primary schools - your ideal scenario

(85 Posts)

Mine would be home-schooling my dd(5) 2 days a week, so she can concentrate on doing the stuff she loves (and I miss her), and school the other 3 days. My ideal school would have one teacher per 8 children and the classes would be mixed ages and based on what the children were interested in.
I would also like the 3 days she does do at school to offer cover from 8 - 6 with imaginative and creative after-school clubs. I would also like the schools to interact with the wider community and help with litter clearing/weeding/fundraising.
The teaching staff would all earn at least c£50k per year and parents would be encouraged to come into the school and help out as required.
Academic success wouldn't be judged on exam results but on all round decent citizenship and usefulness to society.

What about you?

Sorry hardboiled I should have made it clearer. I was just interested in what kind of school people would want for their children if they could have any kind of school in the world. My daughter has just started in Y1 and the fact that she is now part of a system that I have no control over freaks me out. This is why I fantasise about home schooling and such like.
Thanks everyone for joining in though - I've really enjoyed your posts smile

hardboiled Wed 25-Sep-13 15:13:30

I guess I just get all realistic and grumpy when one discusses the ideal primary school which I read as "what would be the ideal primary education in the UK" ...something that affects EVERYONE. As opposed to what mi ideal dinner party would be... something that affects ONLY ME. So yes, I missed the point that this was about a personal fantasy and F the rest of the world. I just can't think of education that way. So there, I apologize for not getting what the game was about.

BTW, with 8, 10, even 12 kids per class, pray lucky when it comes to your child finding good friends, with common interests, with matching personalities... cause you've just reduced the odds.

In retrospect, maybe the compulsory owls should go.

WidowWadman Tue 24-Sep-13 20:41:24

Yes - it's a game, but what's wrong with thinking it through? Like, e.g. going back to your fantasy dinner party, thinking through how what combination of guests may lead to more or less fun or potential disaster?

ZutAlorsDidier Tue 24-Sep-13 20:30:52

"fantasy dinner parties don't usually have an impact on others" - unlike fantasy schools, which your children are now forced to go to, and let me guess, one of them needs firm boundaries and isn't good with open ended stuff and the other has asthma and pollen allergies and won't like all this outdoor stuff. WTF. IT'S A GAME.

WidowWadman Tue 24-Sep-13 19:48:33

merrymouse - fantasy dinner parties don't usually have an impact on others, unless you schedule it at the same time as someone else's fantasy dinner party and you both want Einstein.

Fantasy ideal schools don't work that way though, I think, as the scenario is bigger.

I also don't get what's so wrong about considering not only benefits but also drawbacks of one's fantasy.

CruCru Tue 24-Sep-13 16:27:52

Also, the school would be right around the corner from my house.

merrymouse Tue 24-Sep-13 16:21:41

As this is a fantasy thread it is equal opportunities. You can fantasise about spending a couple of days a week with your children whether you are a cleaner, a banker or a SAHM, or indeed sending them to boarding school from age 4. I imagine most people have fantasised about doing both at various times.

ZutAlorsDidier Tue 24-Sep-13 16:13:41

I find it impossible to imagine my child being taught by someone whose name is not Mrs Johnson* because right now her teacher is called Mrs Johnson.

*name changed. [head explodes]

chocoluvva Tue 24-Sep-13 16:11:27

My last post referred to HardBoiled.

chocoluvva Tue 24-Sep-13 16:10:39

That's the point of the thread! "ideal scenario"

merrymouse Tue 24-Sep-13 16:10:31

I can only assume that if you started a thread about fantasy dinner party guests and included Einstein and Shakespeare some people wouldn't be able to get over the fact that they were dead.

hardboiled Tue 24-Sep-13 16:07:38

So basically your ideal would be that every mother of a primary child in the uk gets two days off a week cause the ideal is that school is three days only and that includes cleaners, supermarket cashiers, nurses, admin assistants, teachers... everyone who couldn't pay for such amount of childcare time.
Well yes, I guess that is what we call a fantasy.

chocoluvva Tue 24-Sep-13 16:01:20

I agree wholeheartedly with "emphasis on being kind to each other"

The primary school my two went to was considered to be a good school, but the senior staff could not have been described as kind.

