Do children miss a lot of class education when they are pulled out to do special catch up work?

(38 Posts)
SweetSkull Mon 04-Nov-13 21:00:28

I don't know exactly how to write this down. My dd (6) always were slow at literacy and now from Y2 she has been pulled out of class to do some catch up work one by one or in small groups. I had just done a CAF for dyslexia with SENCO and probably this will happen more often (I think).
But will she be missing out on what the other children are learning in class when she is catching up out of class?

I know there isn't probably other way to fit extra support for children like her and I am not complaining, just trying to understand how school works.

TIA

Hulababy Tue 05-Nov-13 18:10:28

In our school it is usually the TAs who are the most experienced and trained in specific interventions, and who are most often involved with specific outside agencies for certain pupils. Therefore, for us and our school set up - it makes more sense for the child requiring additional support to work with a TA.

We tend to do interventions in assembly time, and where not possible - short 15 minute sessions in an afternoon - so may miss a little time from class but never literacy, numeracy or phonics. They never miss PE or celebration assembly either, EAL or SpLD never miss singing or story either.

We do interventions when a child's IEP requires it, and with parental agreement.

We do a before school interention - also prepared and delivered by a TA - for children requiring support, usually Literacy, where prents may also attend to if they wish.

In a morning our TAs support the whole class learning in literacy and numeracy - and may be working with any of the groups, depending on the lesson plan for that day.

However, all this really depends on how your specific school works and how well trained/qualified/experiences the TAs are.

FWIW all our inspections and observations, from OFSTED, LEA adnd other agencies hoave rated our intervention policy as Outstanding and the pupil's progress (for those who attend them) as Outstanding - so something must be working right.

Our intervention timetable is very detailed and well organised - and, the key, is that our TAs are so well trained and work so closely with teachers but also, and rather importantly, the outside agencies.

Biscuitsneeded Tue 05-Nov-13 18:11:14

My son goes to extra literacy in year 4 because he didn't make sufficient progress in Y3. I was all for it until he told me he is missing 2 out of 4 maths lessons to do this! I mentioned my concerns to the teacher and she agreed it wasn't ideal but said the help was only available at those times. I asked her to monitor his maths in case it was being affected, but so far he is still doing well. My son is an able boy with Level 4s at the end of Year 3 for maths and reading, but a 3c in writing , hence the intervention. However, the other boys (they are of course all boys, depressingly) who are having literacy interventions with him find all aspects of learning quite difficult. I do wonder how it can be helping them to miss half of their maths lessons, but I don't know their parents well enough to say anything and I don't want to sound like I am saying "Well of course it's OK for MY boy, who is good at maths, but not for yours..."

Hulababy Tue 05-Nov-13 18:12:59

We would never do interventions in play times or lunch times. Our children really do need the time to let put excess energy.

mrz Tue 05-Nov-13 20:28:13

No ShellyF it lots of primary schools.

kilmuir Tue 05-Nov-13 21:12:44

My dd had an hour of one to one maths , once a week when she was in year 6. It was after school so we had to agree

ShellyF Tue 05-Nov-13 22:54:36

Maybe in your area mrz.Not looking to argue with you.Everyone arranges things differentlyand in ways which suit their own schools.
In our school children never miss their regular Numeracy and Literacy sessions.The support they have is in addition to their entitlement within class.Support is provided by TAs and teachers according to need.We use pupil premium money towards funding some of the support.
Timings vary week to week to ensure children are not always missing out on certain areas.
This is not what I expect all schools should do as we are all different.:-)

BackforGood Tue 05-Nov-13 23:04:08

What Xoch said on P1 and a great post from Hula on this page. Also good post from ShellyF

mrz Wed 06-Nov-13 06:47:54

ShellyF that's exactly what happens in my school and many others but it isn't what parents on MN report and it isn't what teachers on TES primary post either.

mrz Wed 06-Nov-13 06:55:57

ShellyF that's exactly what happens in my school and many others but it isn't what parents on MN report and it isn't what teachers on TES primary post either. If you read the comments from parents on this thread you will see children are missing important lessons to be sent off with a TA to work outside the class either for interventions or differentiated work.

sharpesttool Wed 06-Nov-13 07:22:10

In our school dd goes out for her maths and literacy support. She is constantly missing the first or last half hour of a session and being pulled out mid work which imo just gives her more to catch up on.

In fairness it used to be in maths and literacy but they have moved it I presume because she was missing work and now she is always complaining as she misses golden time, art and ict and is always the one who has to do their ict presentation having not finished it or never gets time to finish her clay model or misses baking so it feels to her like a punishment.

ShellyF Wed 06-Nov-13 18:11:42

I did read the posts and sympathise but think the problems are down to poor management.I would expect complaints from parents if the children were missing out.

lljkk Wed 06-Nov-13 20:07:11

Dd was pulled out of ICT to do violin or latin (not like OP at all!) but yes she did suffer a bit, still her weakest subject.

Mirage Thu 07-Nov-13 13:31:58

Yes,DD2 [8] had some catch up maths lessons,which meant that she missed music and french with the rest of the class.She wasn't bothered about missing french but enjoyed music.wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now