Teacher's strike - small question...

(80 Posts)
MerryMarigold Mon 07-Oct-13 14:54:49

Don't want to get into ins and outs (I agree with it).

Just wondering why we have had letters home from both my kids' schools saying there will probably be a strike on the 17th, but they don't know which classes will be open or not. It sounds like some classes will be open and some closed depending on whether the teacher is striking or not. Do the head teachers not know what unions their teachers are affiliated to? Are the teachers involved just letting the schools know that week or when?

Just wanting to plan really and wondering why the schools don't appear to know what's happening.

clam Fri 11-Oct-13 22:46:03

I was at work the week before last when the rest of the school was striking. I had only 20 of my class in. The missing ten were marked down as unauthorised absence by the office, I believe. We had a morning of 'proper' work - no DVDs in sight. Why would we? It was a normal working day, as far as I was concerned.

Retropear Fri 11-Oct-13 22:53:49

On a normal working day you wouldn't expect kids to be told they could have the day off if they wished.The last few weeks of summer term see DVDs so not a big presumption to make that a day with just a few skeleton staff and a handful of kids would involve the odd DVD.hmm

MerryMarigold Sat 12-Oct-13 08:20:39

I will let you know if Ds1 gets DVDs. Knowing his teacher, I very much doubt it! Agree with summer but they are all tired and various other stuff is happening.

Retro, I think what's happened is that the teacher was put on the spot and didn't really know what to day to the kids. I would ask the school if they have an official policy on siblings. let is know

clam Sat 12-Oct-13 08:37:57

Well, retro they shouldn't be bein told they can have the day off if they wish. If a teacher (and I'm talking primary here) is in school working as normal, then so should her class be.

Elibean Sat 12-Oct-13 09:17:12

We had our letters saying which classes are closed yesterday. Teachers have the right not to say till the morning of the strike, but in actual fact all of our teachers decided to let us have advance notice, which I appreciate.

Teachers, as I understand it, do not have to tell the Head which union they belong to. Some knew in advance they would or would not strike, others are struggling with the decision - which, to be fair, is probably a sign of their integrity: it's not a decision to be taken lightly, and many of these undecided-till-now ones are young.

dd1 is going to school. Her teacher belongs to a different union. dd2 is off, her class is closed. No problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now