Homework at KS2. How long to complete it?

(15 Posts)
hels71 Sun 13-Oct-13 11:01:56

Quick question for those who have children at KS2, especially the lower end.
If they have homework consisting of:
10 spellings to learn and sentences to write with each word in
A written piece of literacy or numeracy
reading book
mental maths targets (eg tables or bonds to 20)

Which of the following would you prefer.
A) Out Monday back Friday
B) Out Friday back Wed/Thurs
C) Out Tues back Mon.
D) a different option....please give!!

I don't want to get into a debate on whether there should be homework or how much, just how long to complete and whether a weekend should be included in the time allowed! Thanks very much!!!!

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 13-Oct-13 11:52:25

In year 3 DD had 5 pieces of homework per week each was to take 20mins so had to be in the next day, some you had all week for. In year 4 6 pieces for 20mins same mix of when due.
Now in year 5 7 pieces 30mins each same mix of when due in.
As someone who had an hour of homework every night and three hours worth on a Friday night I consider this more than reasonable.
All of this homework has been follow up from what has been taught in class.

TeenAndTween Sun 13-Oct-13 12:09:46

Out Tuesday, back Monday.

This means you have 6 nights to do it. You can get some done in the week, and finish what's left over at the w/e if needed.

Also means that kids who go to a different parent at the w/e can get it done with their resident parent.

KS2 children can often be doing a lot of external activities, so it is good to give as long as possible so they can do it properly without trying to fit it in between football and cubs.

redskyatnight Sun 13-Oct-13 13:27:44

I'd like the weekend included as well.

In Y3 DS had homework out on Thursday back on Tuesday
In Y4 he had homework out on Monday, back on Friday.

In the first option you can choose to use the weekend (or not if you are away for example).

In the second option in some weeks he would have activities on 3 of the 4 nights and it was really tough to get it all done.

Jellyandjam Sun 13-Oct-13 14:23:58

I would like the weekend but also a day or so after in case you have things on over the weekend. So ideally out Friday and in Tuesday/Wednesday. (This is how I used to do it for my class too).

MrsBazinga Sun 13-Oct-13 14:26:29

We get homework on a Tuesday, back following Monday.

We'd struggle if there wasn't a weekend included as some days we get home until after 6, then by the time we've eaten, showered etc and had a bit of family time, homework would be a pain ( though they do read every night).

hels71 Sun 13-Oct-13 14:35:00

Thanks for the comments.............

LadyEnglefield Sun 13-Oct-13 15:13:47

Year 3 DDs have

1 x literacy homework
2 x maths homework

Out Thursday back Tuesday

1 x talk homework

Out Tuesday back Thursday in preparation for Big Writing on Friday

14 spellings including 5 challenging ones (translucent/opaque etc) out Friday for spelling test on Monday.

dontknowwhat2callmyself Sun 13-Oct-13 16:06:28

Given out Friday back on Thursday works well for us. I think it's good to include weekdays and the weekend if possible as different times of the week suit different people.

sittinginthesun Sun 13-Oct-13 17:34:51

Out on Wednesday, due in Monday. Look at homework Wednesday/Thursday so child can ask teacher if they don't understand. Then the weekend to complete it.

Spellings always to hand in/test on a Monday. Currently have two children with tests on different days, and it's too much for my brain!

UniS Sun 13-Oct-13 19:02:03

out friday back thursday ( or wed)

2nd choice would be tues back mon.

Based on discussion withteacher last year we expect DS to do 2 blocks of about 20 mins, normally one each on maths and literacy. This week was 2 literacy, fine, thats his weak point, his maths is strong.

hels71 Sun 13-Oct-13 19:24:46

So generally speaking a weekend should be included? Thanks...that's what i wanted to hear....

simpson Sun 13-Oct-13 19:29:05

DS (yr4) gets his homework on Friday to be completed by the following Tuesday.

However, he does not have spellings. For spellings it would depend on when the test is.

FionaJT Sun 13-Oct-13 20:45:10

DD's school does B - out Friday, back Weds (and spelling/tables tests on the Weds). So we get the weekend and the early part of the week, and nothing on the later weeknights when all are getting more tired. Suits us.

spanieleyes Sun 13-Oct-13 20:53:37

If homework is given out on Tuesday and back the following Monday, how do you have time to mark it before the next day!!
Mine is given out on Thursday and back in on Monday-with special extensions to Tuesday if there is an exceptionally good excuse!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now