I'm a teacher and happy to answer any questions

(316 Posts)
DellaF83 Sat 21-Sep-13 02:46:47

Hi, I'm an experienced primary school teacher and happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

mykingdomforasleep Sat 21-Sep-13 02:54:04

Great - my son is 3 and interested in letters. My natural reaction is to do ABC etc how I learnt a looong time ago and 'a is for apple' etc but I am sure this is wrong, wrong, wrong due to phonics now so how should I approach this? I was a very very early reader so don't remember how I learnt at all. Thanks!

Fairyloo Sat 21-Sep-13 02:59:57

Do you enjoy working 9-3 and your long summer holidays?

(Joke!!!!)

Campaspe Sat 21-Sep-13 07:47:11

Hi Della, that is a kind offer. You might find you are inundated! I have a question: what should a child be able to do in terms of English and Maths to reach the expected level at the end of year 2?

Euphemia Sat 21-Sep-13 07:47:49

How do I teach ICT to a class of 23 with two ancient PCs running Windows 2003?

grin

Pizzahutlover Sat 21-Sep-13 12:27:29

Thats nice of you della

Wellthen Sat 21-Sep-13 18:17:29

Can you think of a geunine question where the answer isn't 'google it' or 'ask your child's teacher'?

TeenAndTween Sat 21-Sep-13 18:26:25

In your experience, what percentage of just-turned-9 year olds are unable to walk down stairs 'adult style' without holding onto a bannister? (genuine question).

NationMcKinley Sat 21-Sep-13 18:30:29

Evening! What's the best way to help a 6.5 year old learn spellings? He's vg at reading - was free reading half way through year 1 - but is finding spellings quite tricky. Obv don't want him getting bored with the constant repetition. Thanks! smile

CaptainSweatPants Sat 21-Sep-13 18:33:17

Are you striking?!

insanityscratching Sat 21-Sep-13 19:02:11

Do you find the parent of a child with SEN a pita when they want to advise you on how to get the best from their child? Are you happy to work in partnership with them? Do you write SMART ieps from scratch or do you get them from the bank resources online? How often do you think ieps should be reviewed?

nextphase Sat 21-Sep-13 19:24:11

How many kids can actually read or write when they start reception?
When you send homework, how much parental involvement do you expect (again, reception)?
e.g. we've just had home write out a line of 'a's. I let him try the first few, but then started giving him dots to join, and also guiding his hand sometimes. Was I too involved? ie teacher can't actually see what he can do?

YoureBeingADick Sat 21-Sep-13 19:27:56

brave della! grin Good luck smile

ChipAndSpud Sat 21-Sep-13 19:29:18

What advice would you give to parents on how to prepare their children for starting school?

My DS is only 21 months, but school is all my friends with similar aged children talk about!

YoniMontana Sat 21-Sep-13 19:31:51

Should you teach your children to read before they begin primary school?

CPtart Sat 21-Sep-13 19:35:44

What one piece of advice would you give the parents of a child about to begin year six??

InkleWinkle Sat 21-Sep-13 19:37:11

Are you ever going to come back to this thread?

ClayDavis Sat 21-Sep-13 19:42:20

What were you thinking when you decided to start this thread?

Good luck OP.

lalalonglegs Sat 21-Sep-13 19:49:35

Della - you were up very late when you posted possibly after a enjoyable night out - are you regretting your offer now smile?

exoticfruits Sat 21-Sep-13 19:55:29

I expect OP has had second thoughts!

27cats Sat 21-Sep-13 20:01:22

How much do Reception class teachers actually use the Learning Journey type information that Early Years practitioners like myself forward onto them? My impression is that their usefulness is very limited and we are worrying ourselves over them unnecessarily, but that no-one would actually come out and admit it!

mrz Sat 21-Sep-13 20:11:53

I can answer that one 27cats ... not at all. I really don't have time to read 30 Learning Journeys I need a brief summary with any significant information clearly highlighted.

mrz Sat 21-Sep-13 20:14:22

and I don't really need to see what they were doing up to 5 terms ago just what they can do now smile

Do the children who have an statement with 1:1 specified have that person with them for all of those allocated hours, or do you utilise the extra person in your classroom to help you manage the difficult children who you believe are in more need of support or who have parents who have not shouted so loud?

27cats Sat 21-Sep-13 20:33:45

Thanks mrz, suspected as much. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now