Speech marks and commas homework, argh!

(68 Posts)
amidaiwish Sun 29-Sep-13 08:49:00

Homework help!!
Where would you put the comma in this sentence, in or out of the speech marks?

"I am going to the park", said Peter
Or
"I am going to the park," said Peter

Thanks!

ICameOnTheJitney Sun 29-Sep-13 08:55:34

It depends what's gone before and what's coming after though....

"I'm going to the park." said Peter. Seems more correct to me. His sentence needs it's own punctuation.

amidaiwish Sun 29-Sep-13 08:58:44

Nothing before or after. She's been given a list of sentences. DD has to put the comma to separate the speaker's words from the sentence.

CecilyP Sun 29-Sep-13 08:58:49

It's the first one, amidaiwish. Sorry, Icame, but what you have said is wrong; it definitely doesn't need a full stop as it is all one sentence.

amidaiwish Sun 29-Sep-13 08:59:58

I do agree with you though, it's more of a full stop than a comma. But you would put it inside the speech marks. That's what I thought but a look on google says it goes outside in UK and inside in US. Guess either is ok?

donnie Sun 29-Sep-13 09:02:32

There is no comma required.

"I am going to the park" said Peter

is the correct version.

goingmadinthecountry Sun 29-Sep-13 09:03:34

Comma goes inside speech marks. Google is telling you lies.

Hawkmoth Sun 29-Sep-13 09:04:04

Second one.

clam Sun 29-Sep-13 09:05:03

The second one is correct. The comma goes before the speech mark, and is a comma rather than a full stop as 'said Peter' is still to come.

amidaiwish Sun 29-Sep-13 09:05:18

But the instructions on her worksheet state
We put speech marks around whatever is said in a sentence. The speaker's first word always begins with a capital letter. A comma separates the speaker's words from the rest of he sentence.
I'm confused despite my GCSE A and this is a 7 year old's homework. blush

Shodan Sun 29-Sep-13 09:05:19

Yes, definitely comma inside the speech marks.

pozzled Sun 29-Sep-13 09:07:07

Yes, comma inside the speech marks. There is always some form of punctuation before closing speech marks. Full stop could be used if it were the end of the sentence:
Peter said "I am going to the park."
In the example in the OP, though, the sentence has nor finished so needs a comma.

CecilyP Sun 29-Sep-13 09:07:51

Should add that if there is no more to it, there should be a full stop after Peter. If the entire thing had just said, 'I am going to the shop' (without the 'said Peter') then there would be a full stop within the speech marks.

tiggytape Sun 29-Sep-13 09:14:17

"I am going to the park," said Peter

is correct. It wouldn't be a full stop after park because it isn't the end of the senence yet. It is the end of Peter's sentence but the writer isn't Peter. The writer is using longer sentences to report what Peter had said.

You cannot have a '99' (closed speech marks) without some form of punctuation directly before it. Often it will be a comma but it may also be a question mark etc.

eg "Why do I have to go to the park?" asked Peter

which would also be correct.

amidaiwish Sun 29-Sep-13 09:15:43

thanks all
will get DD to move the commas
she is mad, she had already put them inside, then i checked and got her to move them outside, then it didn't look right and i asked you lot. eek
for reference this site led me astray angry
grammar monster]

englishteacher78 Sun 29-Sep-13 09:15:44

Second option.
That is how it is done. Punctuation is necessary before the closure of the speech marks. The 'said Peter' is part of the original sentence not a sentence on its own.

Suzieismyname Sun 29-Sep-13 09:16:13

First one.

tiggytape Sun 29-Sep-13 09:17:55

It isn't a matter of personal choice - there is only one correct answer and it is the second one. The comma must go inside the speech marks directly before they close.

wanderings Sun 29-Sep-13 09:23:28

Just don't write it the way the French do:

- I am going to the park, said Peter.

OR

Je vais au parc, dit Pierre.

The French put a dash at the beginning of the line to show speech, but then they don't use quotes, not even when the person has finished speaking!

CecilyP Sun 29-Sep-13 09:23:55

No, Shodan and pozzled, you are also wrong; in that simple sentence the comma comes after the speech marks. The only way the comma would be in the speech marks would be if it was something like;

'I am going to the park,' said Peter, 'and I am going this minute.'

I agree, amidiawish. that it is difficult for a 7 year old to get to grips with. And it obviously hasn't been taught properly in class if you have been saddled with the homework. (Not so much a 7 year old's homework but a 7 year old's mum's homework!) The worksheet is right though not as helpful, eg giving examples, as it might have been.

clam Sun 29-Sep-13 09:24:13

Bit shock as to how many people don't know this and are suggesting the first option, to be honest!

Mumzy Sun 29-Sep-13 09:28:07

2nd as the comma seperates the spoken words from non spoken ones and commas be within speech marks HTH

Shodan Sun 29-Sep-13 09:35:15

Sorry, CecilyP, but you're wrong.

The second one is correct, as tiggytape and englishteacher et al. have said.

amidaiwish Sun 29-Sep-13 09:37:32

the commas are now back INSIDE the speech marks. That looks right to me so will go with that . phew. who knew it would be so complicated. You're right CecilyP a few examples would have been helpful. there are a lot of non english parents in the class, i am surprised everyone hasn't been on email about this the whole weekend!

Euphemia Sun 29-Sep-13 09:44:15

Comma inside the speech marks, definitely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now