Homophones: one/won

(58 Posts)
HeShouldKnowBetter Sun 20-Oct-13 22:31:41

Is it just my accent that makes them sound different?

<sigh>

It is moan about school night here obviously!

Stravy Sun 20-Oct-13 22:35:30

Different in my accent. I think they sound the same when they are both pronounced a bit like Juan, which some people do.

I say them the same.

I'm northern. They are different to me. ie wonn and wunn.

W-u-n. That's how I say them.

steppemum Sun 20-Oct-13 22:46:58

they sound the same in my accent.

HmmAnOxfordComma Sun 20-Oct-13 22:59:08

One is a homophone for wan in my accent (v mild Midlands).

Ditto Hmm, I have one and wan as homophones, not won (which sounds like wunn when I say it).

I didn't realise I still had any midland accent! grin

thestauntonlick Sun 20-Oct-13 23:55:20

They would be the same in a Yorkshire accent I think, but not in mine (lancashire)

MMcanny Sun 20-Oct-13 23:56:35

They are deffo homophones. I could give you a long convoluted story about my job and out myself or just say 'they are pronounced the same' - 'one macro' mean anything to anybody?

BiscuitMillionaire Mon 21-Oct-13 00:00:28

1 1 was a race horse
2 2 was one too
1 1 won a race one day
2 2 1 1 2

We had this in Ds's homework - also 'are' and 'hour'. How the buggery balls do they sound the same? Not round here anyway!!

Agree - 'one' and 'won' do NOT sound the same!!

HumpdaySelfie Mon 21-Oct-13 01:49:35

One and won same.

Hour and are WTF? To whom??!

People who live in Downtown Abbey I believe HumpdaySelfie. DS and I don't. Nor do any children in his class as far as I'm aware :-)

RadagastTheBrown Mon 21-Oct-13 02:03:07

One & won certainly homophones. I know dialect can give regional variations but dictionary definitions give the pronunciation as identical.

Hour & are - no way, José!

HumpdaySelfie Mon 21-Oct-13 02:10:43

Okay. I can just about imagine it for Downton.

Wondering if it might also work for a Londoner...

juniper9 Mon 21-Oct-13 02:11:48

I remember getting lost when I was little because I was meant to meet my brother in ourprice, but I hadn't realised it was spelt with an o as it was also said as are-price.

In Manchester our and are are often homophobes. And won and one are completely different.

juniper9 Mon 21-Oct-13 02:12:55

*always said

Also, there's the whole 'our kid' said as 'are kid' thing.

HesMyLobster Mon 21-Oct-13 02:19:48

I'm from East Mids.
Won and one are homophones.
Our and are are also homophones here.
Hour and are - definitely not!

Periwinkle007 Mon 21-Oct-13 14:04:39

I would say won and one as the same.

I would say are as r, our/hour as ower (not ohwer but ow as in owch). I am a southerner brought up by geordies.

I always wondered about poor and pour as some people say them the same but in the north east it is more pooer and I used to get teased for saying it wrong down south so I think I just say it oddly.

shrinkingnora Mon 21-Oct-13 14:07:15

One, won = wun
Wan = won to rhyme with on

HumpdaySelfie Mon 21-Oct-13 14:41:49

Paw, poor, pour can be homophones to some.

Not me they will nivver take oor FREEDOM

<eats Scottish chip from shoulder>

Not here in Lancashire they're not, but remember friends saying them the same when I lived in the midlands.

youbethemummylion Mon 21-Oct-13 17:49:56

North East here and they are not the same won is pronounced wun. However we may not be in the majority here a lot of Julia Donaldsons rhymes dont make sense here scarf and laugh in the stickman for instance!

PlatinumStart Mon 21-Oct-13 17:57:54

South east here (and a bit posh) one and won are the same.

I'm also of the view that hour is only one syllable, but it is not a homophone of are

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now