Falkner House - too rich/posh for the ordinary (single digit) millionaires?

(31 Posts)
curryspider Wed 25-Sep-13 14:37:55

I have recently heard from several mums that they pulled their daughters out of falkner house for no other reason other than the amount of wealth of other families in their daughters' classes. Their daughters felt uncomfortable so to speak. These are coming from local, ordinarily wealthy families (living in £1m-£3m houses). Is this true? We are thinking of starting our little girl there for its academic reputation only, but certainly wouldn't want to put her in an enviornment where one might feel vastly financially inferior and out of place. Wouldn't do any child any good. Any first hand experience greatly appreciated....

Please please - no sarcasm about rich/super rich/materialism, this is a real post and I am just raising a valid point regarding the south ken area's private schools...

josuk Mon 10-Feb-14 10:38:59

Did you have a better experience at FH? Was your DD2's co-ed better compared to G and FH?

rainraingoAWAYNEVERCOMEBACK Mon 10-Feb-14 12:36:47

I think this will be an issue in any fee paying school though.

I wonder if pulling DC out says more about the parents and their insecurities than the actual children they are pulling.

I really hope I can instill a sense of worth into my DC that makes them know they can hold their own with no matter who they encounter in their lives and whatever their wealth, status and position.

I wouldn't want them to sneer at wealth either or assume because people have money they do not also have Christian values and so on.

I really hope I can encourage my DC to take each person on their own merit regardless of whether they have come to school chauffeur driven in rolls or in dads rubbish truck.

babybarrister Mon 10-Feb-14 17:00:01

Christian values? What about the rest of us? We are not savages you know ..

rainraingoAWAYNEVERCOMEBACK Mon 10-Feb-14 18:56:58

Agree Baby re values, I was responding in kind to poster inferring rich people were without any values and so on!

wandymum Mon 10-Feb-14 20:49:51

The head of FH certainly doesn't favour the wealthy. In fact, I know that she turns down extravagant gifts offered by the mega-rich parents.

Also it is a family owned school so why would the head need to kow-tow to the rich? The school is oversubscribed and very profitable.

GirlInASwing Tue 11-Feb-14 19:55:38

DD is in Glendower and I haven't spotted anyone being chauffered to school; whilst a few families might be very well off, most strike me as just normal, local people, which is what we were looking for. We've been very pleased with the school, and DD is very happy there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now