Help - dd crying every day at school?

(29 Posts)
itsnothingoriginal Wed 11-Sep-13 11:03:25

DD has just started yr 2 and has cried and sobbed her heart out every morning both this term and last term when I leave her at school. The teacher is great - offers rewards to try to stop her clinging on and crying but it seems to be getting worse not better sad

She is very able to talk about her feelings but I can't get a single consistent reason why she doesn't like school. When she's there she's fine apparently and she is doing really well so not finding the work hard or anything like that.

Does anyone have any tips or strategies that have helped them with this? It's only my dd that seems to get upset in the class and kids seem to be generally really happy at the school. It's just horrible leaving her every day in such a state.

itsnothingoriginal Fri 13-Sep-13 17:07:46

Oh dear sad

Hopefully next week things will change..

Interesting about the separation anxiety you had yourself at school - made me think that dd has been overly upset about dh or I going out anywhere in the evenings. DH went away for a few days recently and she was inconsolable. Maybe it's all part of the same thing..

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Tue 17-Sep-13 14:44:23

I love DS' TA. She's got it sorted this week - we have perfected the dump-and-run technique where I say a quick goodbye and hand him straight over to her, upon which she gives him something to do instantly. It seems to be working. <phew>

itsnothingoriginal Tue 17-Sep-13 21:48:18

I'm so pleased you cracked it this week theseboots smile

So much nicer leaving them at school when they are happy and occupied!

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Tue 17-Sep-13 22:05:08

Oh yes.

I think you might be right about the wider seperation anxiety issue. Thinking about your last but one post, just lately DS really doesn't like DH working nights and he often comes through for a cuddle at 3am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now