Board games for 6-8 yr olds

(25 Posts)
whydidnttheywarnme Fri 25-Oct-13 17:55:14

Can anyone recommend any fun and educational board games for 6 to 8 year olds? Thank you for any suggestions.

Rooble Fri 25-Oct-13 17:59:57

Depends how you define educational. The Lego games are all fun and teach children to be mature about winning/losing etc. Plus you have to build them yourself, plus you can adapt the rules to suit yourself, which I think is quite a good lesson.
Yahtzee good for your times tables up to x6, and for adding up.
Rummikub good for spotting number sequences.
Bananagrams good for wordplay....

Seeline Fri 25-Oct-13 18:01:16

A lot of the standard board games have 'junior' versions. Monopoly and scrabble were favourites of my DCs.
Also Orchard GAmes do fun, educational games although your DC may be at the upper age range for those now.
Cards games are good fun at that age - Uno is popular, and basic standard games such as trumps are good.
At that age they could probably master the basics of draughts too.

binger Fri 25-Oct-13 18:10:37

Have a look at the brain box games. My 7yo ds has asked for the maths one after playing a friend's.

Periwinkle007 Fri 25-Oct-13 20:39:47

my girls recently won Pass the Bomb junior in a competition and they really like that, also we were given one of the brain box games which is very popular with both. Shut the box is maths related.

Minime85 Fri 25-Oct-13 20:54:30

orchard toys do good board games for this age with varying degrees of educational input. good for taking turns, memory, numbers etc.

Herisson Sat 26-Oct-13 14:10:56

Qwirkle is brilliant for children.

stargirl1701 Sat 26-Oct-13 14:13:58

Orchard Games are fab. We have them all at school.

naicehameggandchips Sat 26-Oct-13 18:12:49

Uno is also good if you get them to help add up the scores after each round - will be counting up to about 100 including in 20's and number bonds.

sheridand Sat 26-Oct-13 18:28:53

Coppit! Enormous fun, and quick counting required.

lljkk Sat 26-Oct-13 18:33:13

Good age for chess. Drafts & Backgammon (lots of math in backgammon).

hels71 Sat 26-Oct-13 18:38:34

Whot....if you score then you have to think logically..

BendyBusBuggy Sat 26-Oct-13 18:39:29

The labyrinth

ChippingInNeedsANYFUCKER Sat 26-Oct-13 18:40:41

Rummikub is brilliant (maths).

Monopoly is good (maths, negotiating, property investment grin, return on investment <<< all without realising they're learning!).

Card games are surprisingly good.

Yahtzee.

Lots of games are really good but in more subtle ways - battleship, cluedo, frustration, pass the pigs. Most of them teach something!

Ragwort Sat 26-Oct-13 18:44:13

Agree with Chipping - any decent board game is fantastic - my son loved Monopoly, Rummikub, Scrabble, Uno, card games - now that he is 12 I feel quite nostaligic for those games, it's such an effort to get him away from the PS3 etc sad.

Herrison - we (well, I grin) love Qwirkle too, did you get it over here? We were sent it as a gift from USA.

ThisIsBULLSHIT Sat 26-Oct-13 18:46:59

We pay one called Set, it's a bit like an iq test but we can all play it, 5 yr old and 11 yr old both like it.
Monopoly junior is good, dd plays strategy, monopoly Star Wars, to hello is also a good one!

Trumpton Sat 26-Oct-13 18:47:42

I second Labyrinth .says 8-14 but I was playing it with DGD at 6 years old. HERE

Biscuitsneeded Sun 27-Oct-13 14:25:04

Cluedo is great for my 8 year old. 6 year old needs a bit of help to play but loves it...

LIZS Sun 27-Oct-13 14:29:14

Cranium Cadoo/Junior is good fun.

Retroformica Mon 28-Oct-13 06:46:54

Rush hour

Junior scrabble

DS is 7, we play normal monopoly and scrabble with him. We also have a couple of lego games, which I have been really impressed with. Currently enjoying a Harry Potter one which has reasonable complexity and makes you think logically.

melanie777 Sun 08-Dec-13 10:02:14

Starplayer the football boardgame fsmile My 3 nephews love this game, the youngest was 6 when he first played and with help from other players wanted to play again. There's game money to buy and cards to pick for instructions, so counting and reading practice for kids without them realising which is good. Uses 2 dice on each move.

Elibean Sun 08-Dec-13 15:34:38

'Don't Say That' (or something like that) is good for vocab/speaking/listening.

There's one where you put cards on your head and ask questions to find out who you are, which is lots of relaxing fun - ditto charades.

Card games are good.

Monopoly and scrabble are good, but dd (just turned 7) has got bored of them now.

mummy1973 Sun 08-Dec-13 19:45:26

Not exactly a board game but been playing connect 4 with ds who is 6 today and he loved it.

mummy1973 Sun 08-Dec-13 19:46:12

He also plays dominos with my mum!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now