What age/ORT level were your DC before they started reading chapter books for fun?

(30 Posts)
Noomininoo Sat 28-Sep-13 22:55:13

I have a very reluctant reader in my 6yo DD1 & I want to try & get her to read more out of school for fun (at the moment it's a struggle just to get her to read her weekly school book). I'm looking therefore for some recommendations for books that might get her more interested in reading.

I know Horrid Henry & Rainbow Magic books are supposed to be quite good but what ORT level do you need to be to be able to read these? I'm worried that if I pitch it wrong I'll put her off reading even more so I'm looking for something that will be relatively easy for her to start off with to build a bit of confidence before moving onto some more challenging stuff.

My DD1 is on ORT10.

hopingforbest Mon 30-Sep-13 00:55:13

Also, you could try really good dramatised audio books (famous fives or whatever, BBC ones often very good). These might fire her imagination and she'll want to read the books herself just to get more of the same.

missinglalaland Tue 01-Oct-13 09:55:49

It was year 3 when my daughter started reading chapter books on her own and enjoying them. She had been a "free reader" for at least a year before that, but it was all still hard work.

I think easy, flattering books are the way to go. Build up confidence! They soon look for more and more as they feel ready.

A good starter series is the "Magic Treehouse" series of books by Mary Pope Osborne. They look like proper chapter books but have big type as well as pictures now and then. There is an adventure in every book and a mystery that slowly unravels as you read the series.

An oldie but a goodie is "The Boxcar Children" by Gertrude Chandler Warner. She went on to write a series, but the first is the best, imo. It looks like a proper chapter book with few pictures and smallish type, but really it's a bit of a cheat! A school teacher wrote it in 1924 for her students. She was careful to choose simple words that most children would already know by sight. The book looks difficult but a beginner reader can handle it. The story is a thrilling tale of 4 orphans making their way on their own and eventually being reunited with their kindly grandfather in the end. Generations of Americans remember this as the first "real" book they ever read.

sittinginthesun Tue 01-Oct-13 10:58:11

DS2 is Year 2, and reading pretty much anything (technically a "free reader" at our school, and has a choice of either chapter books, or top level scheme books, and usually chooses Ruby level non fiction scheme books).

He does read Jeremy Strong, but prefer to read the Beano. My eldest was the same - enjoyed non fiction history books, and didn't really enjoy non fiction until year 3.

I wouldn't push it, tbh. Just make sure there are lots of books around.

soorploom Tue 01-Oct-13 21:04:42

try oxford reading tree Biff, Chip and Kipper but as older children on adventures. still lots of pictures so not too scary in terms of chapters.
I leave books by ds's bed and he thinks he's being sneaky reading them with a torch after lights out. he gets quite excited if it is a good book and will come and offer to read it to me. bless.

Tiggles Wed 02-Oct-13 11:09:20

DS2 is in year 2 (level above lime) he has just really started reading chapter books like Beast Quest (boys Rainbow fairies equivalent?) for fun. He has been capable of reading them for a while but much preferred dipping in and out of non-fiction books.
I think he started the chapter Early Readers when he was around Orange/Purple type levels, but read them with me, not off his own back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now