Another thrilling book band question re white/level 10!

(39 Posts)
tiredbutnotweary Tue 01-Oct-13 12:42:01

For mums of children reading white/level 10 books (or beyond if you can remember back to when they were reading at this level) - how quickly do your DC get through them?

Last night DD had a play date and did no reading homework shock wink grin

She squeezed in 1 chapter this morning. If we did this every night then it would take 4 nights for her to finish the book.

Which got me wondering - are other DC reading this sort of book more quickly (DD still likes to peruse the pictures, chat about things and laugh at the silly jokes, so to read all four chapters would probably take about half an hour+).

sheridand Wed 02-Oct-13 08:05:26

I wouldn't worry Cat, the response on Mumsnet is never indicative of the real state of reading in the classroom! In most Year 2 classes, the reading will range from White or ( rarely) above, down to Green. Children on Mumsnet are usually mini-genius! They read War and Peace by age 9. A week is about right, for most of the children on that level in the classes I know. At 6-7 years, most children far prefer being read to than otherwise. And it's still really valuable to do it.

Looksgoodingravy Wed 02-Oct-13 11:30:15

Thanks Juniper grin I was rushing my reply whilst at work and it just didn't look right - d'oh blush

Periwinkle007 Wed 02-Oct-13 14:36:05

Cat that is fine if that is how he reads. There isn't a right or wrong and a lot of children are reading white level before they are at the age they are technically aimed at.

I am surprised at people sharing the reading of school books though, I always thought school reading books were for the kids to read themselves. If she reads a home book then I might share it with her if she wants me to but a school book is for her to read. They go up a chart for every book they read so if I shared reading it with her she would read more books more quickly so would move up the chart quicker. She is very proud of herself when she finishes a book herself. We are co reading Iggy and Me at the moment but that is a home book not a school reading one.

beanandspud Wed 02-Oct-13 23:01:30

We aim for about 10-15mins at home so DS generally finishes a book every day or so. He reads to the teacher every day so, for example, tonight he had read 5/16 pages at school and read the rest at home.

When we've had longer or chapter books it takes a couple of nights, he is happy to get through his school reading book so that we can have Horrid Henry in bed grin

Cat98 Thu 03-Oct-13 07:53:13

Thanks. My ds must be the only kid not taken with horrid Henry. His school book this week is a horrid Henry book and he still is not motivated to read it - he can read it, it's not that it's too hard. He just faffs about and moans 'can we stop now' every other page. Argh!

Periwinkle007 Thu 03-Oct-13 09:48:30

if he doesn't like it Cat then I would try just writing in his book 'he isn't enjoying this book so read ..... instead' We had a book early in the term my daughter really didn't write so I wrote that and they wrote back that was absolutely fine.

Cat98 Thu 03-Oct-13 14:03:30

It's the same with most books though periwinkle - he likes it if I read to him, but the act of reading he just doesn't enjoy. It's the same whether its an easy book, hard book- whatever. He will do it, but it's clearly a chore. However there aren't many books he doesn't want to be read by dh or I. It's like he's just too lazy to read them himself!
Has anyone had a similar experience but its suddenly clicked and they've grown to enjoy reading independently? Or is he just going to prefer doing other things?

Sorry for the thread hijack, I will start a new one if that's better.

Periwinkle007 Thu 03-Oct-13 14:13:07

does he like non fiction? I don't think it is unusual, especially with boys, to not be as keen on reading themselves. How old is he? I don't think reading has to be fiction, it can be short stories, poetry, plays, non fiction, looking through a thesaurus. There will probably come a time when he will suddenly decide he wants to read a chapter book himself for fun but if he would prefer to read non fiction in the meantime then it won't do him any harm, it is still valid reading. Some of the Usborne books are brilliant. my 6 yr old loves the Usborne See Inside books.

Cat98 Thu 03-Oct-13 14:52:24

Thanks. yes, often a non fiction book or magazine captures his interest, and yes he loves them when we read them to him, but if he was flicking through one himself he'd probably look at the pictures then beg us to read it to him!

He's only 5 so I'm not worried about his reading ability, just a bit sad that he doesn't seem to enjoy reading and also a bit concerned that he won't continue to improve if we don't try and get him to do more. But I don't want to push it!

I think we'll just keep reading him a variety of books, keep doing his school reading at the pace he's comfortable with (ie. slow) and hope that one day he will discover enjoyment in books!

DS is on ORT level 9 and his teacher said 10 mins a night ideally, but less is fine if they are tired. It's more important that they enjoy it and it isn't a chore. The books are taking us 2-3 nights. His school move them up when they are ready, not when they've read all the books in the level.

Periwinkle007 Thu 03-Oct-13 20:34:55

If he is only 5 but getting Horrid Henry books as school books then he is fine and he won't lose his ability to read.

freetrait Thu 03-Oct-13 20:36:06

Cat, he's only 5!- my DS is nearly 7, there's a huge difference in terms of maturity and development. I think the 5 year olds who both can read fluently and and want to do so independently are far and few between- yes they do exist and certainly they do on mumsnet, but actually 5 is very young to be reading longish books by yourself, or any books really!

It has certainly come with age with DS, and I wouldn't push it. He sounds quite ahead for his age in terms of what he is reading, and I think sometimes they jump ahead in this but haven't got the stamina/motivation to actually keep reading to that level. At this point I think it's best to take a step back and read easier books that can be enjoyed. This time last year DS read quite a lot of Blue Bananas, the Happy Families series and other books that i could have said were "too easy for him". But they weren't, they were appropriate for what he needed and could enjoy at that moment. A few months later he made a leap forward in terms of stamina and was happy with short chapter books.

So.... I would say for his reading find what he can enjoy reading and do that. Take a step back re the actual reading "level" and "improving", that can wait.

sheridand Thu 03-Oct-13 20:40:29

Cat, he is nigh on the same as my DS ( only just turned 6) and he's not keen on the effort and tedium involved either. For what it's worth, i've just come back from a parents evening in which they said it was fine to back off and read the Hayes manual for a Kawasaki Ninja if that's what he wanted. His inference, understanding and comprehension are excellent, he's just young, and bored of the books.

Just back right off and read for fun. I find non-fiction is the way to go.

simpson Thu 03-Oct-13 21:05:03

My DD (yr1) is very strong in reading but she prefers to read to herself as she can read quicker (her words) I do listen to her read out loud every day (and her older brother).

The book she got this week was 62 pages long and unfortunately she left her book bag at school a couple of times this week so we were not going to finish her book by tomorrow (when they are changed) so I let her finish it by herself. It would normally take us a week (maybe slightly less) with her reading it out loud to me every night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now