Is anyone REALLY sad about their offspring starting school?

(89 Posts)
YesAnastasia Sun 01-Sep-13 21:45:01

I am. Is anyone else?

everlong Tue 03-Sep-13 12:51:06

I think when your youngest/last child starts school it's always sad.

Ds5 has just gone back into year3. He's in the prep now which seems much more grown up than the kindergarten. I feel a bit sad about that if I'm honest.

But it's part of life. Changing and moving on. It's all good.

Can't wait to pick him up at 3.45 though wink

WingDefence Tue 03-Sep-13 13:01:56

DS started this morning and I was really excited for him - the school he's going to is fantastic and I wish I was primary age again!

I wasn't upset at all, until I had to fight back the tears as he waved then turned back into line and went into his classroom for the first time.

But that's because I'm proud of him as well as little sad at the fact he's growing up so quickly - cliché but it's true. I do have DD who's 5mo so it's not my last go at this and I think it'll be harder when she goes as that'll be the end of the lovely young child stage unless I persuade DH to have more

PeanutButterOnly Tue 03-Sep-13 20:54:07

I felt sad when the last one, DC3, finished nursery in July but what with working 4 days I feel that I'm not at home with him much anyway so it won't make too much difference now he's in school. That is quite sad isn't it sad I feel a bit distressed that I won't be there to pick him up on the first or second day but am rushing home from work at lunchtime tomorrow so that I can drop him off (he's doing afternoons only). He's only 4.0 so part of me is in denial about him really going to school. Elder DS was a summer born but didn't go till Easter.

Just waved DS off this morning.

We went past his preschool on the way and he knocked on the window and shouted 'I'm going to SCHOOL!' grin <not got prickly eyes at all, 'onest guv>

FadedSapphire Wed 04-Sep-13 16:52:45

My second/last child starts reception soon [staggered start]. May have to think about paid work [volunteer lots at mo]. Scary after long break.
For moment will use time in Reception to sort out cluttered, decaying house and garden plus 'up' my very poor computer skills in preparation for possible work. Will keep up volunteer stuff for time being.
So part of sadness is slight panic at change in my status [plus comments from others like 'so you must be going back to work soon then'. Not straight away I reply and get slightly judgemental looks from some]...
Money is tight but don't like assumption that I should start work again immediately.

BoffinMum Sat 07-Sep-13 09:56:13

Well mine howled and howled both days this week. hmmhmmhmmBereft, he was.

FadedSapphire Sat 07-Sep-13 10:09:17

I have feeling BoffinMum I may have problems with mine. At fun intro morning last week he clung to my skirt and went very shy despite knowing many of the children. Also due to staggered intake does not start half days til mid next week. We'll see.....

MrsDibble Wed 11-Sep-13 21:47:41

Not really sad but I do feel like it is only minutes since dd was a baby.

She is completely ready for school (October b'day) and has been in nursery/preschool so shouldn't really seem a big deal, but there is something about "big school" that says they are growing up.

Lucyadams184 Thu 12-Sep-13 14:50:39

My youngest started school yesterday, I feel a little sad because it's my baby growing up but she loved it. My daughter was really excited about it to the point that she ran in our room wearing her uniform to wake us up. We got the biggest grin as we left her going into her class.

My daughter is a October b'day so she was well ready for it although when my son started a couple of years ago I was more worried as he is a August birthday.

BoffinMum Thu 12-Sep-13 20:59:56

Mine is still howling and pegged it down the street today away from the school gate. I had to fireman's lift him into class. We had a pow wow in the school office and the Family Support Worker is now involved. You could say it's not going well. hmm On the other hand he comes home chatting away about all the nice things he did at school. wink

PeanutButterOnly Fri 13-Sep-13 20:36:59

Good luck BoffinMum. That sounds quite hard but it's good he comes away happy. All children are different in their reactions. My DS (now 9) used to cry about going to assembly when he started school. His younger brother 4.0 has started and is very cheerful about going in. However, I'm thinking that he is having to be more like a 5 year old at school with the consequence that at home he reverts to being more like a 3 year old. I had to carry him home part-way today, sobbing crossly because he had bashed his brother for something inconsequential and in the process inadvertently blown the seeds off the dandelion he'd picked. Ho hum, we'll what going full time next week is like!

BoffinMum Mon 16-Sep-13 11:55:18

Right, he only cried once we had penetrated the classroom today, so I suppose that is progress. However a factor in this is that his dad was gripping his wrist. I sent him in with his prize winning marrow from the under 5s class in the village show, so he's got something to show the other kids and teachers. That might calm him down a bit.

Bumblequeen Mon 16-Sep-13 15:55:43

I am a little sad that dd is growing so quickly. However I did not cry when she started school. To be fair dd has attended nursery full time since 11 months so she is used to being away from me for long periods of time. Not entirely happy about that but I had to work

I am a little jealous of those of you part timers/sahm's who spent your days/afternoons with your dcs in the park/coffee shops. I always felt so rushed dropping and collecting dd which was shared with dh. We used to collect her at 6pm daily. Feel terribly guilty. sad

MummyPigsFatTummy Mon 16-Sep-13 16:40:19

Oh God - I still have a whole year to go before DD starts and this thread is making me sad already! I will have to really treasure our Fridays together this year, I think.

Mind you, the whole primary school application process has me in a complete panic already and it is only September!

I feel for you, OP sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now