How much notice do you usually get from your childs school if they need a costume/something other than school uniform?

(22 Posts)
Adikia Fri 20-Sep-13 11:45:11

Just wondering as DD has to wear a costume to school next week (European Day of Languages) and I was only told yesterday, and I was only told about today being Jeans for genes day on monday.

Just wondering if a weeks notice is about average?

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 20-Sep-13 11:51:13

I think it depends how complicated it is. A few days for jeans is fine as most kids will have something. More complicated costumes we normally get a couple of weeks notice.

redskyatnight Fri 20-Sep-13 11:52:46

Anything that requires any sort of effort (e.g. costume for "Roman" day we get a week or 2). If it's something that the child might reasonably be expected to have already (e..g own clothes, wear sports stuff) it's normally a day or 2.

Adikia Fri 20-Sep-13 12:44:21

Ah damn, was hoping it was just because its September and they hadn't had time to give us more notice.

I don't mind own clothes day, although convincing DD to wear jeans was hard work (she prefers skirts and pretty dresses) but costumes are a pain.

2cats2many Fri 20-Sep-13 12:45:29

Normally a week. Sometimes less sometimes more.

Idespair Fri 20-Sep-13 12:46:29

At least a fortnight usually although sometime it's as little as a week.

SilverBellsandCockleShells Fri 20-Sep-13 12:55:31

We got told last Thursday that they would have to go in dressed as a Roald Dahl character this Wednesday. I have a theory it is so as not to give people enough time to order a costume off the internet!

timeforahaircut Fri 20-Sep-13 13:01:38

We're told by email at the end of the previous term what and when any dress-ups will be. I gather that's not the norm for most schools though. They also give a fairly wide range of options so you shouldn't have to go out and buy something. Usually only 1 per term max.

SavoyCabbage Fri 20-Sep-13 13:03:14

We were told last Monday that we needed stuff for the Wednesday.

OldBeanbagz Fri 20-Sep-13 13:06:03

Normally a week though sometimes it's a little more.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 20-Sep-13 13:22:34

48 hours for jeans for genes. About a week for costumes. Makes me very grumpy as ExH and are divorced he will not do anything and I often works nights and weekends.

noramum Fri 20-Sep-13 14:30:31

We get such days in our term-diary which comes in the first week of a new term.

In addition to dress up we have spotty day, breast cancer ( pink ), Red Nose Day ( red) and Marie Curie (yellow).

It can be anything from a week to "We told the kids yesterday afternoon" when you turn up without because your dc forgot to tell you until they were lining up to go into class

I'd be grateful to get a week every time!

Oh and messages from DD1 like "It's dial day tomorrow" confused are also considered the norm. I eventually worked out it was "Dress up for Roald Dahl day" when turning up the following morning. <sigh>

mumtobealloveragain Fri 20-Sep-13 18:51:08

OP - I was given a weeks notice yesterday for "Spanish Day" too! Come dressed all in yellow or red (we have nothing yellow or red) or a Spanish Costume.

I'm happy with shortish notice as long as I have time to get to the shops and buy something, borrow something or at least find, order and receive from Ebay. I think 2 weeks would be far more reasonable than 1 week!

CaterpillarCara Fri 20-Sep-13 19:36:30

Where my children attend - at the start of the academic year for most things, around 2 -3 weeks ahead otherwise. Usually they ask for a "bit" of something e.g. a bit of green, a bit of blue. Have stocked up on loads of different coloured ribbons and can cover most things that way. Bit French? Red, white, blue ribbon.? St Patricks? Green, orange, white ribbons, etc. DD gets them in her hair, DS pinned to his blazer.

VerySmallSqueak Fri 20-Sep-13 19:39:31

2 or 3 weeks.

Then I forget till the night before blush

minidipper Fri 20-Sep-13 19:40:17

The record was five minutes. 'Mum I have to be a Roman soldier today for my assembly,' as we walked out the door.
What assembly? What Roman soldier?
One wrecked pillow case and wrecked Next leather belt later...

VerySmallSqueak Fri 20-Sep-13 19:42:45

Bloody hell minidipper.
Now that is an inspired quick fix!

Adikia Sat 21-Sep-13 20:28:22

Good plan Caterpillar I shall go buy some ribbons for just in case.

My mum has sorted the costume for me, DD went over for the afternoon and mentioned it to her, so in the space of a few hours Mum has looked through photos with DD, got her to choose a country and made a beautiful dress, petticoat and apron thing, complete with tiny embroidered flowers!
How I wish I had inherited even a little of my Mums dress-making skills!

sparkle12mar08 Sat 21-Sep-13 21:51:12

I don't do costumes and dress up and stuff, and I loathe this passing the buck to parents. I do it with bad grace and only because I don't want ds to be the odd one out, but I hate the whole bloody waste of time and energy!

Mamafratelli Sat 21-Sep-13 22:05:13

Usually a "reminder" text 24 hours before, which is actually the first anyone has heard of it. My only complaint so far in a lovely school so shouldn't complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now