(Sigh) I also have to work full-time - if I didn't this wouldn't be my ideal or fantasy.

hardboiled Tue 24-Sep-13 14:37:42

Mine would be home-schooling my dd(5) 2 days a week, so she can concentrate on doing the stuff she loves (and I miss her), and school the other 3 days.

Ahhhhh [sigh ] How exceedingly lovely are the fantasies of the bourgeois. Unfortunately, most people have to work for a living and full days at school are a life saver for them.

CruCru Tue 24-Sep-13 13:40:31

Quite a lot of what some of you would like reflects Montessori principles.

I'd like

- no uniforms
- lots of outside playtime with things like climbing frames etc
- PE not just to be bloody ball games
- emphasis on being kind to each other.

EmmelineGoulden Tue 24-Sep-13 12:52:03

I mean, even without going to your school.

EmmelineGoulden Tue 24-Sep-13 12:51:30

Can I have a time turner? That would make motherhood sooo much better...

merrymouse Tue 24-Sep-13 12:33:35

(Steiner is nothing like Summerhill - they have almost nothing in common and home-ed these days can be anything you want)

Anyway, my ideal primary school would have lovely teachers who loved teaching (like the majority of teachers I have encountered), who would have some kind of time turner so that they could both be part-time and not have to job share. They would have plenty of qualified staff in school so that the teachers could say no to parent helpers if they weren't that helpful. Classes would be no more than 20, and as this is an imaginary school, the teacher would be able to provide enough attention to each child regardless of child's needs/available time. (Remember, teacher has time turner).

No SATS/testing as they seem to waste so much time. Everybody would just trust what the teacher said about each child (and they would obviously be able to pass on information in a way that enabled this.)

All classrooms would be very well organised and have plenty of space and light, while not having any noise problems.

Delicious school lunches served at tables with table cloths, plates, flowers and proper cutlery, with plenty of time to eat, and not too noisy.

The PTA would organise social events for parents and children, but no body would have to feel guilty about not being able to contribute during the working week. No fundraising necessary.

No computers in infants.

No special 'days' (e.g. world book day) or 'weeks' - just a good teacher and children having fun learning with sufficient resources in a calm, pleasant environment.

(As parents also have time turners, no need to offer extended hours).

friday16 Tue 24-Sep-13 11:35:35

That a few grand of compensation is of differential value depending on how affluent you are, and the getting of that compensation is seen in different ways in different social classes. If you can afford twenty grand a year in school fees, grubbing around in court in order to get a couple of grand in compensation is neither a worthwhile use of your time, nor something you'd want your friends to know about.

Theas18 Tue 24-Sep-13 11:23:55

Of course anyone can sue anyone but if you have insurance in place then the financial motivation to sue is less I would think? Or maybe that's just my " reasonableness" showing through- If I have the financial support from insurance,if say, my child needs if say they loose a tooth and need implants via the insurance why would I sue the school?

I do think this is an issue in how are kids are educated ( my kids are at state school BTW ). I'd want my kids at a school where climbing trees/throwing snowballs, and maybe even skidding on the ice wasn't forbidden.

EmmelineGoulden Tue 24-Sep-13 11:08:44

And what do you think that reason is friday?

friday16 Tue 24-Sep-13 10:44:16

You're right, Emmeline, that there is nothing to stop people from bringing actions against independent schools.

However, there's a reason why the adverts for accident lawyers are in tabloid newspapers and ad breaks on ITV4 and not in the Guardian.

EmmelineGoulden Tue 24-Sep-13 10:30:28

Theas18 - There's nothing stopping you suing your independent school if you think they were negligent and some parents do, you just don't hear about it quite so much. The individual insurance your school insists on for pupils doesn't change their liability as an institution. If you want to change the culture of suing at the drop of a hat (and I'm not sure how much of a culture of that we really have) it's our legal system and its funding you need to change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now