DS having tantrums after school - how can I help him?

(29 Posts)
notjustamummythankyou Thu 19-Sep-13 20:00:31

Evening all. My DS started school this year and he's doing really well. He's settled in quickly, is lucky enough to have good friends in his class he knows already, and seems to be making new friends easily.

I expected him to be tired after school, but never anticipated how exhausted he would be. He goes to a childminder after school 3 days a week and I pick him up after work at about 4.15pm. He's going from being hyperactive (always a sign off impending exhaustion) to total melt down in minutes. I try to fend it off with snacks and drinks and to keep him going, but he's finding it so hard.

Tiredness is one thing, but this week DS has started to scream and shout over the littlest of things, and has lashed out - something he has never done before. I am finding it quite difficult remaining patient and understanding, especially with a younger DD who is also settling in to a new childcare setting!

DS only turned 4 in August, so is one of the very youngest. He's always been one for getting tired quickly and, in fact, only fully dropped his naps at the beginning of the summer. Has anyone been in the same situation, and how did you cope with it? Any tips? Thanks!

notjustamummythankyou Sun 22-Sep-13 09:41:46

OP here - thank you all for your comments. It's really nice to know that I'm not alone here. (Bit confused about the withdrawn comment - what was that all about?!)

Anyhoo, we had a much better Friday too. I took some snacks in for the journey home, and just let him be, really. I do wonder whether three days at the childminder with three other children (all the childminder's own) is frying his brain a bit. There's not much I can do about that, but I will flag up to her that he seems to be needing a bit of down time after school.

As hoping says, this too shall pass.

In the meantime, here's some wine for us all! grin

It was spam not. It's everywhere.

notjustamummythankyou Sun 22-Sep-13 10:35:46

Just seen it on site stuff, sparkling. Thanks!

mummy1973 Sun 22-Sep-13 21:06:29

So familiar...my two were just like this. Snacks, time on own and early tea and bed. Still do this some days and they are 6 and 9. Think I am better at sensing the tiredness and head it off at the pass now! 6 yr old often asleep by 6.30. I also try not to do play dates after school as these seem to completely wipe them out and end in tears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now