Teachers do not adhere to Statemented 1 to 1 support, do not believe in sub-levels, make APP assessments up....How much of what parents are told by schools about teaching is a box ticking exercise?

(1003 Posts)
Regards Tue 24-Sep-13 14:05:51

Following on from this thread:
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/1859219-Im-a-teacher-and-happy-to-answer-any-questions

and this:
community.tes.co.uk/tes_primary/f/36/t/381051.aspx?pi2132219857=1

I realised I was incredibly gullible when my DC first started school. What exactly should we believe concerning what the teachers tell us, how much is a PR job to cover up the ugly truth?

Trigglesx Sat 28-Sep-13 13:33:14

no nenny - i just think the needs of ALL individual children need to be met and not just the individual children of the noisiest parents.

Let's be clear. If those parents didn't have to fight for every little damn thing for their children, maybe it wouldn't be that more support goes to the children of the "noisiest parents." Maybe ALL the children would get the help they need.

Maybe those noisy parents that succeed in getting support for their children will highlight an issue so that more children in their area receive better support. Are parents just supposed to "not say anything" simply because another parent is not willing enough or informed enough to stand up to the school or the LA? hmm

zzzzz Sat 28-Sep-13 13:33:21

It is not noisy/loud/obsessive/selfish/pushy or rude to want your child to receive the support written into their statement, any more than it would be for you to want the drugs itemised on a prescription to be filled accurately.

stripeyslippers Sat 28-Sep-13 14:23:25

There are several special schools available where the model is full time 1:1 for each and every child.

Generally, the model works well, and the children there make more progress (real, well documented progress, not hothoused tutored rote learning that cannot e applied elsewhere) than was ever expected from them at previous educational establishments.

Full time 1:1 does not mean full time dependence, btw, and it is very and narrow minded (although typical of most ms teachers, ime) to think it does.

This thread is not accepting new messages.