Why would an OFSTED report take 15 days?

(15 Posts)
halfwildlingwoman Sun 20-Oct-13 07:59:57

In every school I have worked in or had dealings with, the report has come out at the end of the second day.The secondary school I work in was inspected last year and we knew at 4.30 on the second day, and that was under the new framework.
My DS' primary school has just been inspected and we've been told fifteen days before the report is published. Anyone want to hazard a guess at what is going on?

BoundandRebound Sun 20-Oct-13 08:02:30

Standard practice that its published within 3 weeks of inspection and heads re supposed to keep confidential until publishing

Heads decision over whether to share with staff before, but stupid not to in my opinion.

Be prepared though OFSTED us very different since sept 2013 - very easy to get a 3 requires improvement grade now

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Sun 20-Oct-13 08:09:31

We were OFSTED-ed last week. We (the teachers) have been instructed by the head not to disclose our result until publication, which is due in 2 weeks.

The report is drafted by the inspector, then it gets sent back to the head for her to check for any factual errors/huge disagreements then it gets sent back and published online. We've been told 2 weeks too.

HalfSpamHalfBrisket Sun 20-Oct-13 08:10:42

doh - ignore the second "We've been told 2 weeks too" (post-OFSTED fuzzy brain)

mycatoscar Sun 20-Oct-13 08:11:30

This just happened to us a few weeks back. Ofsted came to the school I work at and although we have been told at the end of inspection every other time the head was not even allowed to tell staff until 2 weeks later once the grade had been verified by tribal.

We went from satisfactory to good grin

Apparently they are really tightening up on confidentiality and a school near us was reinspected following a leak by staff of the grade on Facebook. Our head was taking no chances!

Jaynebxl Sun 20-Oct-13 08:15:19

That's the difference between the verbal communication at the end of the 2nd day which in my experience heads share with staff, and the actual written report which would obviously take longer to actually produce and is then made available to parents.

mycatoscar Sun 20-Oct-13 08:18:05

Ah just realised you are a parent, not staff. A two week wait is completely normal in that case and has been for as long as i can remember (12 years teaching).

halfwildlingwoman Sun 20-Oct-13 08:24:01

OK. Thank you very much. It seems this Head is going more by the book then, which is good. The teaching staff obviously know gradings for their lessons, but not overall.

OK, another question. Can an inspection really be triggered by parental complaint? If it was just, say 3 complaints, in a school with 200 pupils?

JudithOfThePiece Sun 20-Oct-13 08:24:30

We were inspected earlier this year and the report took two MONTHS to get to us. Nothing had changed from the feedback we got at the end of the day. We were told it had passed through the quality assurance process within a week and then later told that the high volume of settings going through the process meant there was a backlog. I chased it a number of time and we were told it was just admin delays on their side.

juniper9 Sun 20-Oct-13 08:44:35

mycatoscar I heard the same thing- someone at our local school had put it on Facebook.

Our inspection was a few months back. I think the Facebook thing might be an urban legend

mycatoscar Sun 20-Oct-13 09:22:46

Thank you for confirming my suspicions juniper! gringrin

Still, there's no way a head would risk it happening.

mycatoscar Sun 20-Oct-13 09:25:03

And OP I'm no expert but I would imagine that it would depend entirely in the nature of the complaint(s) and many other factors (data, time passed since last inspection etc.).

tiggytape Sun 20-Oct-13 09:54:12

Yes complaints can trigger an inspection but usually more in the sense of bringing forward a planned inspection rather than causing one where none was due (unless the complaint was very serious).

The normal time scale between inspection and publication is 2-3 weeks. If it gets to 6 weeks or 2 months, it is normally a sign that the results aren't good and the school are quibbling over it but might just be a backlog or a factual error in the report. The grading is known by the Head much sooner but she isn't allowed to tell.

EATmum Sun 20-Oct-13 09:57:49

My daughter's school had their initial result overturned because the process hadn't been good enough - no fault of the school at all but the inspectors hadn't done the job properly. So there are good reasons not to publish till it's verified.

admission Sun 20-Oct-13 18:13:24

The RI of the inspection feeds back to the Head teacher and under the new current arrangement as many governors who wish to attend the meeting plus representative from the LA. There is obviously a process of moderation that any inspection goes through - the detailed findings of the inspectors have to match with the words that are going to be in the report and as such the outcome of the inspection has to remain confidential until it has gone through that moderation.
It is bonkers to consider that staff at the school will not be told what the general outcome of the report is going to be. Lets be honest if it is bad news staff will normally tell from the hangdog expression on the head teacher or the superior smile!
It also says a lot about Ofsted inspectors or head teachers if they are imposing draconian measures of confidentiality because they do not trust those people to keep the outcome confidential. For those small number of people, associated with any school, who do not appear to be able to keep their mouth shut and retain confidentiality, I would question whether they have any right to be in the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now