Biscuitsneeded Thu 07-Nov-13 10:58:28

A question for KS2 teachers:
How many children, % wise, get Level 6 English each year? Just that really! Thanks.

Iamnotminterested Thu 07-Nov-13 11:38:50

Do you mean reading or writing, op? The reading test is externally marked but I think I'm correct in saying that writing is teacher assessed only(?).
1 child out of 42 got L6 reading this year at my DCs school, so a very small % and to my knowledge there have never been any L6 writers.
Watching with interest as DD is only in year 5 but is being tipped as being L6 for reading, writing, SPaG and maths in year 6 (obviously have not told her this and won't until needed).

Biscuitsneeded Thu 07-Nov-13 13:11:59

Thanks, Iamnot. I volunteer in Year 6 in my kids' school, helping with literacy. Up until now I've been working with a small group each year who have been in danger of not getting their Level 4. This year, out of the blue they have asked me to help prepare a group of potential Level 6 children. We are working on the reading and the SPaG; nobody has mentioned writing, so perhaps they aren't going to attempt it. The children seem very able and I have really enjoyed working with them so far, but I am wondering how realistic it is to think they might get the Level 6. I don't want to raise hopes too much if they're going to be dashed in the summer.

PastSellByDate Thu 07-Nov-13 14:13:04

Hi Biscuitsneeded:

Provisional results for KS2 SATs nationally from Department of statistics are here: [https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/245737/SFR34_2013_KS2_Text.pdf]]

For English - "In 2013, 0% of pupils were awarded a level 6 in reading (note a level 6 was awarded to approximately 2,178 pupils in reading, but as a percentage this rounds to 0), no change from the figure of 0% last year."

For Maths - "Level 6 was awarded to 7% of pupils, an increase of 3 percentage points from last year’s figure of 3%. Boys outperformed girls at this level, with 8% of boys and 5% of girls achieving the level."

HTH

Iamnotminterested Thu 07-Nov-13 14:42:58

Biscuits, do the kids you are helping know why they are doing the extra stuff? And hoping that that the borderline 3/4 kids are still getting extra help too?

Biscuitsneeded Thu 07-Nov-13 14:43:46

Ah..... I had a feeling the numbers achieving it were negligible. Well, I guess I'll play it down and just see what happens. 17% of our last year's Y6 got Level 6 maths but I don't think anyone tried for the English. It would be nice if a couple of them could get it this year. Thanks very much for the information.

Amythesianwaterfall Thu 07-Nov-13 14:53:20

18% in the sp and g test for us but only 6% reading- papers were v tricky!
Maths was higher thoughsmile

Biscuitsneeded Thu 07-Nov-13 20:48:58

Yes, there will be help for the 3/4 kids too but someone else will be doing that. The Head is far too concerned about his results to risk anyone getting a 3 if there is any chance it could have been a 4! I asked the kids today if they knew why they were in the group and they didn't, but as the paper said Level 6 all over it I figured I had to address the issue somehow. I just said that as they have all obviously been doing well they might like to see what a Level 6 paper looks like, and left it at that. T

Ihatespiders Thu 07-Nov-13 21:26:00

Recent Ofsted inspections seem to be picking out lack of L6 as a reason for criticism. There's a sudden focus on L6 at my school as a result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now