Year 2 maths

(7 Posts)
Campaspe Mon 04-Nov-13 19:35:20

DD is in Y2. She finds maths quite hard, so I'm trying to get a feel for what exactly she needs to be able to do to be average (whatever that means!) at the end of year 2.

I imagine she needs to know her 2,5 and 10 times tables, be able to count and order numbers, and do basic addition and subtraction up to 20? Is there more? With telling the time, how much do they have to be able to do?

I've googled this and am looking for something quite basic. I was quite alarmed by looking at KS1 SATS papers, as my DD would struggle I think to understand what sum she would need to do, though I think she could do the sum if it didn't take the shape of a problem IYSWIM?

We're doing a lot of Mathletics and DD tries hard. Just wonder if I need to be doing more so she doesn't fall behind. Thanks for your help

BoysRule Mon 04-Nov-13 19:42:57

The key things that she needs to be on top of are mental arithmetic - e.g. able to do number bonds to 10 and 20 quickly, times tables that you said etc as this is the foundation of a lot of the rest of maths.

She also needs to be able to tell the time to quarter to and quarter past at least. This could easily be done at home - just try to remember to ask her the time when it is one of these!

The solving problem thing is also key - she needs to be able to pick out the sum from the problem. This is really, really hard and children really struggle with working out whether to use addition, subtraction, multiplication or division. What I always try to do is get the child to picture the problem, by drawing diagrams, using models or role play. All of these you could do at home.

Happypiglet Mon 04-Nov-13 19:46:52

I started a thread about my Yr2 DD today (I am hopeless at links buts its called DD 'over' levelled in Maths?) another poster kindly attached a link to a list of 2b expectations which are for the end of year 2- it might help

toomuchicecream Mon 04-Nov-13 20:08:57

Remember that children are still learning incredibly quickly in year 2 - just because she couldn't do an end of year 2 SATS paper now, it doesn't mean she won't be able to do it in 8 months time.

I'm a big believer in the importance of playing games - card games, board games - anything that involves counting, addition and subtraction. And things like cooking, shopping, counting how many stairs there are (if too easy then double up and make each stair worth 2), looking for odd and even numbers on houses as you go down the road.

amidaiwish Mon 04-Nov-13 20:23:01

they learn a lot in year 2 so don't fret yet as it is a long time away.

the bond books are quite good - get the age 5-6 (yr1) one first then the 6-7(yr2) as they are quite hard.
2s, 5s and 10s, they learn to count in these multiples rather than reliably know that eg 5x4=20 (ie can use fingers to go 5,10,15,20) well that was my DD anyway and she somehow managed a level 3 in the sats (scrape i am sure).
the hardest thing for her was money, so get some toy money (fun learning do a set) and work out some scenarios. e.g i buy an ice cream for 26p, which coins do i need?
ok i only have £1, how much change do i get (count on from 26 to 100= 74 rather than try and subtract)
Time - yes o'clock, half past, quarter to, quarter past

PastSellByDate Thu 07-Nov-13 13:48:17

Hi Campaspe:

DD2 was given some photocopies in Y1 from one of the Letts magical maths books and really liked working through concepts in it. In fact, she couldn't wait to do the worksheets she was given over Easter break.

I've found a link on Amazon which lets you see some of the book: www.amazon.co.uk/Mythical-Maths-6-7-KS1/dp/184419177X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383831801&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=Y2+Letts+maths

there are several versions - magical/ mystery/ mythical/ etc...

Most large newsagents/ book stores & amazon will have these.

The 'fantasy' format seems to really appeal.

---------------

Games are also a brilliant way of getting practice in:

maths champs: www.mathschamps.co.uk/#home will help consolidate learning. Start in 5-7 age range but explore options in 7 - 9 as well.

BBC Bitesize offers practice in English/ Science & Maths for KS1 and this can be done by difficulty level: www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks1/ - these are totally appropriate for your DD's age right now and help reinforce concepts.

Finally woodlands junior school's maths zone has all sorts of links to games for more practice - all you have to do is select the area to work on and maybe have a preview of a game to ensure it isn't too difficult. Link here: resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/

HTH

Ferguson Thu 07-Nov-13 19:03:37

Hi -

I'll add below stuff I always send out in this sort of situation :

QUOTE:

Practical things are best for grasping number concepts - bricks, Lego, beads, counters, money, shapes, weights, measuring, cooking.

Do adding, taking away, multiplication (repeated addition), division (sharing), using REAL OBJECTS as just 'numbers' can be too abstract for some children.

Number Bonds of Ten forms the basis of much maths work, so try to learn them. Using Lego or something similar, use a LOT of bricks (of just TWO colours, if you have enough) lay them out so the pattern can be seen of one colour INCREASING while the other colour DECREASES. Lay them down, or build up like steps.

So:

ten of one colour none of other
nine of one colour one of other
eight of one colour two of other
seven of one colour three of other

etc, etc

then of course, the sides are equal at 5 and 5; after which the colours 'swap over' as to increasing/decreasing.

To learn TABLES, do them in groups that have a relationship, thus:

x2, x4, x8

x3, x6, x12

5 and 10 are easy

7 and 9 are rather harder.

Starting with TWO times TABLE, I always say: "Imagine the class is lining up in pairs; each child will have a partner, if there is an EVEN number in the class. If one child is left without a partner, then the number is ODD, because an odd one is left out."

Use Lego bricks again, lay them out in a column of 2 wide to learn 2x table. Go half way down the column, and move half the bricks up, so that now the column is 4 bricks wide. That gives the start of 4x table.

Then do similar things with 3x and 6x.

With 5x, try and count in 'fives', and notice the relationship with 'ten' - they will alternate, ending in 5 then 10.

It is important to try and UNDERSTAND the relationships between numbers, and not just learn them 'by rote'.

I am sorry it seems complicated trying to explain these concepts, but using Lego or counters should make understanding easier.

An inexpensive solar powered calculator (no battery to run out!) can help learn tables by 'repeated addition'. So: enter 2+2 and press = to give 4. KEEP PRESSING = and it should add on 2 each time, giving 2 times table.

There are good web sites, which can be fun to use :

www.ictgames.com/

www.resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/maths/index.html

UNQUOTE

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now