What are the Year 3 benchmarks/ objectives in Maths in the UK curriculum?

(6 Posts)
MangoTiramisu Fri 04-Oct-13 01:13:05

That's OK since we are moving to England.

mrz Thu 03-Oct-13 07:06:54

As Euphemia says there is a different curriculum for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland the link is for the curriculum for England only.

MangoTiramisu Thu 03-Oct-13 00:15:21

mrz

Thank you very much. That is very very helpful.

Euphemia Wed 02-Oct-13 18:50:31

There is no such thing as a UK curriculum.

mrz Wed 02-Oct-13 18:45:24
MangoTiramisu Wed 02-Oct-13 11:18:05

My son is in Grade 2 and in the age group 7-8 years old. I'm not sure what this translates into in the UK, I think it is year 3. He will be leaving international school to start school in the UK in Autumn 2014. I think that is entering year 4.

I have been taking him to extra maths lessons because I am under the impression that the maths curriculum in the UK is more academic than where he is now. For example, my son is in year 3 and they do not teach times tables until year 4 and above.

I need to know what the benchmarks for year 3 are in the UK, or should I say, by the end of year 3, what should students know? I need to know this as my objective is to bring him in line and up to date, not get ahead with his maths. For example, he is learning his times tables now. After this I think they are moving him to fractions. I don't want him to get ahead of Y4 because I have other things I need him to do before we move back that I feel he is behind in e.g. year 3, not learning cursive yet!

Can anyone point me in the direction of the benchmarks for year 3, in maths. Does it vary between independent and state that much?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now