In Year Admissions Bucks (Gt Miss/Prestwood)

(12 Posts)
sleepingischeating Mon 07-Oct-13 19:54:04

Safagirl, which school are you referring to and why? Welcome to send me a pm if that's better!

safagirl74 Thu 03-Oct-13 18:37:47

I would consider looking into the school very closely, if you are looking for pastoral care for your child, this is NOT the school for you....

sleepingischeating Mon 30-Sep-13 17:24:08

Ps dc1 is 6 in jan 2014 so will be going inti year 2 in sep 2014

sleepingischeating Sun 29-Sep-13 17:51:41

Thank you everyone and sorry for the tardy response. Am checking out various schools next week (including lee, little missenden, gateway and speen possibly). I know all about hs2, here's hoping they pull the plug: ).

BlackMogul Fri 06-Sep-13 20:21:06

Gt Missenden Combined is a top school. One of the best. It takes children from Lee Common School so you could look at them for younger DC. Can you not phone the school about what the position is likely to be in the year groups you want? Also look at Wendover schools which are not far away and I would maybe have a look at Little Kingshill too. This is also a 4-11 school. I would move to Gt Missenden catchment however but be prepared to go to school elsewhere if you have to, but you may not need to.

ModeratelyObvious Fri 06-Sep-13 16:01:53

When did DS1 turn 6? If it was before sep 1 you will be needing a year 2 place.

You also need to apply by 15 Jan 2014 for a year 3 place, which will be based on your current address, so you will end up being a late applicant for year 3 too if you don't come back until April.

When does your 3 year old turn 4? The same will apply to them if it is before 31 aug 2014 - you need to apply for a reception place.

Can you move back before 15 Jan 2014?

Karoleann Thu 05-Sep-13 22:50:42

Incidentally, just though I'd mention that the HS2 is due to go though prestwood / great mssenden.

sleepingischeating Thu 05-Sep-13 21:57:50

Thanks all. Agggh, what a palaver it all is: )

ipadquietly Thu 05-Sep-13 21:31:57

You'll need to arrange housing and then you'll be allocated a school as mummy says. Bucks allocate places based on where you live. Schools have no say whatsoever - we get what we're given!

mummymellymoo Thu 05-Sep-13 19:22:37

Here's a link to the council's admissions booklet (http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/136051/primary-schools-directory-2013.pdf) listing all the schools in Bucks and how many places were offered and to which criteria, which will give you a bit of an idea as to whether schools are oversubscribed. Having a quick peek down the list, the Great Missenden/Prestwood schools seemed to be able to offer places to every applicant in 2013, probably reflecting the fact that it's a moneyed area and many go private. If all applicants were offered places it would imply there won't be a waiting list or only a small waiting list for in-year admissions.

We went through a year 1 in-year admission in Aylesbury (same council) a couple of years ago and I know the council can be a bit difficult to get hold of and it can be real pot luck whether you get a good admissions officer to talk to. It may be that you need to be more specific in terms of location or school and that's why they're being unhelpful - we had specific address to move to and list of schools. It is also probably the wrong time of year as there is a real shortage of places in some areas and they are probably dealing with movement of waiting lists at the mo, it being the beginning of a new school year. I think they also prefer email/written contact as they don't like discussing stuff over the phone.

If you are having real problems, I have the email address of a really helpful lady who was really good at giving me place and waiting list info - I assume she's still there. PM me and I can give it to you.

12345Floris Thu 05-Sep-13 16:28:18

By referencing the online admission statistics showing which schools were over or undersubscribed in past years, their according criteria and the Ofsted reports as to which are the least popular schools, you should get an idea of whether thes any hope.

My daughter has been 11 months on a waiting list in a large provincial, nondescript East Midlands town and they can't even offer her a Year 2 space in the worst Ofsted graded school.

You should ever wait until Yearn3 when class sizes are open, or move anyway and be prepad to commute the child to a school, not necessarily in the same town. (Village? I vaguely remember Gt. Missenden being a village once, I went to secondary in Rickmansworth and children commuted from there. Although it was probably the only Catholic school in the area for miles around).

sleepingischeating Thu 05-Sep-13 14:36:55

Hello, I am currently overseas but thinking of moving back to the UK April 2014. DCs are 3 and 6. I'm looking at primary schools in Gt Missenden and Prestwood but have no idea if there's any chance of getting DC1 in mid way through year 1 (I think?). Bucks CC are very secretive and won't tell me which schools have spaces/oversubscribed, which is annoying because I want to find a school and then arrange housing. Does anyone know how to find out? Also is it very disruptive to move back halfway through a school year - should i grit my teetch and wait another year..(when DC1 will be even more settled here..)? Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere...Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now