primary schools - your ideal scenario

(85 Posts)

Mine would be home-schooling my dd(5) 2 days a week, so she can concentrate on doing the stuff she loves (and I miss her), and school the other 3 days. My ideal school would have one teacher per 8 children and the classes would be mixed ages and based on what the children were interested in.
I would also like the 3 days she does do at school to offer cover from 8 - 6 with imaginative and creative after-school clubs. I would also like the schools to interact with the wider community and help with litter clearing/weeding/fundraising.
The teaching staff would all earn at least c£50k per year and parents would be encouraged to come into the school and help out as required.
Academic success wouldn't be judged on exam results but on all round decent citizenship and usefulness to society.

What about you?

chocoluvva Tue 24-Sep-13 16:11:27

My last post referred to HardBoiled.

ZutAlorsDidier Tue 24-Sep-13 16:13:41

I find it impossible to imagine my child being taught by someone whose name is not Mrs Johnson* because right now her teacher is called Mrs Johnson.

*name changed. [head explodes]

merrymouse Tue 24-Sep-13 16:21:41

As this is a fantasy thread it is equal opportunities. You can fantasise about spending a couple of days a week with your children whether you are a cleaner, a banker or a SAHM, or indeed sending them to boarding school from age 4. I imagine most people have fantasised about doing both at various times.

CruCru Tue 24-Sep-13 16:27:52

Also, the school would be right around the corner from my house.

WidowWadman Tue 24-Sep-13 19:48:33

merrymouse - fantasy dinner parties don't usually have an impact on others, unless you schedule it at the same time as someone else's fantasy dinner party and you both want Einstein.

Fantasy ideal schools don't work that way though, I think, as the scenario is bigger.

I also don't get what's so wrong about considering not only benefits but also drawbacks of one's fantasy.

ZutAlorsDidier Tue 24-Sep-13 20:30:52

"fantasy dinner parties don't usually have an impact on others" - unlike fantasy schools, which your children are now forced to go to, and let me guess, one of them needs firm boundaries and isn't good with open ended stuff and the other has asthma and pollen allergies and won't like all this outdoor stuff. WTF. IT'S A GAME.

WidowWadman Tue 24-Sep-13 20:41:24

Yes - it's a game, but what's wrong with thinking it through? Like, e.g. going back to your fantasy dinner party, thinking through how what combination of guests may lead to more or less fun or potential disaster?

In retrospect, maybe the compulsory owls should go.

hardboiled Wed 25-Sep-13 15:13:30

I guess I just get all realistic and grumpy when one discusses the ideal primary school which I read as "what would be the ideal primary education in the UK" ...something that affects EVERYONE. As opposed to what mi ideal dinner party would be... something that affects ONLY ME. So yes, I missed the point that this was about a personal fantasy and F the rest of the world. I just can't think of education that way. So there, I apologize for not getting what the game was about.

BTW, with 8, 10, even 12 kids per class, pray lucky when it comes to your child finding good friends, with common interests, with matching personalities... cause you've just reduced the odds.

Sorry hardboiled I should have made it clearer. I was just interested in what kind of school people would want for their children if they could have any kind of school in the world. My daughter has just started in Y1 and the fact that she is now part of a system that I have no control over freaks me out. This is why I fantasise about home schooling and such like.
Thanks everyone for joining in though - I've really enjoyed your posts smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now