What do you do about poo? The question you should ask first about a school

(3 Posts)
NutcrackerFairy Wed 02-Oct-13 23:12:03

Agree HerbPlot

I have started one of those threads.

DS has just started reception and is soling himself frequently.

School not very proactive - no continence policy, no access to school nurse, no initial advice as to school's role and responsibilities and mine as parent...

But I can see that his class teachers are trying to help DS over his fears of using toilet at school and are trying to keep me informed of events.

However I agree that this is something I could have, should have talked about with school initially as then I would have had a better idea of what to expect and how I can could orientate DS to school's toileting routines and procedures, i.e when toilet breaks are held, if he needs to go outside of these official times how does he do so, where are the toilets, etc.

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Mon 30-Sep-13 10:09:44

I asked. Apparently they have spare clothes, and if things get desperate they pop them in their PE kit. DS hasn't had to find out the hard way yet, I'm pleased to say, but at least I know he'll be dealt with sensitively if it becomes necessary.

HerbPlot Mon 30-Sep-13 10:06:36

Every year, particularly at this point in the year, there are threads about children soiling and wetting themselves in reception. Some are really very distressing and it is clear that every school seems to have a different approach to dealing with these issues - even though there is guidance and legislation in this area.
I always think that when parents are choosing a school this is genuinely one of the most important and revealing questions to ask - so if you are doing the rounds please do so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now